Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #991
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Right on man, not trying to tell you what to do, just sometimes impulse decisions benefit from a brake-check but sounds like you've thought this through so **** me, look forward to the next build thread!
Ya I still might end up racing the car next spring which would be great, I'll only sell the car with the right offer over the winter. I'm prepared to sit on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Good luck with the next build Kurt.
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but keep in mind the 10year CTCC rule.

So if you're building a car, make sure it's one you can run for a while - but I guess the e90s were produced until what... 2011? By the time you're ready for CTCC, it'll be 2015ish so yeah, you'll get a good 6years out of that car before you need to get a new shell.

Anyways, can't wait to see the next build. Should be a blast
Yeah E90 is pretty much the only way to go. E46 would be cutting it too close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
well that sucks. boourns to that rule..but I guess it keeps the "riff raff" out so to speak.
Yeah its true. Would be nice if they made exceptions for cars that are still respectable looking though.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #992
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Some of these comments are fackin' hilarious.

But that ^^ takes the cake. Are you seriously that irritated he doesn't spend a dime on Trillium anymore that you feel the need to make that comment? Common John, just because you haven't ridden in the car to drop your 2 cents about how he should drive, or how he should setup his car, or how he spends his money doesn't mean he's retarded and needs to be placed in the C group of Trillium schools. Your elitist Trillium attitude isn't helping attract membership when you talk down to everyone like that.
I have to agree.

At the moment, the only events I'm interested in attending are the lapping days, but that is out of the question because of the "A" student rule. And I refuse to attend a school just to prove I'm an "advanced driver". I guess I feel like I have to buy my way in, which isn't going to happen. Too bad, because I'd be happy to pay the money for the lapping days! I might sound like a douche, but I know I'm past the school level and now only seat time is going improve my driving.

But I don't for a second regret the two schools I attended. I've said it many times. I had been attending track days for two years until I did a school and boy did I ever learn a lot. I'd be slightly hopeless without them

Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #993
DItalianJob
M//ini POWER

Send a message via Skype™ to DItalianJob
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I'd be happy to pay the money for the lapping days!... ...I know I'm past the school level and now only seat time is going improve my driving.

But I don't for a second regret the two schools I attended. I've said it many times. I had been attending track days for two years until I did a school and boy did I ever learn a lot.
I think i understand now what John may have been hinting at after you said...
"I've pumped tens of thousands of dollars into driving.... and he said "Mostly at the wrong events though, if you don't mind me saying."

By wrong events he was politely suggesting to put your money into schools not just lapping days. Learning a lot in two schools is not enough. Seat time is good but acknowledging that there is ALWAYS so much more to be learned is key to become a much improved driver. If you don't like the BMW driving schools that is fine... but I wouldn't discount the knowledge to be learned at these "school" enviroments.

Im sure if you wanted to go only lapping it could be aranged with a simple test drive in the morning.
DItalianJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #994
doogee
Stance is Gay.

^^ I have to disagree. There comes a point where you have to drive on your own and discover the true limits. You can't pick this up with an instructor in the car unless the instructor is insane. I know I wouldn't want a student getting too close or over the limit. It's too dangerous for the instructor.

Perhaps this is just the way I learn. I truly don't understand people who say things like "oh I like to hear what different instuctors say and different lines etc". I think if you want to be fast, you need to experiment and find out for yourself. Otherwise youre just going to be a programmed robot. Obviously it's important to already have a very good understanding of what's going on in the car and on track first.

I guess I'm different! Not everybody needs to take 10 driving schools to become a good driver. Thats just the way it is.

Last edited by doogee; 08-14-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #995
BigD
the misanthropist

I'm the same way. At the last school I did, I was griping about my mistakes before the instructor could say anything. So he ended up being quiet the whole time, or saying "yup". So me not wanting to do schools isn't me saying that I'm ready for Formula 1. Just that, like you said, I know all the theory, I know what I should do, now it's a question of enough reps until my body learns what my mind knows.

So saying that everyone can learn from a school is a silly blanket statement, and suggesting anything else is a poor investment is pretty rude. The same is true for the instructors - I'm sure if one instructor went for a ride with another, he'd have some suggestions for him, or for Michael Schumacher.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #996
cormier
6th Gear Member

Either way, I don't think anyone is doubting your driving ability so all this is really just arguing about the past :p

Can't wait to see the next build dude

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #997
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Awesome can't wait to see the next build. I agree with what Rudy said, I've voiced my opinion on that very subject in the past, but SIR is right, they have toned it down a lot.

Did you already complete the race school and get your license?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #998
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Race school vs HPDE ... very different things with different goals. At a proper race shcool, they will teach you race craft, and will push you much harder. Also, the SoloSprint school (aka, Ontario Time Attack) is a much more balls to the walls school experience as the entire point of SoloSprint is you vs the clock.

Listen to people who are faster than you ... let them drive your car to show you what's possible. You WILL get faster from that, trust me.

But in the end, the only thing that will make you faster is bigger balls and ignoring your life preservation insticts

Last edited by ScotcH; 08-14-2012 at 11:05 AM.
ScotcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #999
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Listen to people who are faster than you ... let them drive your car to show you what's possible. You WILL get faster from that, trust me.
This, I will agree with 100%

Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #1000
cormier
6th Gear Member

Oo big balls and no desire to live sounds fun :p

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #1001
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

I guess I'm different! Not everybody needs to take 10 driving schools to become a good driver. Thats just the way it is.
Id go as far to say that if anyone needs 10 schools to get the basics down they dont have a hope of ever being fast.* (obviously there are exceptions)

but the only way to find your limits and speed is by pushing yourself. Not reading a book or listening to frodo baggins the local track leprechaun. Does not mean those tools are not useful, because they obviously are ...but they are not the only way to becoming really good most of the time.

Keep doing what works for you !
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #1002
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
but the only way to find your limits and speed is by pushing yourself. Not reading a book or listening to frodo baggins the local track leprechaun. Does not mean those tools are not useful, because they obviously are ...but they are not the only way to becoming really good most of the time.
The only way to becoming really good all of the time is to have Racer as an instructor. Some say he was The Stig's instructor....
Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1003
cormier
6th Gear Member

You forget, Racer doesn't believe in instruction :p

Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1004
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:

But in the end, the only thing that will make you faster is bigger balls and ignoring your life preservation insticts
Hahhaha sounds about right!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #1005
Nolimit77
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Race school vs HPDE ... very different things with different goals. At a proper race shcool, they will teach you race craft, and will push you much harder. Also, the SoloSprint school (aka, Ontario Time Attack) is a much more balls to the walls school experience as the entire point of SoloSprint is you vs the clock.

I could not possibly agree more. I compete in the OTA(Ontario time-attack) series and in my first season of doing so, I have improved quite a bit. In fact, a couple weeks ago was my very first time at Mosport, OTA event #6, and I had Scott Murffin(Can-alignment) as my instructor - he is one of the top Mosport hot shoes! Seeing as how we were good friends, I shared my car with him for the day, actually it was the second event in a row that we did this. What I enjoyed most about the experience was that I knew I would get to see exactly what my CAR was capable of when in the right hands and it is a rare chance most do not get. So as you could imagine, I was excited to see how I would stack up. When the dust settled, I was 7/10ths off his time(140.5 to a 1:41.2) and we finished 1-2 in class. Being a competitor, I wasn't happy with that but when I later thought about it some more, I realized how valuable the experience had really been. I know I could have made it ALLOT closer had I not made a mistake on each one of my last 3 timed laps BUT thats something I will be able to correct with more seat time. Thankfully, events #7 and 8 are again at Mosport!

Good luck with your E90 build Doogee!
Nolimit77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: