Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

Anyone e-test an E46 M3 with euro cats?

I am installing Fabspeed headers and I need to get cats. Either a CPI 200 or OEM Euro cats both of which use 200 cell metallic cats and have the proper rear O2 locations etc.

Has anyone done an e-test in Ontario like this? I just had my car tested this spring and it was waaay below the maximum PPI in all categories, running very clean, so I'm wondering if it will still pass the sniffer with higher flow units in.

The car is an '03 M3
Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
toy4to
1st Gear Newbie

I have HJS 200 cell cats in my section 1 with a supercharger and csl headers. No problems with emissions testing.

I believe CPI is selling this setup for $1500.

Last edited by toy4to; 06-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.
toy4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping to get away with their normal 200 cell unit that are less than $700USD. I know Euro cats are 200 cell but the piping in that section 1 is smaller than the CPI piping and those cats likely aren't as hi-flow as the aftermarket ones. Maybe I should just suck it up and buy the HJS catted section 1 and be done with it. I also plan on doing an ESS455 kit next spring.

What supercharger kit are you running?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
toy4to
1st Gear Newbie

I don't know how much of a difference there is between the piping when comparing euro/csl vs. cpi. If I had to do things over again...I think I'd go with CPI's setup where they have the cats AND resonator in section 1 to get rid of the rasp.

My setup: csl headers, miltek section 1 (hjs cats), oem section 2, supersprint race muffler. I have an AA Gen 6 kit, and e-tested below the limits (not on their dyno, but via two-speed ide test). I was able to do the two-speed idle test instead of going on the dyno because my car was too low to get onto the ramp.

Last edited by toy4to; 06-22-2012 at 04:19 PM.
toy4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

Dont waste your money on highflow/racing cats. They will only last a year anyway.

Its much MUCH cheaper to pay for a hot test every 2 years then spend 700-1500 on some cats that will fail after a year and restrict you from using full potential of your headers.

Save your money
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

^ I don't mind spending the money if I get the results I want. Cats will keep the smell and the rasp down a bit as well as ensure if I ever get pulled over outside the track by the MTO I won't get hit with a $380 fine for not having them. I also don't want to have to worry about finding a hot etest...places that do them come and go so every 2 years you're out looking again, too much hassle.

toy4to: nice set up! You ever hit up the track for lapping days?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

^^ you realize that there isnt any aftermarket highflow cat that will last more then a year? maybe 1.5 years at max.

Do the install properly and you will not get any smell, I havent smelled anything from inside of any of my BMWs for over 4 years (headers +stock exhaust and headers + magnaflow) , sure I can smell it outside but inside it smells like flowers.

The only hassle I see, is you trying to figure out how to throw away your money.

Get a proper exhaust system with an X pipe if you dont like rasp. I, personally love rasp as much as a fat chick likes candy so thats not my concern
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

I agree if a part fails that soon it's a waste but why do you say hi-flow cats don't last? I've had them before on previous cars, I have friends with them and I've never seen one fail. I've also seen people buying and selling used SuperSprint cats on the forums all the time that have 20+K miles on them and no-one has ever said they bought shyt cats off X member and they want a refund.

If a cat fails that soon there's a tuning issue with the car that's plugging it up (way too rich) or melting it (way too lean), or it was a cheap china-made unit that broke apart due to vibration. Can you clarify what the failure is you're talking about?

I guess you've never been at Cayuga when the cops and MTO wait outside for everyone to leave...to me, fines are throwing away money.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

I can only speak of Magnaflow and similar hi flow cats, they burn off right after about a year. They might still work but they wont pass ON emissions. I had personal experience with them and many people report the same thing. There is a reason why OEM cats cost $2000 and aftermarket ones cost $200-300 . Cant speak off SS cats thou

Im a regular at TMP, but I never seen MTO waiting for people to leave let alone check cars for no reason. Maybe its because I dont go with 17 year old rice drivers following me. Were you ever stopped and checked ? If you have , what'd they check, visual or sniffer ?

I sure have heard of people getting tickets for no cats and a "loud" muffler , my friends even got some, but it was all because they drove like lunatics and they absolutely deserve the tickets .

I think you worry to much about something that you shouldnt worry at all .
Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

I'm 34 so I'm not hanging out with 17 year olds either. I have been there when the MTO set up a cash grab outside the track, I wasn't in my car that day I was with a friend who was running his car (it was a drag race event though), he got through but a bunch of friends didn't. They were popping hoods and doing the sniffer, if they didn't get you on the sniffer they were handing out tickets for dumb sh!t like having the PCV system not hooked into an aftermarket intake, car lowered too much etc. When I've been there for lapping I haven't seen them.

If you are catless, what are you doing about the rear O2? I won't have an CEL on, it would drive me nuts. I'm very picky with having everything working the way it should.

I've heard awful things about magnaflow cats...I would be going OEM euro which are 200 cell but should still pass emissions or I'd go with Vibrant Metallic core.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

WOW, thats crazy that they do that kind of stuff. Car too low ... oh wow what have the ministry become ...

There are a few things you can do to get rid of the CEL.

-you can run O2 simulators , they cost about $40 and they are these little simulators that you slide into your existing post cat O2 sensors. Cheap and it will work.

-you can run O2 stacks aka defoulers. These are little stacks that you install and they act like a spacer between the exhaust gas and the tip of O2 sensor. Very cheap but at times the space is already limited and you cant install these stacks. Some headers will fit them some wont due to clearance. I had them on my E39, worked fine . I had to order from US thou , noone had the stacks n Canada
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=749327

-Or you can get a tune that will eliminate the CEL. AA, ESS, Evolve and maybe Shark but I cant remember if Shark does it, are all great tunes you can get, but you'd have to send your ECu in and wait a week before it comes back.

Right now I have MarkD software

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: