Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
propr'one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,753
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Why would you not post the shops name? We've all figured out who it is through other members posts, but if we hadn't, what would the point of reading your whole 3 page thread be? It wouldn't be slander if you had posted the shops name, it would be a review. The only possible reason for this thread is to warn other people about alphaworks, without that info this is just a rant.


Also, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..."
__________________
I run a canadian HID kit company, if you have any questions about hid kits in canada or would like to check out our products please contact me here: http://absolutehid.ca

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet
 
BMWdouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan View Post
I don't think the word 'rave' is an accurate description of my post, because my message was very clear (not insane or incoherent), and I did not slander anyone's name or business; I could've easily mentioned which shop it is but I refuse to do that.

And yes, I came here specifically to post my review but I don't see how that makes it a fake story. Everyone has to start from somewhere. But of course you have the right to question, and you don't have to believe me. You can simply skip to the next topic.

And it's fine if someone wants to track my IP--I did not commit a crime, you know. I am simply sharing my bad experience with a certain shop/mechanic. I definitely have the right to do that. I am sure many others can identify with having to deal with a bad mechanic, especially BMW drivers who love their cars and really want to fix them.

I decided to create another account so the shop won't be easily tracked from my original user name. I hate to be the reason a business suffers financially, after all their business is the source of their income. May be my case was a rare unlucky case with this mechanic; may be others had better luck, I don't know. I am not claiming that he is a bad mechanic because of my experience with him. All I am doing is sharing my frustration. I bought my first BMW few months ago and I thought it was going to be an exciting experience, but so far I have been unable to enjoy it like I had hoped to.

And your apologies are accepted.
I find it shady that you aren't releasing the name of the shop that screwed you over so bad... most people would be quite pissed and create a thread saying "STAY AWAY FROM XYZ MOTORS" if they got screwed that hard.

I find it hard to believe that you are keeping your cool to not hurt their business... if this is true (which I am 99% that it is fake from your wording and use of grammar).. you are absolutely the nicest person on the planet and some sort of christian missionary who goes door to door preaching about jesus and forgiveness.

But since you drive a BMW.. we all know you aren't nice... because BMW owners aren't nice.
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Why would you not post the shops name? We've all figured out who it is through other members posts, but if we hadn't, what would the point of reading your whole 3 page thread be? It wouldn't be slander if you had posted the shops name, it would be a review. The only possible reason for this thread is to warn other people about alphaworks, without that info this is just a rant.


Also, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..."
I guess it's just a rant then. Sorry. Not all messages have to be about warning others. People communicate their experiences for different reasons. Sometimes people just want to share what happened to them, you know. And since this is a BMW forum I decided to share it here. Sorry, but you didn't have to read my whole 3 pages thread--thank you for doing so though.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
I find it shady that you aren't releasing the name of the shop that screwed you over so bad... most people would be quite pissed and create a thread saying "STAY AWAY FROM XYZ MOTORS" if they got screwed that hard.

I find it hard to believe that you are keeping your cool to not hurt their business... if this is true (which I am 99% that it is fake from your wording and use of grammar).. you are absolutely the nicest person on the planet and some sort of christian missionary who goes door to door preaching about jesus and forgiveness.

But since you drive a BMW.. we all know you aren't nice... because BMW owners aren't nice.
Sorry about my wording and grammar but English isn't my first language. I am Christian, but I don't go door to door preaching--I actually don't even go to church.

I wish I was the nicest person in the word, but sadly I am not. I bought a BMW because I am passionate about the brand since my teens. (I promised myself that my first car will be a BMW and I waited 10 years until I bought one! And I am pretty sure my next car will be a BMW too!) I didn't buy it to race on the streets, or be rude to other drives, or impress girls. I don't agree with you by saying BMW owners aren't nice. I've met quite few nice BMW owners, including a member on this forum who offered me the use of his garage and liftjack when I asked for help on this forum.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member
 
Barnsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 237
What model was your car? E36, E46. E90...?
Barnsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan View Post
So what is wrong with the first mechanic? Here is what I think are his main weaknesses:

1) He has no experience. He has 16 years experience working for BMW, and 2 years in his shop, but he really doesnít seem to know whatís wrong when a car has a problem. At least he doesnít seem to know BMWs well, but then again he didnít even know how to fix the noise in the rear wheel! And I am sure all cars donít shut down under hard braking! (Manual cars might if the drive doesnít know what he is doing, but definitely not automatic ones!)

2) Almost every time I went to his shop he was on his cell phone. I wished for once he was focused only on whatís wrong with my car. Thatís why the second mechanic ended up doing a lot of the work.

3) He did not have a BMW scanner so he used a generic scanner which gave him strange codes every time the engine light came on.

4) Most importantly he seems to guess whatís the problem (since he doesnít seem to have the knowledge, guessing seems to be his method) and stick with that idea! So, the shimmy must be from the drive shaftóif itís not the driver side then itís the passenger side. (He could be right, after all I havenít replaced the passenger side drive shaft!) The engine shut down problem must be because of the fuel, if putting Octane doesnít work then put more Octane, if putting premium gas from Shell doesnít work then put more premium gas from Shell. The noise from the rear wheel must be from the brake pads, if sanding the brake pads doesnít work then sand them again and again and again! And if all of the above donít work then give it a week and redo the above steps again!
What's wrong with the first mechanic is that he shouldn't be operating a shop and you should have never gone back to him that many times in a row.

THAT is what's wrong.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,741
chalk it up as a learning experience.

next time you notice that kind of incompetence dont keep bringing the car back to the same place.
lol
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
cisco911
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,513
It is people like this that give mechanics a bad name. You say you hate going to the mechanic more than the dentist? This is because you don't have a good mechanic! There are many good mechanics out their. A couple are sponsors on here and there are many other independants. My father is an independant mechanic that works on mainly german makes. He sees people come in all the time with problems that other mechanics can't fix. The funny thing is that in alot of cases, these other shops have taken these customers for alot more than my father will actually fixing the problem, just like Rocco made next to nothing fixing the problem, while the first mechanic made good coin replacing un-necessary parts.

Also, if you have a BMW and you go to a shop that can't scan it properly, your in the wrong place! What kind of ex BMW Tech runs a shop without a proper scanner??

At the end of the day though, you can't put all the blame on the mechanic. It is the customer's responsibility to make sure who they are leaving their car with. I know sometimes people refer you to people they know, but you should still do your due diligence. Not having a scanner for a make you are trained on repairing and is your bread and butter is a dead give away to get out of there fast.

A mechanic is like a doctor. You have a family doctor because he/she knows your medical history and can provide better service to your health because he know that history. Your mechanic is the same thing. He will know your vehicle and know what kind of shape it is in, your driving style, and common problems with that vehicle that will help him better diagnose the issues. That is why shop jumpers always get screwed.

So in the case of the original poster, you see that rocco did a great job, maybe you should make the drive to have him be your regular mechanic. Or maybe you will do some more research and be able to find someone as good or better than rocco near your home.

Or lastly, maybe you will be lazy (like many people are) and take your car to the quikie lube down the street because it is close by and your engine will seize because the 16 year old trainee forgot to tighten the drain plug (just an extreme example...not taking jabs at anyone or any place).
__________________
I'm just a crazy m*thrf*cker, livin it up, not givin a f*ck, living life in the fast lane

Last edited by cisco911; 06-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.
cisco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
What's wrong with the first mechanic is that he shouldn't be operating a shop and you should have never gone back to him that many times in a row.

THAT is what's wrong.
I agree with you. But this is my first car and my first mechanic experience. Hopefully I learned my lesson.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
It is people like this that give mechanics a bad name. You say you hate going to the mechanic more than the dentist? This is because you don't have a good mechanic! There are many good mechanics out their. A couple are sponsors on here and there are many other independants. My father is an independant mechanic that works on mainly german makes. He sees people come in all the time with problems that other mechanics can't fix. The funny thing is that in alot of cases, these other shops have taken these customers for alot more than my father will actually fixing the problem, just like Rocco made next to nothing fixing the problem, while the first mechanic made good coin replacing un-necessary parts.

Also, if you have a BMW and you go to a shop that can't scan it properly, your in the wrong place! What kind of ex BMW Tech runs a shop without a proper scanner??

At the end of the day though, you can't put all the blame on the mechanic. It is the customer's responsibility to make sure who they are leaving their car with. I know sometimes people refer you to people they know, but you should still do your due diligence. Not having a scanner for a make you are trained on repairing and is your bread and butter is a dead give away to get out of there fast.

A mechanic is like a doctor. You have a family doctor because he/she knows your medical history and can provide better service to your health because he know that history. Your mechanic is the same thing. He will know your vehicle and know what kind of shape it is in, your driving style, and common problems with that vehicle that will help him better diagnose the issues. That is why shop jumpers always get screwed.

So in the case of the original poster, you see that rocco did a great job, maybe you should make the drive to have him be your regular mechanic. Or maybe you will do some more research and be able to find someone as good or better than rocco near your home.

Or lastly, maybe you will be lazy (like many people are) and take your car to the quikie lube down the street because it is close by and your engine will seize because the 16 year old trainee forgot to tighten the drain plug (just an extreme example...not taking jabs at anyone or any place).
Beautifully said, and I agree with you. But it takes a couple of bad experiences to realize you are in the wrong place. If you donít mind me asking: which shop does your dad run? (Just out of curiosity.)

To be honest, I think that mechanic is such a nice person (one of the nicest people Iíve dealt with), and he really tried to help me but he simply didnít know how. Itís good to be nice, but nice without knowledge and skills is not much of help if you want to be a professional.

Even the rotors he installed 2 months ago (brand new), I am not happy with them because the brakes pulsate when braking indicating uneven rotor surfaces.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
cisco911
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan View Post
Beautifully said, and I agree with you. But it takes a couple of bad experiences to realize you are in the wrong place. If you don’t mind me asking: which shop does your dad run? (Just out of curiosity.)

To be honest, I think that mechanic is such a nice person (one of the nicest people I’ve dealt with), and he really tried to help me but he simply didn’t know how. It’s good to be nice, but nice without knowledge and skills is not much of help if you want to be a professional.

Even the rotors he installed 2 months ago (brand new), I am not happy with them because the brakes pulsate when braking indicating uneven rotor surfaces.
It is all a learning experience, but you have to be careful, especially when dealing with higher end vehicles.

My father runs a small shop in downtown toronto (College and Ossington). It's called Mauricio's Auto Repair. If you want more details, PM me.
__________________
I'm just a crazy m*thrf*cker, livin it up, not givin a f*ck, living life in the fast lane

Last edited by cisco911; 06-18-2012 at 04:31 PM.
cisco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,741
you probably got shitty pads installed when you did the rotors. thats the problem. pad deposits.

get a proper pad in there and bed them in nicely and youll be fine.
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
5style
Hatters gon Hatt
 
5style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronot
Posts: 5,129
I dunno whether to laugh or cry at this thread....

Violent shaking? Shimmey? What did you get china brakes??

Shutting off?

Facepalm.
__________________
Cayenne hunting!
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Steel City
Posts: 776
Can't go wrong with RMP. Trust me. Been to dealers, so called local BMW specialists over the years and keep going back to RMP. I am sure there are some other well recommended places on this forum. Listen to the guys and girls on the forums. We are passionate about our cars different than the guys that just lease a new one every 3-4 years and never worry as they are always under warranttee. I'm an hour away from RMP and it's worth the drive.
__________________
03 AW on LSB M3 coupe, BMW motorsport 4.10 Diff, AA Exhaust, OEM CSL rims, Aero Res, TMS subframe, powerflex bshgs, Macht Schnell, Vorsteiner diffuser, TMS steel lines etc..
Complete Comp Pkg Upgrade
2012 Honda CRV winterbeater
3x Beemer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
5style
Hatters gon Hatt
 
5style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronot
Posts: 5,129
Picking up a book and DIYs off BFC and pelican is also a great way to get this done right.
__________________
Cayenne hunting!
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014