Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
pecson_328i
1st Gear Newbie

BMW E90 Sedan Manual Transmission - Engine Stop While Driving

Hi everyone,

Just in case anyone experienced/experiences this similar scenario:

On a cold morning, I started my car and drove 2 blocks from my house (driving about 50 kms/h) and my engine completely shutoff while moving (just the engine lights went on). I started the car again, it started right away with no issues. Here I am thinking that I didn't let it warm up enough so I let the car warm up at a parking lot for about 10-15mins, drove out of the plaza and the engine shutoff while driving again...started it up and it ran fine...

2 days later, on a relatively warm day it happened again, twice in the same day! I have a certified series so I booked an appointment with my local BMW shop. (everyone online was saying it was just a software issue)

Long story short...the key didn't show any errors but when they did further investigations they found error 2A41 and 2A43. They ended up replacing the magnetic wheel, sensor and cylinder head. I paid the warranty deductible $50 but I'm told it would've cost $900-$1500 for the parts plus labour... so far so good but if you experience this and you're car still has warranty get it checked!

Last edited by pecson_328i; 12-20-2011 at 03:25 PM.
pecson_328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
325isdan
5th Gear Member

The only thing I can add is that you should not let your BMW "warm up". It is not called for and is not recommeded by BMW.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
The only thing I can add is that you should not let your BMW "warm up". It is not called for and is not recommeded by BMW.
soooo.... I guess you just hammer off at a cold temp?

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I do.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecson_328i View Post
Hi everyone,

Just in case anyone experienced/experiences this similar scenario:

On a cold morning, I started my car and drove 2 blocks from my house (driving about 50 kms/h) and my engine completely shutoff while moving (just the engine lights went on). I started the car again, it started right away with no issues. Here I am thinking that I didn't let it warm up enough so I let the car warm up at a parking lot for about 10-15mins, drove out of the plaza and the engine shutoff while driving again...started it up and it ran fine...

2 days later, on a relatively warm day it happened again, twice in the same day! I have a certified series so I booked an appointment with my local BMW shop. (everyone online was saying it was just a software issue)

Long story short...the key didn't show any errors but when they did further investigations they found error 2A41 and 2A43. They ended up replacing the magnetic wheel, sensor and cylinder head. I paid the warranty deductible $50 but I'm told it would've cost $900-$1500 for the parts plus labour... so far so good but if you experience this and you're car still has warranty get it checked!
Wheel, sensor, cylinder head?? What!?

An engine if in gear can't really turn off...well I mean it's still spinning. That's why you can turn a manual car on by push starting it when the starter is gone. I'm curious if you were in gear or clutched in when this happened..

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
He means don't let it sit and idle all the way up to operating temperature. It's better to drive it because it heats up the engine more uniformly.

I usually start my car, let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the oil to start moving then drive away but I keep the revs below 2500rpm until the temp gauge is out of the blue. Obviously when it's freezing out you have to let your car idle long enough for the window to clear up after you've brushed it off/scraped it before you drive away.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

I'm guessing it was a crank sensor issues ... if the DME does not get a good crank trigger, it will immediatly turn off ignition and fuel to protect the engine.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^that's a good guess. Plus i've had CPS issues that didn't throw a code (as opposed to fuel, or maf, which likely would)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
He means don't let it sit and idle all the way up to operating temperature. It's better to drive it because it heats up the engine more uniformly.

I usually start my car, let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the oil to start moving then drive away but I keep the revs below 2500rpm until the temp gauge is out of the blue. Obviously when it's freezing out you have to let your car idle long enough for the window to clear up after you've brushed it off/scraped it before you drive away.

I idle for a minute then same thing. Never turn off your car cold though, flooding of the block will pursue!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
pecson_328i
1st Gear Newbie

Very late but here's an update: The issue happened again and this time I voiced my safety concerns to BMW Canada. They ended updating the computer software and haven't experienced the issue again....
pecson_328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
matryx
1st Gear Newbie

I got this same issue with my 07 328i 6spd but the car never shut off while I was driving. Only when I was at a stopped did it shut off. I got this code a few months ago
2A43 "Valvetronic Thermal Overload Protection Warring Threshold"
I was told to get to a BMW dealership to get the computer software updated and just yesterday car shut off and the CEL stay light up the whole time. Got the code read at Ivo and got the 24A4 code and some other code. Ivo said I needed to replace the Eccentric Shaft sensor + seals and while in there might as well replace the valve cover gasket also. Approximately $1200 + taxes.

Started the car this morning though and the CEL is cleared now. Not sure what happened but I'm going to try and update the computer software at the dealer first and see what happens before replacing the Eccentric Shaft sensor
matryx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: