Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Michel
6th Gear Member

Stretched Tire got unmounted

Hey guys,

so I'm running a 245/35 on a 10" rim so it isn't one of those crazy stretches, but basically the other day my tire came off the rim (dismounted itself). I had this wheel refinished about a month ago, could it be that it was not properly remounted? What can cause a tire to un-mount itself this way? The tire was basically in brand new condition too...

thanks,
Mike
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Did it happen in a corner?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Michel
6th Gear Member

^not sure, my brother was driving and didnt notice until he slowly took a turn and the car lost control. We don't drive it that aggressively with this setup eitherway. I'm hoping it just wasn't properly mounted that way I can somewhat be sure that that was the problem...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
325isStephen
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
^not sure, my brother was driving and didnt notice until he slowly took a turn and the car lost control. We don't drive it that aggressively with this setup eitherway. I'm hoping it just wasn't properly mounted that way I can somewhat be sure that that was the problem...
Either the tire was not mounted properly and was therefore not fully seated, or your tire pressure was low.

When you run a stretched tire you have to keep in mind that it is very hard if not impossible to tell if the tire is low on air by physical appearance. You need to be checking your pressures often to ensure it does not run low on air, as with any tire, stretched or not, that will cause tire failure and possible unseating of the bead.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Michel
6th Gear Member

^thanks, I figured it might have also been tire pressure... even then, doesn't it take like 90psi to pop the bead when first mounting? In daily driving, I don't think tires can flex enough (above 90psi's worth) to get them off the rim? I'm probably mistaken though...

also, what do you guys recommend for tire pressure? Should I stick close to the max of what it says on the sidewall?

Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
325isStephen
Drifter

I run 35-40 psi with a 205/40 on an 8 inch wide rim. I ran about 40 psi when I was running a 205/50 on a 9.5 inch wide rim.

I have never had problems on either, personally I stick to the 40 ish psi mark. Its what I have found to be a safe bet on my setups.

With your set up 40-45 psi is what I would recommend, but I've never run any profile smaller then 40 so far.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Be very mindful of your PSI's when running stretched tires. Also, some tires have sidewalls more friendly to stretching. Mystikal might be able to shed some light, i dont know much about tires.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
crxgsr
BMW

I would say low tire pressure too.

Basically, if the tire's not properly seated, whoever's doing the balancing should notice right away, if not by looking at the tire as it spins, but by the huge amounts of weights their putting on.

So probably check to see if the tire's leaking (nail hole or whatever) too since it's getting put back on.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
tire pressure for sure. Happened to me. I was running 205/45 Kumho's on a 8.5" wide wheel and tire the dismounted itself mid corner (i wasn't drifting ) and I noticed a nasty nail in it.

Even if its not properly seated it won't hold air at all.

Ivan, you can stretch anything lol. I had a buddy stretch 225 Rt 615's on a 10.5" rim.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Low tire pressure and a tire mounted to work against itself in the mounted position, I wouldn't be supprised if it popped off.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Killerbimmer
1st Gear Newbie

i defnetly dont think its a mounting issue, we all love doing the stretched rubber. I had a similar experience, and when i called the tire company , they basically told me that no manufactuer recommends doing this and i am on my own ! FML
Killerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Well ya don't expect a manufacturer to back you when stretching.

Like Stephen I run around 40psi in my stretched rubber.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Michel
6th Gear Member

lol wow thread revival! Pretty sure it was low pressure. I sold the car last winter and told the new owner to watch out for tire pressure with these (he had no clue what stretching tires was). Needless to say, he had a tire unmount in the freezing cold because he hadn't checked the tire pressure when the weather changed..
Another one bites the dust! lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: