Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly
 
careless7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 761
McLaren Toronto grand opening



So I recently got the invite for the McLaren Toronto grand opening and figured I'd share. Chris Pfaff and I got a chance to hang and chat about the new venture.

This car is ridiculously badass and can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/06/18/mc...and-chris-pfa/

__________________
careless7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member
 
cormier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. George, ON
Posts: 1,640
That dealer is crazy awesome. Another perk of being @ maranello all the time
__________________

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,249
Badass? I think it's neat but hardly badass. Looks like a glorified Exige.

Prost's MP4 inside on the other hand... badass.
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly
 
careless7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Badass? I think it's neat but hardly badass. Looks like a glorified Exige.

Prost's MP4 inside on the other hand... badass.
The styling took a while but I'm really warming up to it. What you have to understand every single piece or shape on the MP4-12C has a purpose and this is what McLaren engineers came up with. The rolling chassis inside I think is where I'm impressed the most. That hydraulic system up front for example is pure genius, the structure is intense.

Checking out the ones in the service bay on the lifts was more interesting than looking at the skin.

I'll be track testing it at Mosport and I'm sure I'll care even less about the styling then.
__________________
careless7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Quack
Wheelman
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,073
Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
The styling took a while but I'm really warming up to it. What you have to understand every single piece or shape on the MP4-12C has a purpose and this is what McLaren engineers came up with. The rolling chassis inside I think is where I'm impressed the most. That hydraulic system up front for example is pure genius, the structure is intense.
I totally agree, I also didn't like the styling when it first came out, thought some of the design choices were odd, but after watching this vid everything came together and made sense.

__________________

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
nice, hopefully they can mass produce these so that we can all buy one for $20,000 in 5 years from now.

they mostly plastic tooo now right?
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
So I recently got the invite for the McLaren Toronto grand opening and figured I'd share. Chris Pfaff and I got a chance to hang and chat about the new venture.

This car is ridiculously badass and can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/06/18/mc...and-chris-pfa/

Good read.. informative.. LottoMax tonight ??
lol
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
The styling took a while but I'm really warming up to it. What you have to understand every single piece or shape on the MP4-12C has a purpose and this is what McLaren engineers came up with. The rolling chassis inside I think is where I'm impressed the most. That hydraulic system up front for example is pure genius, the structure is intense.

Checking out the ones in the service bay on the lifts was more interesting than looking at the skin.

I'll be track testing it at Mosport and I'm sure I'll care even less about the styling then.
I didn't say I don't like the styling, not do I fail to appreciate how impressive it is as an engineering achievement, or how quick it must be. But that doesn't make it automatically cool. It's the definition of a Ron Dennis brainchild - clean and by the numbers.

An example of what I mean is the Gen 1 GTS Viper. I know it's a piece of crap of a car, I don't give half a shit, it's BADASS.

And frankly, since none of these types of cars will ever see 80% of their performance envelope (unless it's part of being fanboied into a tree), it seems to make more sense for a OMGLOOKATME car to be badass at first glance, rather than needing to read the manual to find out.

Not that it matters what I think since I'll never be able to afford it but to me, the mind-blowing part of that dealership is the MP4/5. I don't know how many of these cars exist in the world but this is probably the only one you can casually stroll in and gawk at. I stood there for a good 5 min looking into the cockpit, taking back every pussy thing I ever said about Prost...
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly
 
careless7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 761
See that is the difference D. For me, I have seen and done and driven a lot of cars. It takes more than you can imagine to impress me and dish out true accolades.

So we split hairs on the wording, I could care less but since I appreciate this car in a different way rather than slagging it off as a "glorified Exige" that is how I will describe the MP4-12C. And sorry don't buy the Gen I GTS example, that may fly with cut off jean-short wearing whitehairs swigging MGD but I thought the car was rather crass until the 08+ ACR

I'm sure if you had the funds to buy a McLaren, you could make it whatever. After all not many people driving stock cars on Max... and then there is the High Sport







__________________
careless7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm
 
kamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
it seems to make more sense for a OMGLOOKATME car to be badass at first glance, rather than needing to read the manual to find out.
...or in the words of Jeremy Clarkson in the late 80's : "A super car is one that has looks that snap knicker-elastic from 50 paces."

Quote:
[...] mind-blowing part of that dealership is the MP4/5. I don't know how many of these cars exist in the world but this is probably the only one you can casually stroll in and gawk at. I stood there for a good 5 min looking into the cockpit, taking back every pussy thing I ever said about Prost...
...I knew the Prost car was there before I went, and I was half-determined to quietly spit in it for the 1989 daylight robbery... and then I saw how the mirrors are about the size of my THUMB ... and took it all back..
__________________
 
kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
canukgtp
2nd Gear Member
 
canukgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 111
and also as Clarkson said ''why did they name it after a photocopier'' lol...

My God, the size of those brake disks is nuts! I think it's a clean, good looking car.
canukgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
^^ takes alot of friction to slow down a car going 280km/h.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,773
id rather have the original mcleran f1.

and obviously if youve been by maranello you wouldve seen the dealership already
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,271
Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would say stupidity beyond borders. It would have been a good idea if this was in place 40 years ago. That's the time when Toronto saw some better days. Today you got no infrastructure to take this beast for a ride. If that is not true, what about 50km/h over? Not enough? what about if you get off gardiner on Yonge/BAY StreeT and some concrete falls on it from that overpass? Get real!
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
I would say stupidity beyond borders. It would have been a good idea if this was in place 40 years ago. That's the time when Toronto saw some better days. Today you got no infrastructure to take this beast for a ride. If that is not true, what about 50km/h over? Not enough? what about if you get off gardiner on Yonge/BAY StreeT and some concrete falls on it from that overpass? Get real!


lol hit some rail road tracks on strachan, or a nice pot hole on bathurst.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015