Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #241
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonreality View Post
All, looking for a shop in the Elgin Mills and Yonge area that can do decent maintenance on BMWs. I know Richmond Hill Fine Cars have Services but I never used them before.

I wanted to change the ATF on my 328xi and maybe a coolant flush.
Take this from someone who lost thousands of dollars to an incompetent mechanic simply because his shop was close to my home. Take your car to a good mechanic. How often do you go to the mechanic few times a year? Drive 20 minutes extra and get the job done right the first time rather than keep wasting money and time on a fool.

Anyway, I can only recommend RMP Motors: http://www.rmpmotors.com/
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #242
Antonreality
1st Gear Newbie

Anyone know if Advanced Knowledge Automotive is still in business on Newkirik Dr.
Antonreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #243
Antonreality
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Take this from someone who lost thousands of dollars to an incompetent mechanic simply because his shop was close to my home. Take your car to a good mechanic. How often do you go to the mechanic few times a year? Drive 20 minutes extra and get the job done right the first time rather than keep wasting money and time on a fool.

Anyway, I can only recommend RMP Motors: http://www.rmpmotors.com/

Appreciate the advice.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #244
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonreality View Post
Anyone know if Advanced Knowledge Automotive is still in business on Newkirik Dr.
Easiest way to find out is to call them 905-883-4269

http://411.ca/business/profile/4694478
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #245
Antonreality
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Easiest way to find out is to call them 905-883-4269

http://411.ca/business/profile/4694478
I tried that number, out of service message...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #246
bmw32atexi
1st Gear Newbie

I took my 328 to Alphawerx (John st/Bayview ave) a few weeks ago. Had the coolant changed. First experience with garage was great. Darren the mechanic, was efficient, friendly and knowledgeable. He provided options/suggestions and let me choose. He made sure to mix the coolant with distilled water. After any fluid change I always check for liquid under the car. Usually I get some after a change of fluid. But this time, not a drop, simply amazing.

Yesterday, I had a front light changed. Darren changed it in under 15 minutes. If I had tried myself I probably would have spent a few hours. His experience shows through.

I can definitely say I'll bringing my cars to him in the future !
bmw32atexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #247
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw32atexi View Post
I took my 328 to Alphawerx (John st/Bayview ave) a few weeks ago. Had the coolant changed. First experience with garage was great. Darren the mechanic, was efficient, friendly and knowledgeable. He provided options/suggestions and let me choose. He made sure to mix the coolant with distilled water. After any fluid change I always check for liquid under the car. Usually I get some after a change of fluid. But this time, not a drop, simply amazing.

Yesterday, I had a front light changed. Darren changed it in under 15 minutes. If I had tried myself I probably would have spent a few hours. His experience shows through.

+1

Darren has done all the work on my 325i and his knowledge of BMW's is very high, plus he's just all around a really nice guy and I like doing business with him.
Barnsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #248
RockerGuy
DIYer

I just used Perfection Auto in Scarboro. Its around Markham/Eglinton.
The guy used to work for BMW Toronto. The staff there is curteous. They charge $79/hr

http://www.directory4cars.com/direct...ugh/cdi/161422
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #249
02E46M3
1st Gear Newbie

RMP Motors for my M3....
Although I’ve owned a BMW for 26 years, I’m a newbie to maXBimmer forums, but wanted to share my story with everyone.
Two weeks ago, I was told by a BMW dealership ( will stay anonymous for now ) in the GTA ( Toronto ) my entire SMG transmission on my 2002 E46 M3 required replacing because the actuator wasn’t working and was the cause of skipping gears ( 2nd to 5th ), and that part wasn’t sold separately. They said it could also be the “Gear Selection Sensor” and gave me a $10,554.20 ( excluding labour ) estimate for a complete SMG replacement. They also gave me an estimate for a new clutch ( $2,990.75, excluding labour ) they recommended replacing since the transmission is already out. I was absolutely livid... and told them to forget it ( among other words ). Can’t tell how being hit with a $15,000 estimate to fix your car feels.....
After hearing about RMP Motors on various forums, I took my car to Rocco for a 2nd opinion and gave him the “Operating Report” ( fault report ) I paid $150 for at this dealership. Before Rocco even test drove the car, he said, “From the report, it looks like it needs the sensor and a tranny learning procedure”. Well, that was it ! Rocco saved me at least $12,000 either by the loss of trade in value, or spending the money at the dealership for nothing.
How a dealership could so grossly misdiagnose an SMG issue, is completely unacceptable. I’ve also sent BMW Canada a registered letter informing them they are ripping off customers.
To anyone who is bringing their non-warranty work to any dealership, do so at your own risk. They’ll never see me again. I have a technical background, so it didn’t “smell” right to me for a tranny with less 90,000 KM needed to be replaced under normal use.
I’ll be taking my M3 to RMP Motors without hesitation from now on. Rocco knows BMWs...
I`ll post back when/if I get a reply from them.
02E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #250
Not12Wrk_M3
BLKNYLO

Trevor at Advanced on Newkirk was a great mechanic... Sadly he is not there anymore and I am lost again haha
M3, KW v2's. AA header. AA exhaust. Custom Tune
Not12Wrk_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #251
Kimbo416
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw32atexi View Post

+ 1

I went to Darren because of this write up. I am thoroughly pleased as a result.

Thanks!
Kimbo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #252
tofubomb
1st Gear Newbie

Have always been taking my cars to Motor Workshop at 19 Laidlaw Blvd (Markham). Wilson's my mechanic and his boss Vincent (can seem a bit gruff) are very knowledgeable. They work fast but don't sacrifice quality. If you're in the area you can check them out!
tofubomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #253
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

This thread is never ending: Bimmersport for me and my cars
E90 328i Xdrive (Current)
Pierce330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #254
bmw32atexi
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo416 View Post
+ 1

I went to Darren because of this write up. I am thoroughly pleased as a result.

Thanks!
Glad you found this post useful. I actually brought my car in recently for a oil change and a annoying noise whenever I went over big speed bumps and occasionally when I made a turn from a stopped position. Sounded like I was bottoming out and scraping mud flaps (except that I don't have any) or grinding something. I did a bit of research in forums and it seemed like the culprit were sway bar bushings. Apparently very common in the E90 3-series. I originally figured I'd just have them changed.

Darren checked it out to ensure it was still safe to drive. Instead of replacing them, he suggested a more cost effective approach would be to grease them well and see if the noise went away.

Needless to say, after he greased them, the first thing I did was hit a few speed bumps at various speeds to bounce the car and check if the noise persisted. Glad to say the noise is gone for now. If the noise comes back I'll have him change the sway bar bushings to Polyurethane versus the stock rubber BMW OEM ones that are there now.

Another satisfied repeat customer !
bmw32atexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #255
Monaco_N54
1st Gear Newbie

Rocco @ RMP.

He's the only mechanic I look forward to take my car to (even see him for my winter wheel swap).

He's a professional that goes above and beyond and keeps my best interests in mind when I hand him the keys to my baby. After my car comes off warranty (very soon) I doubt I'll be going anywhere else.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: