Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > BMW Cars For Sale
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Jmar213
1st Gear Newbie

I know your only trying to help, and I thank you for taking the time to help educate us all on what to expect during the process. Thanks again!
Jmar213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
Jmar213
1st Gear Newbie

Bump for a great car, at a great price!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

nothing wrong with salvage (depending) but zc911 is spot on.

you cant just buy this and flash some papers at the border and be on your way. theres much more involved.

though very good deal for someone willing to go pick it up
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
Jmar213
1st Gear Newbie

I would imagine that applies to any vehicle being brought into a foreign country for the fist time, not just a salvage one.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #20
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar213 View Post
Again, WHAT EVER IS NEEDED I CAN PROVIDE,NO WORRIES.
In Ontario, in order to go from Salvage to Rebuild you need the original insurance estimate, pictures from all sides of vehicle (at damaged state), bills of all the parts used to fix it, with VIN#'s of all used parts (if any), name and location of shop doing the work, and a "structural safety" certificate (inspection) when the car is fixed.

All of this may not apply to a car already fixed, but if title shows as Salvage, they might still ask for it!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #21
Jmar213
1st Gear Newbie

I have been in the salvage business for over 19 years and have never heard of a "structural safety certificate" this is not used here in the states, can someone please elaborate on this document? Also, my car had ZERO frame damage, and no deployed airbags. Even the cooling system is original and was unharmed, so will this mysterious document still be required??? Thank you in advance....
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^yes, you will still need a structural safety certificate. AFAIK this costs about 300$.
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Jmar213
1st Gear Newbie

Did a quick google search and found nothing other then one or two other forums simply mentioning this process/ form. No information on what exactly the process is, who performs it, and where to have it done. Regardless, this is something that will need to be once imported, not here in the states, as there is no such requirement here, nor any place to have such an act performed. I read on a Porche forum (1 of the ones I found mentioning this document) that this certificate cost him $50 in 1-2012, and was done by some shop in BC. All he needed was the wheel alignment spec sheet/print out??? I don't know, again this document is all foreigners to me. But let's move forward as this is a small minor detail that the buyer and myself can discuss when need be......... Thanks guys.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #24
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

It has nothing to do with the damage on the car, it could be as simple as a broken window or a scratch...In ONTARIO, to go from Salvage to a Rebuild title you need this "inspection". They are very strict about it, and if you dont have all the paperwork, including estimates, pictures, bills, etc...they might not license it...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
zc911
2nd Gear Member

^ %100 true fixed or not
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
cisco911
6th Gear Member

What people are saying about value of the car is true. The car looks like it is in great shape and worth every penny. However, you also have to look at it from a purely financial point of view. A car that has a rebuilt title will always be worth less than a car that doesn't have a rebuilt title assuming same condition. Unless a seller can prove that the damage was minor, a potential buyer will be worried as to what the actual damage was. It could be minor or it could have taken a completely new front clip...or maybe it was water damaged (which is almost impossible to detect). These are all the things that a buyer will have on his mind and will lower the price of the car due to the potential for costly repairs down the line and because when they have to resell th vehicle later on, they will also have to sell to people that will have the same mindset. I'm not saying this is the case for your car, but that is the logic from a buyer's point of view.

Also, why would an insurance company write off a car than needs so little work? Bumper, fender, and hood plus paint might come to like $2-3K. That is minimal compared to the actual value of the vehicle.

Last edited by cisco911; 08-23-2012 at 10:01 AM.
cisco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
ha9981
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
What people are saying about value of the car is true. The car looks like it is in great shape and worth every penny. However, you also have to look at it from a purely financial point of view. A car that has a rebuilt title will always be worth less than a car that doesn't have a rebuilt title assuming same condition. Unless a seller can prove that the damage was minor, a potential buyer will be worried as to what the actual damage was. It could be minor or it could have taken a completely new front clip...or maybe it was water damaged (which is almost impossible to detect). These are all the things that a buyer will have on his mind and will lower the price of the car due to the potential for costly repairs down the line and because when they have to resell th vehicle later on, they will also have to sell to people that will have the same mindset. I'm not saying this is the case for your car, but that is the logic from a buyer's point of view.

Also, why would an insurance company write off a car than needs so little work? Bumper, fender, and hood plus paint might come to like $2-3K. That is minimal compared to the actual value of the vehicle.
It is never only 2-3k in the eyes of insurance companies. Moreover, this could have happened when the car was work 60k. No shop would have even touched it for insurance covered repairs for less than 10k.
ha9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
It is never only 2-3k in the eyes of insurance companies. Moreover, this could have happened when the car was work 60k. No shop would have even touched it for insurance covered repairs for less than 10k.
What makes you say that no shop would have touched it for less than $10k? If they quote to fix it is less, why would the shop not do the work?

I don't see an insurance company paying a customer $60k for the car when they can fix it for less than 10K, especially if the airbags didn't deploy and there is no frame damage. Isn't the rule of thumb 25% of the value of the vehicle or if there is frame damage or airbag deployment?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #29
ha9981
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
What makes you say that no shop would have touched it for less than $10k? If they quote to fix it is less, why would the shop not do the work?

I don't see an insurance company paying a customer $60k for the car when they can fix it for less than 10K, especially if the airbags didn't deploy and there is no frame damage. Isn't the rule of thumb 25% of the value of the vehicle or if there is frame damage or airbag deployment?
Simply because they are crooks when it comes to taking money from insurance companies. Try getting any BMW world even the e46 and have a look at the markups. Also consider they will replace a headlight if the lense is scratched or bulb is gone. Also consider this is an M3
ha9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #30
Jmar213
1st Gear Newbie

Guess no one can explain the process/ details of this certificate everyone's talking about. My "for sale" posting seems to have taken a turn towards repair shop policies rather then the task at hand...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: