Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Quote:
find it kinda sketchy that this thread gets bump by a newbie, and his first post is in this thread that is also a year old.
Yeah but if it's spam it's spam whose message is "Do your homework before you come to our used-car dealership and waste our time with your bullshit" and that message is hidden in a long-form essay which nobody will bother reading to the end so how will they know they should go to http://spamalot.com to get a bigger dick while they work from home?

Anyway I stand by my original sentiment-- I wish more people would contribute follow ups to threads new or old-- especially those that end rather non-conclusively like this one did. Would be particularly helpful in some of the "How do I fix this issue?" type threads.

Last edited by nonlocal; 08-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #17
jeff2
Jeff2

UPDATE: Experience with Downsview Place Auto Group for BMW 328xi

Okay, before I write about the updated experience, 2 things:

1. Just wanted to let readers know I will be rambling again.
2. I can see why BMWs are loved and sought after with a fanatic following. I was blown away by the features and handling.

So, I called up the dealer and checked on the status today (Tuesday). Now to be fair, the Sales Consultant did say on Saturday that Mid-week it should be ready but for me it’s one of those “I’d like it earlier if I could please”. I first called about 10:30am and asked who I should make the Bank Draft out to and if there was anything from me he needed to close the deal. He said the car was being driven back to dealership with the new tires (price included balancing, installation). On Saturday when the discussion around tires came up, he asked us questions and provided some options and suggestions(which is what a good sales person is suppose to do). Since I said it’s my wife’s car, it's all wheel drive and I don’t want to change to snows every year, so what is a good All Season, he recommended Cooper CS4 All Weather, which is strange because I was planning on buying them for my Honda Odyssey when the tires came to end of life. I had checked out customer reviews on these tires around the web and the majority of the users said it’s a very good tire for all Weather – dry, wet, snow- search on Consumerreports.org customer review) This would give me a chance to try them out earlier that I expected. Another benefit is if the tires were not so good, I wouldn’t buy a set for the Odyssey (which cost almost double because they would be for a minivan). So I was pretty happy to hear that he could get them for me.

I got the bank draft in the morning, did a few things at work. A few meetings got cancelled and I had time after 1:30pm. So, I called again and he said they were working on the checklist of items I gave them. Yes, after Saturday, we went home and we typed up a simple checklist of items (aside from the tires nothing big, just little things) and sent it via email. We also listed the trade-in items we were providing – Quid pro quo. Here’s the silly part, I got their email address wrong… go figure. I found this out when I called Monday to check on the Status.

Anyways, he said he would need the ownership of my tradein and didn’t see any issues other than he was backlogged with a bunch of paperwork for other cars that were being prepped for other customers. No problem there, wife and I cleaned out the tradein (we will miss that Acura – has been very reliable and no accidents) Monday night in preparation and put together a little package. Planning and being prepared makes a world of difference in achieving goals.

So I arrived a bit after 2pm. Saw my future purchase which of course gives you that warm fuzzy feeling and went inside. I met with the sales person and we chatted, provided my ownership for the tradein, did a bit of paperwork then he had one of his employees run out to the local Vehicle Registration office along with other paperwork for cars sold that week. In the meantime, finished up a few items on the list, they switched license plates, washed the car, more paperwork, answering calls etc…

During this time we had a chance to chat and I told him that upon doing my research it seemed his dealership was getting a pretty bad rap in Forums. He explained he knows this but it’s not really Downsview Place Auto Group(www.dpautogroup.com/) that the majority of the bloggers were blogging about Mazdas, it’s actually Downsview Auto(www.downsviewauto.ca/ ) that deals in Mazda products and are located at Sheppard and Allen Rd. I just about fell off my chair. It all made sense at that point, after my very first visit to their place of business, I didn’t understand why people were slagging them so badly. I didn't see any Mazdas in the place. I mean you will always get a few unsatisfied customers who will hop on forums and paste the same story over and over and over again. It’s a shame that so many others who hopped on the bandwagon with negative comments who had never been there before may have caused some potential people who gather info on the web to miss out on some sweet deals at this place.

Anyways, with the paperwork completed, I got my wife’s new ride by 3:30pm, thanked and shook hands with him and home I went. I was having so much fun taking the long way home, I didn’t realize I was running out of gas. Thank the car Gods I checked the GPS for the nearest Gas station and whipped in. I noticed there is no gas lock on this BMW and gas goes in on the right hand side 

So, I can say today that I am very pleased dealing with Downsview Place Auto Group, they exceeded my expectations thus far and I plan to do service there as well in the future. But I have to say I’m even more pleased with the car.

The best sales transaction is when both parties part feeling good about what was sold and what was bought.

My wife took the kids to an appointment in the new ride and brought it home around 7pm. From 7:30pm to 11pm I’ve been trying to figure out how everything works. I’m sure there is a lot to learn still. Figure I’d write this up and ramble a bit before bed.
jeff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2 View Post
UPDATE: Experience with Downsview Place Auto Group for BMW 328xi

Okay, before I write about the updated experience, 2 things:

1. Just wanted to let readers know I will be rambling again.
2. I can see why BMWs are loved and sought after with a fanatic following. I was blown away by the features and handling.

So, I called up the dealer and checked on the status today (Tuesday). Now to be fair, the Sales Consultant did say on Saturday that Mid-week it should be ready but for me itís one of those ďIíd like it earlier if I could pleaseĒ. I first called about 10:30am and asked who I should make the Bank Draft out to and if there was anything from me he needed to close the deal. He said the car was being driven back to dealership with the new tires (price included balancing, installation). On Saturday when the discussion around tires came up, he asked us questions and provided some options and suggestions(which is what a good sales person is suppose to do). Since I said itís my wifeís car, it's all wheel drive and I donít want to change to snows every year, so what is a good All Season, he recommended Cooper CS4 All Weather, which is strange because I was planning on buying them for my Honda Odyssey when the tires came to end of life. I had checked out customer reviews on these tires around the web and the majority of the users said itís a very good tire for all Weather Ė dry, wet, snow- search on Consumerreports.org customer review) This would give me a chance to try them out earlier that I expected. Another benefit is if the tires were not so good, I wouldnít buy a set for the Odyssey (which cost almost double because they would be for a minivan). So I was pretty happy to hear that he could get them for me.

I got the bank draft in the morning, did a few things at work. A few meetings got cancelled and I had time after 1:30pm. So, I called again and he said they were working on the checklist of items I gave them. Yes, after Saturday, we went home and we typed up a simple checklist of items (aside from the tires nothing big, just little things) and sent it via email. We also listed the trade-in items we were providing Ė Quid pro quo. Hereís the silly part, I got their email address wrongÖ go figure. I found this out when I called Monday to check on the Status.

Anyways, he said he would need the ownership of my tradein and didnít see any issues other than he was backlogged with a bunch of paperwork for other cars that were being prepped for other customers. No problem there, wife and I cleaned out the tradein (we will miss that Acura Ė has been very reliable and no accidents) Monday night in preparation and put together a little package. Planning and being prepared makes a world of difference in achieving goals.

So I arrived a bit after 2pm. Saw my future purchase which of course gives you that warm fuzzy feeling and went inside. I met with the sales person and we chatted, provided my ownership for the tradein, did a bit of paperwork then he had one of his employees run out to the local Vehicle Registration office along with other paperwork for cars sold that week. In the meantime, finished up a few items on the list, they switched license plates, washed the car, more paperwork, answering calls etcÖ

During this time we had a chance to chat and I told him that upon doing my research it seemed his dealership was getting a pretty bad rap in Forums. He explained he knows this but itís not really Downsview Place Auto Group(www.dpautogroup.com/) that the majority of the bloggers were blogging about Mazdas, itís actually Downsview Auto(www.downsviewauto.ca/ ) that deals in Mazda products and are located at Sheppard and Allen Rd. I just about fell off my chair. It all made sense at that point, after my very first visit to their place of business, I didnít understand why people were slagging them so badly. I didn't see any Mazdas in the place. I mean you will always get a few unsatisfied customers who will hop on forums and paste the same story over and over and over again. Itís a shame that so many others who hopped on the bandwagon with negative comments who had never been there before may have caused some potential people who gather info on the web to miss out on some sweet deals at this place.

Anyways, with the paperwork completed, I got my wifeís new ride by 3:30pm, thanked and shook hands with him and home I went. I was having so much fun taking the long way home, I didnít realize I was running out of gas. Thank the car Gods I checked the GPS for the nearest Gas station and whipped in. I noticed there is no gas lock on this BMW and gas goes in on the right hand side 

So, I can say today that I am very pleased dealing with Downsview Place Auto Group, they exceeded my expectations thus far and I plan to do service there as well in the future. But I have to say Iím even more pleased with the car.

The best sales transaction is when both parties part feeling good about what was sold and what was bought.

My wife took the kids to an appointment in the new ride and brought it home around 7pm. From 7:30pm to 11pm Iíve been trying to figure out how everything works. Iím sure there is a lot to learn still. Figure Iíd write this up and ramble a bit before bed.

its very nice that you are helping out the community with very informative posts, and your excitement has probably caused you to be so detailed. thank you.

BUT FFS THATS SUCH A LONG POST FOR A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING!!

there could have been something very interesting in that wall of text, but my eyes hurt after the 15 minute mark.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
jeff2
Jeff2

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I don't believe anyone forced you to read it. But Guess I was wrong to assume that the average person would understand the point "1. Just wanted to let readers know I will be rambling again. " and then decide not to continue reading. I would think the average person with a bit of intelligence would just chuckle and move on.

I won't be changing my style any time soon so my only suggestion is for you to avoid reading any of my post.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

http://www.blogger.com

no one cares
Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Nice bathroom reading material. The laptop kept my thighs warm while sitting down

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Mdrie
2nd Gear Member

Since you almost ran out of gas on your way home, is it correct to assume it didn't come with a full tank of gas? Don't they come with a full tank of gas or is that something that gets negogiated?
Mdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Nice bathroom reading material. The laptop kept my thighs warm while sitting down
Hey at least 1 person got value out of it.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #24
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrie View Post
Since you almost ran out of gas on your way home, is it correct to assume it didn't come with a full tank of gas? Don't they come with a full tank of gas or is that something that gets negogiated?
Ya got me there ! something I should have asked. My last car I bought came with 1/4 tank as well.... thought it was the norm.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
SiR, I really don't think your a "no one", I'm sure you have something to offer in life. BTW, what kind of BMW do you have currently ?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #26
NIMA
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on your purchase !! I was there a few months ago to check out a 335i coupe . The sales guy was semi-honest and told me that the car was in a "minor" accident ..... " minor " ended up being a $8000 front collision , but then again a front headlight assembly is usually $1800-2500 for BMWs these days !!
You do get what you pay for !!! If you are happy with an accident repaired car and don't want to pay top dollar then I would actually recommend this dealer .
NIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #27
marek
5th Gear Member

A coworker parked his E39 540 with M-package too close to a high curb while pulling into a spot in the winter. He cracked the front bumper, the two splash shields and the lower bumper grille as well as braking the fog light mounts.
Resulting bill to repair it? $3500!!!! This was something that would not have caused any damage in summer time.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMA View Post
Congrats on your purchase !! I was there a few months ago to check out a 335i coupe . The sales guy was semi-honest and told me that the car was in a "minor" accident ..... " minor " ended up being a $8000 front collision , but then again a front headlight assembly is usually $1800-2500 for BMWs these days !!
You do get what you pay for !!! If you are happy with an accident repaired car and don't want to pay top dollar then I would actually recommend this dealer .
Thanks ! I checked another dealer close to them and was looking at a 2007 328xi. Body and trim was in great shape cosmetically but with slightly lower mileage(or so it seemed). When I looked at the carproof report it indicated 3500 worth of accident repair. Rear bumper impact, so likely needed a new bumper. Because it went thru insurance I would think the shops jack the prices up hence the high repair cost. Not sure what it would have cost if he went private (if he could). The reason I didn't buy that car is because 1. Carfax also indicated that the odometer may have been messed with. 2. ownership/registration had changed half a dozen times after the accident and registered in different cities, which leads me to believe it had other issues. Just seemed fishy to me. So I didn't pursue.

The one I bought from DPAG had minor scratches and I could tell a bit of the bumper had been repainted but it was very acceptable to me. Check out the attached photos.

Body condition and looks is one thing but reliability is more important to me as it is my wife who will drive it every day.

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front sunup.JPG (269.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg back.JPG (269.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Drive side.JPG (431.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg pass side.jpg (107.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Front at sundown.JPG (232.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
demontwinz
1st Gear Newbie

thank you Jeff

Your post was one of the reason i went there. I have decided to avoid this place.

I test drove 2 335i this week and put a deposit on one of them. It is going to parkview BMW on Monday. I hope everything goes well. So far there is no pressure to buy. They are honest about carproof and accidents.

I am in the process of buying the 335i with no accident at all. THe other 335 had a non -accident claim of $1900.

I will give another update soon.

JEFF did you buy lubrico warranty from them? How is your car now after having it for 1 week? any concerns? redflags?

* am no not affiliated with Downsview place auto group. THis is my BMW, so I am new to this e92 thing. : ) i am excited to finally drive a driver's car
demontwinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #30
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by demontwinz View Post
Your post was one of the reason i went there. I have decided to avoid this place.

I test drove 2 335i this week and put a deposit on one of them. It is going to parkview BMW on Monday. I hope everything goes well. So far there is no pressure to buy. They are honest about carproof and accidents.

I am in the process of buying the 335i with no accident at all. THe other 335 had a non -accident claim of $1900.

I will give another update soon.

JEFF did you buy lubrico warranty from them? How is your car now after having it for 1 week? any concerns? redflags?

* am no not affiliated with Downsview place auto group. THis is my BMW, so I am new to this e92 thing. : ) i am excited to finally drive a driver's car
Hi demontwinz, glad you found the info valuable. I think you meant to say "I have decided NOT to avoid this place" based on your entire note about taking the car to Parkview for an inspection. Non-accident claim ? , sounds like someone broke into it IE. smashed window, or dropped something on the hood or something like that.

I didn't buy a Lubrico warranty from them for a few reasons. First, I try to save approx 200 per month into a car fund. These funds will go toward a new car or any major car repair expense whichever comes first. Second, I factor in the age and mileage of the vehicle. My BMW is a 2009 and had 80k kms, so that tells me the previous owner unloaded it once it ran over the warranty period. There is always risk something major will go but that's a decision you have to make for yourself. If it were a pre-2009 vehicle or had 100k kms, I would have likely bought at least a basic engine/powertrain warranty as those are probably the most expensive repair costs for any vehicle if something goes wrong.

Now keep in mind, I rushed my delivery kinda and they were gracious enough to accommodate me because I wanted the car for the long weekend. I went back the day after I got the car because I forgot a CD in my tradein and at the same time they changed the air filter because my wife had complained it smelled when the blower was on. Service was instant. Last week my wife said the AC took 15 mins to get cold, so I called the Sales manager up and he said pop by any time. So I took it back Friday and the guys put some Refrigerant in right away and now it gets cold within 2 minutes.

After driving the car for a week now I have to say I am really enjoying the car and have no regrets about not buying a Mercedes C300 4matic. Reality is both are quality luxury cars. Mercedes caters to more driver conveniences, has a smoother transmissions and BMW caters more to the driving experience and performance transmissions. The transmissions in these BMWs make the car so much fun to drive. For now what I've found after a week is the following:

1. Engine is sound, whether I'm driving or just revving the engine to 4000+ RPM, I don't hear vibrations, pinging or knocking. It's smooth.

2. Body is tight, On a normal paved road or the highway, I don't hear any creaks or moans. When I drive over a construction zone, I hear a bit of creak but my minivan does that too and just about any car I've ever owned new or used did that.

3. Handling is tight. I have a quite few roundabouts in my area. During non rush hour, I'll drive at them quite fast in M2 gear and car handles them like a champ. If I tried that in minvan or my old Acura EL (tradein), I would roll it for sure. Now keep in mind I'm going sharp right, sharp left, sharp right and at no time do I fee out of control.

4. Alignment is tight. Sales Manager was right about the new tires he recommended. I found it tracks true on a pretty flat surface on the highway for about .5 km before it starts to drift. Also during the last rain storm, I nailed the accelerator and got excellent traction, both at starting and stopping. I really hope the tires do well in the winter. I'll comment once I experience it (Are you experienced ? - Jimi Hendrix).

5. The Brakes freak me out because they are so sensitive compared to my Honda Odyssey. After converting back to driving my minivan, I have mini anxiety attacks because I keep forgetting I'm driving the minivan and need to press alot harder to stop before I nail the car in front of me.

6. Transmission. Seems pretty solid to me, no slippage, funny noises, etc. whether I'm in D, DS or manual.

7. Ride. Given it's a low profile performance vehicle, the ride is excellent, springs/shocks do their job well. However the ride is not even close to the comfort I get from my minivan

When I got my minivan, the salesman at Honda, who was a former BMW salesman said that BMWs drive like new even after 120K km if they aren't abused. That's another reason I wanted a BMW. From what I've experienced, that is very true so far. I test drove a 2012 demo at Town and Country (close to my work) and can compare the experience.

Another thing I forgot to mention is when I originally picked up the car it was washed and had been waxed for me - they never mentioned they were going to do that. I realized this because after I took it home, I washed it and noticed the water beading off the car from a fresh application of wax. Regardless I put a coat of NuFinish wax on anyways... can't hurt me thinks. I have bought new and used and always get a car wash and wipedown- no waxing.

Only thing I bitch about is the gas mileage sucks and it takes premium fuel. But I knew BMWs and Mercedes both have the same issue of $hitty gas mileage and premium fuel. I'm wonder if the next level of premium fuel will actually boost the performance.

Here's the concern/redflag.... be careful driving it (Especially since you will have alot more HP/Torque than my 328xi)... I can see myself getting a ticket quite easily because I can't tell the "speed feeling" yet when I'm over 70kph. Dangerous on the highway because the ride is smooth, the engine does not strain, cabin is quite. The Speedometer is inaccurate (quite common as I read in the BMW blogs) by about 2-5%. I address this by just checking the Speed on my GPS which is pretty accurate. That and the fact the Dash Speedometer is so hard to see the little numbers.

Good luck on the 335i, let us know how the inspection went and hope this reply helps you out.

You can be sure that I'll share any unbiased factual negative or positive experiences as my ownership progresses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: