Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
Thank you to both MaxBell and davericher,
Message received.
Save new E30 vert for summer only driving.
Copy that!

Bring grills, bumpers and kidneys.
Roger!

Dave?
Do most E30's there have LSD?
That's a very rare option here.
And your car.....ix? That's the 4wd version isn't it? Unheard here. Never sold here, never heard of anyone bringing one into the country.
I SO want to see one.
And, yeah, I know EXACTLY where Bradford is. Used to date a girl from there. She worked at the Cookstown branch of the same chain I worked for in Barrie.
That big highway stop on the 400. Do you think I can remember the name? Nup!
Anywho, the big truckstop. Had a sitdown restaurant, a takeaway food bar and petrol....sorry, Gas pumps.
The Wayfare!!!! Memory came back. Not sure if the Cookstown one had the same name or not. I think it did.
Now...what was HER name?
Wanda somebody.
Buggah! Never mind.
Cheers
Jim
I disagree with the driving in the winter issue; I repair these cars time to time and one of my customers has an 88 cabrio with 345k on it. Winter driven and just a touch of surface rust on the right lower fender. Was rust proofed each year. Krown isn't the best rust proofing out there. It can get washed out with driving especially in the wheel well area. This is what I was told by a Krown guy. you need something thick and dripless.

Salt is being used in Toronto still, but it is now a liquid solution being sprayed and not so much the rock salt kind. Moisture also makes a car rust. I haven't driven my 325is for 2 years in the winter and I can see gradual surface rust forming. mind you it stays outside but will happen especially over winter so a car cover and or garage would be ideal. Mine is filled with crap at the moment.

Not all E30s have LSD some were ordered with it and some came standard depending on the model. 325is came standard with 3:73 or 4:10 depending on transmission. 325ix also came standard with LSD regardless of transmission. all other models had open diffs. the e30 is great in winter. one rule that needs to be followed. PUT A DAMN GOOD SET OF WINTER TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS!! I never got stuck with my car except when I put some cheap winters on and then I was in trouble. the newer bmw's have more trouble in the snow.

As for keeping the convertible for summer driving? we have factory hard tops here too. :-)

Lastly as mentioned guys will buy "winter beaters" even if they are bmw's and use those instead our restored garage queens!! LOL

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
davericher20
black and blue

Yup, ix is AWD, I believe the IS, M3 and some vert models had lsd only. Not hard to swap in though. Bring that too if yours is good. That truckstop is gone, they're rebuilding a new one. And throw away any memory you had of Bradford. We have a Walmart now lol. Grown big time in the last 5 years and real estate is stupid high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

yeah, what happened to small town feel. I do remember that here in Toronto at some point.......back in the 70's...LOL

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I don't think there would be a need to convert to LHD. Lots of RHD drive cars around these days, mostly from Japan.

I say ship it over. You will not find a rust free E30 here. Even people who have taken ridiculous care of their cars have rust; its a fact of life here.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Grandad
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
yeah, what happened to small town feel. I do remember that here in Toronto at some point.......back in the 70's...LOL
And.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
And throw away any memory you had of Bradford. We have a Walmart now lol. Grown big time in the last 5 years and real estate is stupid high.
Relax guys. I have absolutely no pre-conceived images of anywhere in Canada.
I made a trip back to Barrie before my eldest daughter was born and she's now 24.
When I left Barrie at 17 (1967) it was celebrating its population having broken the 40,000 mark. With the joys of Wikipedia I've been able to keep up with changes. I saw on my last trip the house where I was born and the house I grew up in. And my old highschool was still there.
Very recent emails from family tell me they're all still there although the house where I lived is now a boarding house and apparantly it's not a particularly "Nice" part of town anymore.
The school has changed its name. Droppped the "District" part.But its still there.

Barrie now has a population of roughly 130,000 which makes it similar in size to the city where I live in Oz. And about the same area as well.

Just for a giggle, for anybody who is old enough to remember, I searched Google Maps for what we used to call Yorkville Village. Yorkville Ave off Yonge St. Anybody want to put their hand up as remembering that particular landmark?
Anyway...its all gone. It's buried in the same hole they put the Haight Ashbury district in San Francisco.

There's a very famous quote you may or may not know. "You can never go home again"

That is quite correct because the Barrie I remember is very long gone. But that's ok. There's a brand new place where it once was that I can explore and get to know.

And for all those who have mentioned "Premium" or "Stupid high" prices, let me say its all relative.
I've been told your gas prices are "through the roof" According to my searches gas per litre in Barrie is between $1.25 to $1.27 per litre. I pay $1.61 for premium petrol here. Standard unleaded is about $1.52.

I've seached housing prices around Simco County and for what I can sell my place for which is considered low end of this market, I can buy an upper range Condo or a very nice 3 bed family home in Barrie.

I'm a smoker, so I was warned that cigarettes are "Hellishly" expensive. Upwards of $10 for a pack of 25. Same pack here would cost ~$25.
And prices for accessories and parts for my E30? Don't even go there. You guys are paying WAY less than we have to pay and being so close to the USA, you have a vastly superior range to choose from.

I have made one decision though. I'm coming for a reconnoitre visit first, just to check things out for myself. Actually SEE for myself how bad some of these cars really are and what some of the houses I'm looking at on the net actually look like inside in real life.
Tickets are booked. I'll be there early to mid October. Yes, I know. I picked the best time of year climate wise. You think I'm silly?
Cheers
Jim

Last edited by Grandad; 07-12-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Grandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #21
sooze30
1st Gear Newbie

Welcome to the board!

Since you're coming from Oz you'll likely land on our lovely west coast. I suggest spending a few days looking for a car there and having it shipped to Barrie if you find one. I know from experience there are plenty of rust-free E30s on Vancouver Island. That's where mine came from. Had it shipped to Toronto for about $1100 on a train (Sea Rail).

Here is a good example of what you could find: http://victoria.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ394265315 People on this board tend to really like those wheels!

Good luck!
sooze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #22
Grandad
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah, I like those wheels too. You guys have got some real low milage examples there. I guess most are only driven 6 months of the year. I'm coming in through LA and Detroit this time. Never had a stopover in Detroit before. Only an hour or so.
It's a pity actually.
One of my very very good highschool friends lives in Vancouver. Saw him last trip.
I like Vancouver but it's the lakes I miss the most.
This is only a visit. I'll be there for about 4 weeks.
Might have a look at some car yards in LA. See what gives there.
Thanks for stopping by.
Jim
Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
Grandad
1st Gear Newbie

Just had a closer look at that ad.
A low milage Hertge WITH hardtop for $7500. I like it. Wouldn't find that here.
Jim

Edit to add: Stuff the train. I'd drive it across. Now THAT would be a nice trip. In the summer of course.

Last edited by Grandad; 07-15-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: