Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

E39 MP3 Media Player

I have a 2002 525i executive edition car with no CD changer or navigation option; it has the Business CD option. I want to be able to play MP3S with good sound quality so I don't want an FM tuner. Since my CD player can't play MP3 and I don't want to change the original looks for the dash I am thinking of something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-SD-MP3-Pl...ht_5827wt_1398

I like the idea because it doesn't change the original dash looks, and it is cheap and plays MP3s. But before I buy it, I want to know if anybody has tried and it works as advertised. So any helpful tips will be much appreciated.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
JayArras
E60 Fan

Funny you should post your request

I happen to have what your're looking for, it's a more elegant solution than what you posted, it won't cost you a whole lot, and you won't have to change your radio at all!

Check out the post I made earlier: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153050

If you're intrigued, let's talk. I really love this system, but can't use it in my E60.

Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phatbox.jpg (30.2 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by JayArras; 09-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
richmak
4th Gear Member

get a Dynavin ... you won't regret it.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I happen to have what your're looking for, it's a more elegant solution than what you posted, it won't cost you a whole lot, and you won't have to change your radio at all!

Check out the post I made earlier: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153050

If you're intrigued, let's talk. I really love this system, but can't use it in my E60.

Jay
What's your best price, and do you haven eBay account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmak View Post
get a Dynavin ... you won't regret it.
Too expensive.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
JayArras
E60 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
What's your best price, and do you haven eBay account?
No, I do not sell on eBay. Make me a reasonable offer.

Jay
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, but I don't know what's this unit worth. This is the first time I hear about it even though I've been searching many E39 MP3 players.

Also, how do you suggest we do the transaction if we agree on a price? Thank you.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
JayArras
E60 Fan

More Phatbox info

As I stated in my original post, the Phaxbox originally sold for about $800 (I paid $750). It satisfied a very specific need that I had (to be able to play the 500+ MP3 files that I had collected from the Napster and Kazaa days.) I didn't have a CD changer, so I used this instead. I wish I still could, because the ability to play a given song with a few pushes of my steering wheel controls was awesome!

Here is a review that ZDNet once published on the device:
http://www.zdnet.com/news/device-pro...-player/296833

This unit has been discontinued by Phatnoise, mostly because the iPod has largely taken over this segment. That's most likely why you have not heard of it. But there are not a lot of options to integrate an iPod with your car radio if you own a E39, as you have discovered. The Phatbox, however, does have a large following on the internet and there are a number of support forums.

I do have a PayPal account, so we could use that if you'd like.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, man. I am going to pass on the offer though.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
JayArras
E60 Fan

Good luck in your quest! More options will open up if you ever decide to migrate to an E60 or F10.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: