Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #451
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Friday was the last gentlemen's race of the year - and it was a WET one!

I was pretty happy because it meant I finally had a chance to try my rain-grooved R888s that I bought 2 years ago.

Just as I was about to head out for qualifying, I tried my wipers and found out they weren't working (passenger one was too low and getting stuck on the windshield). By the time I removed it, I had missed about 1/2 of the 25 min session.

I head out, and instantly my windshield fogs up to the point where I can BARELY see the track - talk about scary! I come into the pits, dad wipes off my windshield, and it happens again (not as bad though). I do another lap, then come in again. Dad wipes it off and I go back out - do 1 lap and get checkered flagged.... ugh - ended up qualifying last in GT1 with a 1:42.2.

Turns out Jamie was having the same issue - I knew we had to do something.... I found a bottle of armor all, and figured, what have I got to lose? Sprayed it on the windshield, smeared it in a bit, and crossed my fingers.

Race time! now that I have a clear winshield, things are looking better (pun intended). Green flag drops, and I start getting in the groove. Lap after lap I gain on the cars in front - my car, for what seems like the first time this year, is handling AWESOME. I got a quick alignment done friday morning and it seems to have paid off!

Anyways, by the end of the race, I was in 2nd!!! I'd moved through the whole field. My lap times were consistently in the 1:34 +-1 except for a few where I got down to the 1:30s - 12 seconds faster than qualifying!

It was a ton of fun and a great way to end the series. Next stop, Mosport on Oct 8!

1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #452
sb_600
5th Gear Member

A great end to the season! Monday a bunch of us headed to CTMP/Mosport for ASE's last lapping day of the year.

It was cold, but the sun was shining. I ran the first session on my rain-grooved R888s thinking the track would be slick and I wouldn't build any heat in the tires. Well I was amazed at the grip there was, so i switched to my continentals for the rest of the day.

It was awesome - I was running consistent 1:36s with my recorded best in the 1:35s. I'm pretty sure my last session was the fastest, but my GoPro died, so there's no video evidence.

Anyways, here's a compilation of some of the highlights of the day:

Here are my best (recorded) laps of the day:

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #453
sb_600
5th Gear Member

One of my co-workers just uploaded a video of a couple of my runs + some spectator pics/video from the last autoX I did back in August:

This was when my V710s were corded/flatspotted, so I was just out to have some fun

Last edited by sb_600; 10-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #454
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Amazing Amazing!! glad I was apart of this great 2012
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #455
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Couldn't have done it without you dude!

Plans for winter/next season:

-Install M3 bumper
-Build & install fiberglass trunk
-Build & install fibreglass hood
-Install linear rear springs (thinking 800lbs/in) - currently on progressive
-Paint the SSRs
-Slot front strut towers (still don't have enough camber capability)
-Finish the few little things here and there that I never had time for last year
-Repaint the car (or at least the green panels)
-Buy RA1s

Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #456
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

It's impressive that you got this back on the road for this season still! Congrats and you're driving well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #457
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Thanks Malcolm! It was a busy year, that's for sure!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #458
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Saturday, I went over to Jamie's and we made a mould from his hood for 2-door e36s. It's curing now - he should be taking it off in the next day or so. After that, just need to sand/touch up the mould, then we can manufacture some 2-door hoods. Once those are done and up to standards, we'll work on the 4-door hood for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0854sm.jpg (166.1 KB, 72 views)

Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #459
HaLo
2nd Gear Member

hmmm... interesting... would be very interested in a hood.
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #460
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

haha sweet!! Doors, bumpers, and mirrors next??
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #461
sb_600
5th Gear Member

LOL nope - too much moolah

Plus, if I run GT challenge next year I have to add 250lbs to the car... I'm doing the hood to get the weight off the front end and have a better weight ratio, and then possibly the trunk, but that will just mean more ballast.

I have to figure out my plans for next year first - it's looking like a repeat of last year + doing the Ted Powell Race weekend at CMP (don't know if I'm going to run GT Challenge or Super Production Challenge yet).

Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #462
Aero
2nd Gear Member

I'll be doing a small layup addition of flange reinforcements and mold bracing before I separate it from the plug. Should have it off by the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo View Post
hmmm... interesting... would be very interested in a hood.
Once I get a part pulled from the mold, I'll do an assessment of what an appropriate cost would be to make a small production run feasible. That said, the cost will likely be less than other options on the market, mostly due construction methods and part characteristics that better align with the priorities of a track car. The target weight is 7 lbs. Shoot me a message if you're interested so I can plan accordingly.

- Jamie

My Youtube Channel
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #463
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
I'll be doing a small layup addition of flange reinforcements and mold bracing before I separate it from the plug. Should have it off by the weekend.

Once I get a part pulled from the mold, I'll do an assessment of what an appropriate cost would be to make a small production run feasible. That said, the cost will likely be less than other options on the market, mostly due construction methods and part characteristics that better align with the priorities of a track car. The target weight is 7 lbs. Shoot me a message if you're interested so I can plan accordingly.

- Jamie
Hey Jamie,

Great work so far! Here are some points which I'm sure you've taken into consideration, but just in case:

- make sure there is a perpendicular ridge (1/2" or so) along each side of the hood. This will give it HUGE structural rigidity. We had once without, and it flexed and bent like crazy. V2 was the same, except it had the ridge ... stable as any steel hood. Also a good H pattern of structural foam over teh center to provide stiffness.
- The e36 hood hinges are the worst design in the world ... they crack the windshield everytime if hood is openned too far. The e46 hinges are far superior ... If you could incorporate those into the design, you would save someone's windshild for sure! I have a set you can use for mockups. With a light hood, the wind WILL grab it and break windshields ... been there done that
- Make sure the hinge mount points, and any other bolt-in holes are well secured and reinforced. Nothing worse than blind well nuts pulling out of FG or CF pieces (like on our way too expensive wings)

Keep it up! You know you have at least one customer waiting with cash in hand, and likely a second as well (Luc B).
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #464
Aero
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input, Arek! Indeed, the hoods will have the OEM-like flanges along the left and right sides. Also, a stiffener pattern will be used, with the core material being a special polyester 'volumizer' designed just for the job.

I wasn't aware that the e46 hinges would be preferable. I haven't finalized how I'm going to interface with the rear hinges yet, so I'm sure we can make it work with the e46 ones. The front will be hood-pin only; no support for the OEM latching mechanism.

My Youtube Channel
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #465
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Thanks for the input, Arek! Indeed, the hoods will have the OEM-like flanges along the left and right sides. Also, a stiffener pattern will be used, with the core material being a special polyester 'volumizer' designed just for the job.

I wasn't aware that the e46 hinges would be preferable. I haven't finalized how I'm going to interface with the rear hinges yet, so I'm sure we can make it work with the e46 ones. The front will be hood-pin only; no support for the OEM latching mechanism.
Agreed on the hood pins ... for a light hood it's the only way to go. Definitely look into the e46 hinges. I'll give a set to Shawn tonight (if he finally shows up at the shop )

Also, wanna talk to you about some front aero mods I have in mind. Need some idea verification, and maybe a prototype built.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: