Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
L1V3N 1T
2nd Gear Member

coilovers!!

hey guys! just got an E30 and i want to find a great set ove coilovers. i will be tracking the car next year so i want full adjust ability.
interested to see what others are running out there.
thanks
L1V3N 1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
BMe30
all by chance...

Im on koni yellow (rebound adjustable) with ground control coilovers.. 375lb front and 475lb rear. Im thinking of going with a softer front and stiffer rear though...

If i were u id find shocks that adjust compression and rebound.

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

What's your budget?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

If you're serious about tracking the car, look into AST or Ground Control coils.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

BC racing has a new kit that is pretty amazing.
If I had an e30 i'd go with those, definitely the best bang for your buck.

Make sure you custom order your spring rates. The off the shelf rates are usually too soft.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
BC racing has a new kit that is pretty amazing.
If I had an e30 i'd go with those, definitely the best bang for your buck.

Make sure you custom order your spring rates. The off the shelf rates are usually too soft.
How is the new kit different than the old kit? Their website doesn't show any pictures. Does it still require cutting and welding?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
How is the new kit different than the old kit? Their website doesn't show any pictures. Does it still require cutting and welding?
Maybe it's the same that your talking about, by new I mean it wasn't around when I was in the e30 game, only found out about it recently.

But yea the knuckle needs to be cut off and welded. The end product is much better looking than the GC sleeves. Plus the strut bodies themselves are height adjustable, meaning no more cutting and shortening the strut tubes like you did. The units themselves are adjustable, so you don't have to worry about bottoming out the strut when you are slammed.

First pic I found.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
But yea the knuckle needs to be cut off and welded. The end product is much better looking than the GC sleeves. Plus the strut bodies themselves are height adjustable, meaning no more cutting and shortening the strut tubes like you did. The units themselves are adjustable, so you don't have to worry about bottoming out the strut when you are slammed.
Yeah, being able to adjust the height of the strut body is definitely a nice advantage, but unless you're going to be going from slammed in the summer to 4x4 in the winter it's something where you set it and forget it.

Since these weld to the bottom of the knuckle, you're actually going to end up cutting and shortening your tube so that it's only 50mm so these can slide over top

On a more serious note, since these require welding to the cast steel knuckle you average DIY'er won't be able to install these on their own (or at least I wouldn't recommend it) whereas you can get away with it for the GC kit because you're welding to a similar thickness. You'll need someone who really knows their welding to weld the sleeve to the knuckle. To be safe I'd probably preheat the knuckle so you don't get cracking when the weld solidifies.

Other than that it does look like a pretty good kit.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 09-14-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Woofer
6th Gear Member

BC are sweet. I have them in my car. I love how well the shock adjustability works. You can really notice the stiffness when you go from soft to medium to hard. I believe it's 32-way adjustable. Soft will give you a nice stock like feel. It will ride nice and smooth on city roads. Bump it up to medium and the car is ready to be thorn whatever you want at it lol. I haven't gone to full hard yet.

Bullet ride is right when he says that an average DIYer can't install these. I had mine installed by stance factory. They did a great job. I also purchased the BC coils off them. Contact stance factory for more info.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Yea it's not DIY friendly, but a person can still get them welded and installed themself. Welding in general isn't DIY friendly. I still think it's worth it though, unless you have the money for those full kits that come with the full strut assembly.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Woofer
6th Gear Member

Deff worth it!! I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up in price once they get a little more popular.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Yea it's not DIY friendly, but a person can still get them welded and installed themself. Welding in general isn't DIY friendly. I still think it's worth it though, unless you have the money for those full kits that come with the full strut assembly.
One kit I haven't heard much about (I think it's more commonly run in Europe) is the KW variant kits for the E30. You can pic up a Variant I kit for a little bit more than the GC kit bit it's a direct swap kit that requires no cutting or welding so that price actually includes the cost of a custom strut housing...which is pretty good deal if you think about it.

http://www.tunershop.com/Suspensions...x_p220846.html

Obviously if you have deep pockets I'd say go for the pimp AST 4200 coilovers.

http://www.elephantmotorsports.com/b...kit-p-555.html

Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
L1V3N 1T
2nd Gear Member

Man you guys don't mess around! Lol as for a budget I don't really know, I just want full adjustability hight, dampening, and rebound. I am a big veedubber and just don't know many BMW aftermarket suppliers. Thank you all for replying and I will spend a few nights checking out these suppliers.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
L1V3N 1T
2nd Gear Member

Oh and also I'm a licensed tech and have full access to the shop I work at. It's a beautiful thing lol helps a lot.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Chatham, eh? I'm down that way a lot. Should go for a cruise next time I'm down that way.
karmatose is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: