Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #91
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, October 5, 2012 --

Today I got to the shop with the intention to degrease and power wash my bay, but as always, nothing goes as planned. I started removing everything that was left in the bay, including that damn brake booster. Reading most build threads on here, a lot of people complained about the brake booster, and I finally realized that they are right. I still got the thing out after an hour of messing around under neath the dash. The heater core is out for good as I will not roll the car in cold weather. The fire wall insulation or whatever it is, gone and is not going back. ABS pump is gone and so are the brake lines.
Next step is taking out the fuse box. Im not looking forward to that. Here are the pics.

mtlbloodshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #92
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 --

So, after doing some research, I found that removing the fuse box is a big pain. I just pulled the wires as much as I could from under the dash and pulled the fuse box to the side. The throttle cable was removed and so was the clutch master. Since it was a beautiful fall afternoon in Montreal, I rolled the car out of the garage and pressure washed the bay with some intense degreaser. I scrubbed as much I could with a metal brush and had to use scotch bright for the tight spots. The bay looks very clean now, except for the rust spots on the rad support but for a car that was driven in the winter, its fairly clean. My body shop guy said everything will be good. The shock towers are in great condition. Plan... shave all the holes in the bay and possibly do a wire tuck.

Continued next post....
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #93
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #94
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Saturday, October 20, 2012 --

Woke up early to get some work done on the car.
Got to the garage to see beautiful boxes on the floor waiting for me. Front and back rebuilt GIRLING Calipers. They come with new pistons, seals and guides. All I have to do it clean up the carrier bracket and paint. Assemble.

Took about hour and a lot of cursing to get the back windows out. Glad that they're out.

Another hour to remove the floor carpet. I cut around heater core as I don't want to remove the dash. The carpet is going to be washed. Maybe dyed black. Have to have the floors redone because of the rust.

Finally finished removing the seam sealer, shaving brackets and cutting out the ugly tray on the passenger side. once it's out, the bay look even bigger than it already is.

More goodies and updates coming!!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #95
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Looks good man! Those brake calipers look really good! I'm sending mine to be sand blasted as we speak and I think dark gold would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #96
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
Looks good man! Those brake calipers look really good! I'm sending mine to be sand blasted as we speak and I think dark gold would be nice.
Thanks man. I was gonna have mine sand blasted but I got a good price for new calipers so I went with new. I haven't decided what color to paint them tho. Might do them black. That's it that's all
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #97
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Monday, October 22, 2012 --

My body guy made templates for the engine bay. This is going to be a real engine bay shave. No holes, no brackets. Maybe a wire tuck.

Painted one of the rear calipers. It's now drying. Probably going to assemble it tomorrow with the pads just to see how it looks all together.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #98
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
I did gold paint when I rebuilt mine and they look really good in that colour. nice to look at, but not ricer red
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #99
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 --

The first rear caliper is dry and reassembled. I'm using EBC "GREEN STUFF" pads. I was told that they do a good job. They'll be matched up with Brembo discs. Here are the photos.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #100
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Well I'm walking over to my car and pulling the calipers off to be sandblasted right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #101
Chefskinny
2nd Gear Member

your going to need the heater core to defog the windows dude, even in summer!
Chefskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #102
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefskinny View Post
your going to need the heater core to defog the windows dude, even in summer!
Why would I need to defog the windows in the summer when its 35 degrees. The last two summers I never used the heating once.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #103
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Saturday, October 27, 2012 --

Yesterday afternoon I got the rad support I ordered from BMW. It took 2 weeks to arrive because it was brought it from Germany. The car was hit in the front a while back and the rad support was crooked and rusted. Opted to change for a brand new to not have problems. Mad expensive. 330$.

Test fitted my wheels in the back just to see if the fender needed to be pulled, rolled or cut the inner lip.
Since the car is going on air ride, I removed the spring and compressed the shock as much I could before the tire touched the fender. With a roll, it should be perfect according to my measurements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6RLqdg9jr4&feature=plcp
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #104
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Monday, October 29, 2012 --

It's a while I've been hoping that when this day would come, everything would go nice and smoothly. Thankfully it did. My rear subframe dropped without any problems. I took it down as a whole. I placed a transmission lifter to hold it up as I backed the big bolts that come down from under the rear seats. As I started to remove the nuts, I felt that the subframe was coming down on her own. Dropped the car down and placed two jack stands on each side and a car jack under the diff. Maybe pouring Rost Off down into the holes for a week helped.

Moved on to removing the front crossmember and steering rack etc;

Block off plate for the blower motor in the engine bay was cleaned, sanded and painted with a wrinkle high heat. It's the same paint I used to paint my Valve Cover. Came out great.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #105
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 --

Yesterday I cut off the rivets on the steering joints. Dumped them in degreaser, scotch bright and degrease again. Left those to sit over night.
Arrived at the shop, gave them a quick rinse and a dry. Got started on assembly of the AKG E30 - E36 Steering Rack Conversion Kit with the Poly Urethane Flex Shaft Coupling. Everything went well and looks good too.

Having the right tools to do something is the greatest thing someone can ask for. I removed all the bushings that were stuck in the subframe and the trailing arms in roughly an hour. Since I'll be using a Z3M diff, I had to remove the output flanges from my stock diff. Very easy.

Good news, My rear bags were ordered today that I way modify the trailing arms before I sent them to sandblast/powder coat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: