Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > BMW Cars For Sale
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
ay3
1st Gear Newbie

WTB: E30 (sedan/coupe) a must: sunroof and manual (open to e36 as well)

hello, i need your help in choosing a fun and somewhat reliable older BMW. Many years ago my family had an 89' E30 325i and I enjoyed driving it. Many years later and much older i am, now looking to reduce my TTC usage for work and begin driving to ease the commute stress that i face, but at this time, I would rather not settle for the typical civic, corolla and/or tercel which are great. I am very specific to what I'd prefer having, a much older BMW (preference to coupes but open to sedans) with manual transmission and a sunroof.

Engine wise, I am not too keen on speed, horsepower, nor on color, any will do. I enjoy the day-to-day city driving so having a solid working car is key. 4cyl vs. 6 cyl doesn't matter to me unless there's a reliability benefit. I'm posting here to make sure that I reduce the high risks involved in buying a generally more expensive car to maintain, drive and repair.

With this budget, I'm hoping that I would be able to potentially score a well maintained E30 with minimal or semi-major repairs.

car Budget: $1500
1st set of repairs budget: $1000

my car budget above includes e-testing and certification
Is it realistic the budget that i set? If not, what would you recommend?
ay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

honestly...no it isn't. First off finding one is certified cond for that price won't be happening. after 20+ years every e30 needs some TLC. 1500.00 will get you a so so car that will need some fixing up. maybe brakes, exhaust, control arms. a/c in most cases won't be working - not that it matters. you will in most cases find rust repair required. if it's 5sp make sure the shift linkage isn't worn or the clutch isn't worn.
your repair budget would cover a the clutch repair.

I'd say realistically 3000-4000 for a decent well maintained car. coupe that is. some can easily go for more 5-7k range and still higher with mods. Sedans are cheaper unless it is a 325IX all wheel drive.

you won't be "scoring" anything for that price that requires little to no maintenance. look on Kiijiji.

Last thing, most of them are either butchered now days or semi pimped out. I saw an 87-325 IS auto for 2500.00 just today. 5sp more $$.

GLW search.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
ay3
1st Gear Newbie

I really appreciate your response, thank you. I think I might just hold off and save a bit more. I would much rather an 89+ or much preferably a manual E36 coupe with a sunroof. I'm guessing I'd realistically need around $10 000
Old 07-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay3 View Post
I really appreciate your response, thank you. I think I might just hold off and save a bit more. I would much rather an 89+ or much preferably a manual E36 coupe with a sunroof. I'm guessing I'd realistically need around $10 000
if you're looking at an e36 coupe; don't get an early model preferably. anything after 94 up. take a look at the early e36's they are selling for less then e30's. why ? because the first gen e36 had poor quality control and they are disposable. they were not made with the same standard or integrity as the e30's. that is why you still see them on the road driving. Nothing stands up to the e30 today..not even a new bmw as far as reliability and quality, workmanship. some might argue this but I know people who work for bmw and they've been there a VERY long time.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
tigster
2nd Gear Member

If you can come up with $3000, I have a very nice 95 325i 5 speed sedan, leather sunroof, loaded. It is currently my daily driver and is a turn key and go. needs nothing, many new parts.

You can see the car in this thread, price does not include the wheels pictured.

If you want more details, you can contact me

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152124
Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
ay3
1st Gear Newbie

thanks a lot Ceeker for your feedback! I'm planning to go see tigster's e36.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: