Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Ribo examination

So I went through a long and difficult process of getting hired through TD Insurance. A process that took 3 1/2 months 2 computer examinations (one behavioural and one computer skills test) and 5 interviews (3 telephone 2 face to face). I then received a conditional offer which I then needed to pass a background check of my references and as well as credit and criminal.

so FINALLY I am employed at TD and start late in September in the General insurance call centre and will be working as a broker. My first 2 weeks of training will be dedicated to obtaining the RIBO License. If I do not pass the examination with at least a 75% my employment is terminated and will once again be looking for work.

My question to any of you who are very familiar in this field (I know some of you work in insurance) how difficult is the exam? Those two weeks will be dedicated to work, then library to study the material once again. Is that enough?

did any of you pass the first time? from what i googled some have taken it and failed. But im going on the assumption that they simply did not put the hours in.

I know two exams are not the same but does anyone remember what the exam was more weighted too? or was it balanced for all knowledge?

I am nervous because of the possibility of being unemployed again and do not want to go through such a long hiatus of finding a decent paying job.

any help would be appreciated and if anyone has the LLQP? please chime in as well.

thank you
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I bet they can't talk about it like the military's app. test. All you can do is study like you mentioned. Having a balanced knowledge on all things related to the test in general is a good thing. Best of luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Hi Eric,
I did this over 10 years ago but I believe the format is still very similar.

My exam's mark allocation was this:
General 47
Habitational 18
Travel Health 5
Automobile 20
Case Study 10
As you said, there are several exams and the splits can differ.

About half of the questions were multiple choice. The rest were short answer and the case study was 2 or 3 questions answered in paragraphs.

It's not TD that imposes the 75% pass, it's RIBO. There are many people in my office who wrote this exam several times before they passed. There are equally as many who passed on the first attempt.

I'm no scholar. Exams were never my forte. However, I passed this with a comfortable margin over the cut-off, 1st attempt.

I studied 2-4 hours a night for 2 weeks. I learn by making notes, reading alone does nothing for me.

Are you doing an instructor lead course or just expected to self study?

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

thank you for the informative reply hockey fan!

I believe it is instructor lead if i remember correctly, but would not be surprised if it is self study. I really hope it is not self study because I thrive in a class room environment, but learning something on your own especially not knowing any of the jargon such as; "peril" and "hazard" can be daunting.

the one thing that does trip me out is the "termination of employment if passing grade is not attained"

so there is a lot more pressure involved knowing that this could be it if I don't pass...

will definetely be putting similiar study numbers as you if it is instructor lead, but if its self study. yeeeeshhh, 10 hours a day seems reasonable. lol

Ill keep this thread updated on a semi regular basis so someone can know how difficult (or easy) it is to go from "not knowing anything about insurance" to a "strong insurance acumen"

cheers
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
///tyron
4th Gear Member

The exam is HARD, i passed it a few months ago on my second attempt. I decided to go into another field though and not go into insurance. Its pretty much like learning a new langauge when it comes to learning insurance.

I opted for the 3 month course instead of the 2 week course because there was no way i'd be able to take in more than 500 pages of info in that short amount of time. I think you have to get a minimum passing grade of 75% my first attempt i got 73% and failed.

The exam is long and you have to read the question 2 or 3 times to fully understand what the question is asking, one word can change the whole sentence structure. So make sure you read the questions carefully and thoroughly.

One word of advice, dont go into the exam thinking its going to be easy. They touch on everything in the insurance binder (700+ pages)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///tyron View Post
The exam is HARD, i passed it a few months ago on my second attempt. I decided to go into another field though and not go into insurance. Its pretty much like learning a new langauge when it comes to learning insurance.

I opted for the 3 month course instead of the 2 week course because there was no way i'd be able to take in more than 500 pages of info in that short amount of time. I think you have to get a minimum passing grade of 75% my first attempt i got 73% and failed.

The exam is long and you have to read the question 2 or 3 times to fully understand what the question is asking, one word can change the whole sentence structure. So make sure you read the questions carefully and thoroughly.

One word of advice, dont go into the exam thinking its going to be easy. They touch on everything in the insurance binder (700+ pages)
Good advice. Definitely read the questions thoroughly!

I think that being fresh to the industry and the jargon can actually work to your benefit. People who worked in our office for a few years in other capacities, who then apply for their licence, have had a harder time passing the exam in the first go. The insurance companies attempt to make things easier for brokers by packaging coverage and using clever nick names for endorsement. It can get very confusing.

If it is instructor lead, you will likely get a few sample exams which are invaluable for learning the phrasing of the questions and getting comfortable with the format.

The 2 week crash course is a lot at once but I feel it helped me; when it was exam time, it was all fresh in my head.

If you have any questions along the way feel free to ask!

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Wow, sounds like you were getting hired for ther secret service!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

wow 5 interviews... call centre? are they paying you at least $75K?

all i would say is don't do call centre unless you have no other options. once in the call centre youre stuck there for life and the stigma associated with it.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
wow 5 interviews... call centre? are they paying you at least $75K?

all i would say is don't do call centre unless you have no other options. once in the call centre youre stuck there for life and the stigma associated with it.

Starting salary for general insurance brokers are between 35-45K and im in and around there which im very pleased with.

Its impossible finding a decent paying job out there if your under 25 and applying under the "careers" section on the company website. The game of numbers simply will not work unless your applying to mcdonalds,ikea,rona,home depot.

you have to go on to the companies website, research there mission statement, there annual report anything with a fistful of names of employees that make hiring decisions. Find out the email nomenclature, fire off your resume, cover letter and a story about how badly you want to work for there company. Ask them if they could forward your resume to someone who makes hiring decisions. Then wait a few days and follow up with them, with another email or phone call.

ALL OF THAT WORK FOR A POSITION AT ONE COMPANY.

or if you know somebody get a "hook up" and then have a formality interview.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
///tyron
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
Starting salary for general insurance brokers are between 35-45K and im in and around there which im very pleased with.

Its impossible finding a decent paying job out there if your under 25 and applying under the "careers" section on the company website. The game of numbers simply will not work unless your applying to mcdonalds,ikea,rona,home depot.

you have to go on to the companies website, research there mission statement, there annual report anything with a fistful of names of employees that make hiring decisions. Find out the email nomenclature, fire off your resume, cover letter and a story about how badly you want to work for there company. Ask them if they could forward your resume to someone who makes hiring decisions. Then wait a few days and follow up with them, with another email or phone call.

ALL OF THAT WORK FOR A POSITION AT ONE COMPANY.

or if you know somebody get a "hook up" and then have a formality interview.
No its not, brokers work on comission. For the first 2 years youre going to have to work under supervision.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Sorry Tyron your right, I was assuming so since my interviewer told me I would need to get the RIBO certification.

but my position inside of TD Insurance is "Client Service Analyst"

edit: im a complete noob when it comes to the industry... post secondary education thinks its more important to do SWOT analysis then to teach you industry layouts.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

lol SWOT **** hated that shit.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
daytona
6th Gear Member

damn my buddy working on the shipping docks makes $48,000 a year and hes been there less than 5 years.....not even high school graduate...and he complaining about getting "underpaid"....
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Gezzz... Once I finish my C.E.T. cert in college, I'll be making around 75k Then it's only up from there.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
LOSO
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Gezzz... Once I finish my C.E.T. cert in college, I'll be making around 75k Then it's only up from there.
Certified Engineering Technologist? Base salary is 75k?
LOSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: