Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Is this a good price?

I've been to many body shops trying to get a estimates of how much it costs to do body work on my 2002 E39. Some shops quoted me around $950 for both bumpers. But I finally got a shop that I kind of like their prices and a that is: $3,700 for a complete repair and paint bumper to bumper except the roof, because my car's roof is in a pretty good shape.

This restoration includes a rusty door, many scratches and dents all over the car, broken bumper mold, loose bumper that needs a new bracket, new front bumper grill that is in a bad shape, loose fog lights, repairs of my side mirrors bases which is a white metal that's in a very bad shape, even repairing and repainting the side mirrors!

The idea is to leave the car with them for 2 weeks and they will make it look like it is new bumper to bumper except the roof which they will buff. The reason I like this shop (which is located in Toronto where I live) is that the master painter there is a perfectionist and he wouldn't do only two bumpers and the rusty door. He says if he is going to do it then he will do it right or not do it, because he says if he fixes the door it will look so much better than the rest of the car and the whole car won't look right or nice.

So my question is this: is $3,700 for a complete body work+paint (except the roof) is a good deal or not?

Thanks and I am waiting for your replies
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Paint alone can reach that high. I'd say that's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
Paint alone can reach that high. I'd say that's fair.
Thank you. That's what I thought. Well, I said I will do this body work if I get a full-time job (I only have an evening part time job now) and I just got a job offer yesterday! So it looks like I might go with this body work. I am so excited!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

I found a place today that's recommended by Rocco. The place is right in front of RMP Motors and they would do the whole car (dent repairs, rust, and paint) for $2,500! Not bad, eh? It will cost me about $3,000 because I have a rusty door that needs to be replaced and a bumper trim and grid that are broken.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
MrPig
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
I found a place today that's recommended by Rocco. The place is right in front of RMP Motors and they would do the whole car (dent repairs, rust, and paint) for $2,500! Not bad, eh? It will cost me about $3,000 because I have a rusty door that needs to be replaced and a bumper trim and grid that are broken.
Do you mind PMing me the info? I have an e30 I need some minor body work on that I want to respray. I know Luxury Auto Body has been recommended countless times here but their location is way too far for me + they work odd hours.
MrPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
jmack
2nd Gear Member

What's so special about the car that you would want to drop $2500-4000 on paint/body work? Are you planning on keeping it for a long time? Is it an M5, or M-Sport at least?

It's easier to sell your car and buy one that has been well taken care, paint wise and mechanically, repaints are never near the same quality as the original spray and clearcoat unless you are spending top dollar.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
What's so special about the car that you would want to drop $2500-4000 on paint/body work? Are you planning on keeping it for a long time? Is it an M5, or M-Sport at least?

It's easier to sell your car and buy one that has been well taken care, paint wise and mechanically, repaints are never near the same quality as the original spray and clearcoat unless you are spending top dollar.
There is nothing special about my caróitís just an ordinary E39 that was not taken good care of. Anyway, itís my first car and I love it. And I am planning to keep it for at least 5 years. But it does need body work. Yesterday the loose pumper started rattling after hitting a pothole on the highway. I personally prefer to keep my car than buy a new one thatís in a better condition. At least with my car I know what it needs and what I have done to itóthere are no surprises.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Do you mind PMing me the info? I have an e30 I need some minor body work on that I want to respray. I know Luxury Auto Body has been recommended countless times here but their location is way too far for me + they work odd hours.
Here is the info. of the body shop. Letís know if you decide to go ahead with the body repairs. May be share some pictures too? I canít vouch for their work, but if Rocco says they are good then I take his word for it. They also quoted me the best prices and I have been to at least 7 places so far. Good luck.

Sak Auto Collision Ltd0
11 Goodmark Pl, U 4
Etobicoke, ON
M9W 6R9
Phone: 416-679-1725
Toll-free: 888-636-0310
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
There is nothing special about my caróitís just an ordinary E39 that was not taken good care of. Anyway, itís my first car and I love it. And I am planning to keep it for at least 5 years. But it does need body work. Yesterday the loose pumper started rattling after hitting a pothole on the highway.
OK, gotcha. First cars are always special no matter which one they are. Mine was a Miata, which I have sadly sold, but with a baby there was just no way to justify keeping it.

That being said, if I was in your shoes I would try and keep the car mechanically in shape. My 540's were my 2nd and 4th cars, and the amount of money dumped into maintenance and parts was pretty high, and they always need something. But speaking honestly, there is no sense in dumping money into paint on a car that is already beat up. You will never get your money back when you sell - and who knows, circumstances might change and you might have to dump the car. But as you said, personal preference right?

Quote:
I personally prefer to keep my car than buy a new one thatís in a better condition. At least with my car I know what it needs and what I have done to itóthere are no surprises.
I guess. My last 540i that I bought had a full maintenance history, drastically cutting down the number of surprises to a bum alternator installed by BMW of Ottawa. Due diligence in purchasing goes a long way. I was glad to get rid of my first 540i and let someone else deal with all it's issues, in favor for a one owner car with full records. Totally night and day experience.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
MrPig
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Here is the info. of the body shop. Letís know if you decide to go ahead with the body repairs. May be share some pictures too? I canít vouch for their work, but if Rocco says they are good then I take his word for it. They also quoted me the best prices and I have been to at least 7 places so far. Good luck.

Sak Auto Collision Ltd0
11 Goodmark Pl, U 4
Etobicoke, ON
M9W 6R9
Phone: 416-679-1725
Toll-free: 888-636-0310
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get another quote at another shop (Impera Auto Body and Paint, also recommended here). I'll let you know which shop I decide to go with.
MrPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get another quote at another shop (Impera Auto Body and Paint, also recommended here). I'll let you know which shop I decide to go with.
Mr. Impera is the nicest man I met in a long, long time. He was so unbelievably friendly, and helpful. He also has over 30 years experience in body repairs. Let me know what he quotes you. I didn't ask him about the full car body repairs quote so I can't compare it to SAK's quote.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Yea, my car is only 3 months old so there is no sense in selling it. And when I bought it I knew it has many issues, but I liked it. There was another E39 being sold and that car was in a much better shape (no scratches and no dents, at all!) But I liked this car more because it was just the way I wanted it: black, beige leather, wood trim, and sport package (steering wheel, etc).

Also, my E39 drove better than any Honda and Toyota I have driven even before I repair anything on it! And I am talking about 2008-2010 Accords and Camrys! It’s such a quiet, smooth, and fun car to drive. Before I do any of the body repairs I want to make sure it’s mechanially in an excellent condition. I’ve done a lot of work on it, so hopefully just a couple of things are left to be done. I am taking it this Friday to RMP Motors to have the thrust arms changed.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Hi guys, sorry but I got the shops mixed up. Rocco recommended JC and not SAK. I don't have experience with either, but looking at Rocco's car I can tell JC does a good job. JC even gave me a lower quote than SAK's $2,500. And JC is a very friendly man. Both shops are beside each other on Goodmark Place. Instead of going left into RMP Motors, turn right.

Good luck! Show us some pics when you get your car gets its makeover!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

JC Collision Ltd.
11 Goodmark Place, unit #3
Etobicoke, ON

Jagtar Chohan
C: 647-588-5152
416-679-1630 (shop?)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Keep in mind that a lot of the labour is prepping the car properly. Be sure there is no shortcuts here, or you'll be dissapointed with the end result.
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: