Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

E39 front bumper lip/splitter

There is this relatively inexpensive front bumper (non-M bumper) lip (or spliter, I don't know what is called exactly) that I really like and thinking of buying for my E39. You can see it here: http://www.unionperformance.com/prod...59466_zoom.jpg

I have two questions in regard to this product:

Does it sit lower than the existing bumper or on the same level? I don't think I will buy it if it sits lower because then it will not be on the same level with the remaining skirt of the car (stock) and back bumper (stock) which I don't plan to replace or add on them. Also, the front bumper of the E39 is already low as it is.

Will it increase wind noise? I like the quietness of the E39 so I don't want to make it noisy.

Thanks.

(You can find this product on eBay by searching "E39 lip 01".)
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Yes to the first question, and yes again when it falls off and flaps in the wind

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
Yes to the first question, and yes again when it falls off and flaps in the wind
HAHA... Yes and Maybe? Depends on how it is secured...
Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
Ok, so you don't know if it will increase wind noise.

Anybody who has installed this lip and KNOWS if it will increase wind noise or not?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Ok, so you don't know if it will increase wind noise.

Anybody who has installed this lip and KNOWS if it will increase wind noise or not?

Thanks.
If you're worried about wind noise don't do it... Not to sound like an ass... but you sound like you want to baby your car and make sure everything is perfect... so if you're worried about the wind noise which is next to negligible anyways.. Don't put it on...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chin View Post
If you're worried about wind noise don't do it... Not to sound like an ass... but you sound like you want to baby your car and make sure everything is perfect... so if you're worried about the wind noise which is next to negligible anyways.. Don't put it on...
The thing is I like how quiet the E39 is (most of the time I drive with the windows closed and the AC on). I also take my family on long road trips and the last thing I want is extra wind noise while driving for hours on highway speed. But if it doesn't add wind noise then I will install it because I like the looks of it, and I like to photograph my car often (just for fun).

So if anyone has installed this and has experience with it, I would like to know for sure if it adds wind noise or not.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

Hey i actually got the lip of ebay this weekend and put it on
it was 155$ shipped and i do not regret it at all
you do not have absolutely any difference in the wind noise, it will not flap in the wind and its really easy to install
i thought it would be lower than the stock bumper but nope.
it is the exact same to the naked eye, i looked at it very closely and it only comes down 1/2 to 1 inch not nearly enough to scrape it on any curve that i met soo far

and i love the look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4161.jpg (535.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4160.jpg (544.9 KB, 90 views)
wolf_e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the reply. I actually ordered one last night from eBay.

Now, I have to solve the exhaust tip problem!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

what do you want to do with the exhaust tip ? you want a cut out?
that is easy to do i have done that too
you just have to cut the tip of your existing exhaust and put a tip on it
by the way when you get the tip make sure its larger than 2 1/2'' diameter otherwise it will not fit on the muffler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4130.jpg (530.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much for the replies! You don't know how helpful your feedback is! Yes, I want to add a twin exhaust tip as:

1) Through the bumper. The problem is that I need to cutout the bumper. I am not sure if the cutout will be only from the skirt of the bumper or it will take away from the bumper too. (Are they two separate parts, or they just look like they are?)

2) Below the bumper. The problem is that I can't find a bent joint (something like 90 degree) to connect the exhaust pipe which is facing downward to the exhaust tip that will be facing backward. I am also concerned that it will hit the curb when parking, etc.

I am not looking for a new muffler or anything like that. I am not looking to increase the performance of the car or make its sound sportier. (I am actually very picky about the quietness of my car.) I am doing it mainly for looks. If I can get a muffler that will increase the HP and make it a bit more sporty (not noisy) for a decent price than I will go for it. But I am definitely not spending something like $300 on this modification.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

1. the bumper is one peace and you will only cut the lower lip of it
the plastic is really good quality so cutting trough it is not that hard and the paint will not chip either.
2. You will not find a bent joint anywhere unless you get it custom made, and like you said that will lower it and honestly make it look bad.
the way to do it is you go to a muffler shop and have them cut the tip off. basically they will just cut the bend out of it and leave only the straight part (they did it for free for me and it only took 5min )
the only thing is that our muffler has a 2 1/2'' diameter and you will need the the overlapping pipe to be greater than that.
For this reason i kinda had to Frankenstein mine because my tip had the exact same dimension

hope it all goes well
Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, man. I am going to call my mechanic today to see if he can do the cut of the exhaust pipe and the bumper cutout. I am pretty sure he can. But I have to find an exhaust tip that is larger than 2.5". Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Do you know any shops that sell a twin exhaust tip with I.D. Inlet >=2.5"?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

i know there is a place at Yonge and steeles
its on yoned a bit south of steeles it is a mainly rim and wheels shop but he has any customizing part you want
he is the only place that i know to have them
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot. Yes, I've seen that shop! I will check it out this week. I hope their prices are reasonable.

Few years ago I bumped into a man in front of that shop because both of us were checking out this amazingly customized E39 they had! Haha!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: