Update. So I drove the route this weekend to make sure the roads and open and in good shape. I made a few significant changes:
- the last 1/4 of the route is different than last year's. Several new twisty and scenic backroads have been found and implemented into the old basic route.
- there is a lunch stop, a coffee stop, and a dinner stop. We never drive more than 1.5 hours without a break to stretch our legs, regroup, and use the facilities.
- the lunch and coffee stops are 30 mins each and I will give a 5 minute warning before leaving each stop.
- dinner will take place at around 5:30pm. Your choice of either Boston Pizza or Regatta Steakhouse which sit next to each other right on the water in Gravenhurst.
- if you stay for dinner, expect to return to the GTA at approximately 9pm. If you skip dinner but do the full cruise route you will be in the GTA by 7:30pm. Distance from Dave & Busters to dinner stop = 245km; distance from dinner location back to D&B = 145km.
Overall I'm very happy with the road conditions as well as the new route additions. I hope that the new structured stop/break schedule will help alleviate some of the issues we've had as the cruise groups get larger and larger each year.
Originally Posted by Ted in T.O.
Don't forget to include Highway #13 after Orillia from HWY 11 north to Torrence and then on into Bala. Soft shoulders and lots of turns.
Southwood is one of the main reasons we run this route in that direction. But it is just 1 of about 6 great roads in the Muskoka Region we enjoy on this cruise.