Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
I don't see what the big deal is about the "gap".

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #32
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

I dont think they like modified cars, My cousin worked for TD monex. They gave me a hard time with the missing air bag from an after market wheel on my e34.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #33
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

I'm switching to TD Monnex Meloche as well and they want me to take my 13 year old 323i to one of their inspections. So no problems with slightly lowered car? I have an intake too but I can easily replace it with stock airbox to avoid hassle.

They don't require inspection for the 2006 X5 and 2008 Z4M though.
Quickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

my car is slightly lowred and they didnt say anything about it.

didnt open the hood.

just asked abut my aftermarket deck..and asked if i had any other sound system in the trunk..LOL ( didnt even open the trunk ) .

that was it.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

Cool thanks.... I hope I get the same treatment
Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #36
nadocaster
1st Gear Newbie

Sorry to revive a month-old thread but I found this in a search and I will also have an inspection coming up with this insurer. TD Meloche Monnex has already threatened to cancel insurance on account of "modifications" because of a set of Bilsteins, until I described them as replacement parts.

But now I have to have the car inspected, which is mandatory for the 25-and-under set. Mostly not a problem, since the car is essentially stock, but it does come with a Scorpion catback exhaust and I'm not sure they will agree with the "replacement parts" argument.

I've been through these inspections before and know it's just a couple of 3/4 exterior shots etc., but I'm concerned that some fool at TD is going to see the shiny Scorpion tip and decide "omg illegal streetracing modz, cancel policy now."

Advice?

Last edited by nadocaster; 05-26-2012 at 12:51 PM.
nadocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

The inspection places are independent shops that are part of a network of inspection shops and they have no direct relationship to TD.

Basically, it will all depend on the person doing the inspection. Unless your exhaust is extremely loud, I think you'll be fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
nadocaster
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah, I get that- but don't they send the photos to TD?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #39
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

They do but TD will only look if necessary. The shop will declare pass or fail right away.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #40
nadocaster
1st Gear Newbie

Solid. Okay- thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #41
liquidc3lls
1st Gear Newbie

Let me tell u something about meloche, i had a dent in my passenger door, eventually i had to take it in for the inspection, after snapping photos and what not, a week later meloche calls me telling me that my car is unsafe due to the dent, its a dent caused by PO its so minimal its pathetic, so with that said, they asked to have repaired, so i did, provided photo proof and an inspection, long story short i recieved a letter from meloche a registered letter notifying that my policy has been cancelled because the repair that was done is uneligable posed danger (a dent in the door a cosmetic issue)i can scan u this letter to show u and i still have the email log, just as a heads up try and get the car in an immaculate shape if u have any body damage its a fail, and dont go to apple auto glass they r retarded they know **** all about body work and will fail u!
All in all great rates but they can be serious cocksukers when they want to be!
liquidc3lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #42
zc911
2nd Gear Member

Years ago I had to take my civic for an inspection with those guys, got dropped like a hot potato but I had sparco seat, steering wheel and a bunch of other mods but those parts are what they blamed
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #43
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
I don't see what the big deal is about the "gap".
If the gap is by your choice then most companies don't ding you for it.
If it is for a cancellation you didn't request, ie: for non-payment or non-compliance, then your record can be toast.
Apparently (and this not my research), If you have had a cancellation for non-payment in the last 12 months your probability of being in an at fault accident is almost 3 times greater then a driver who hasn't. One doesn't cause the other, but the co-relation exists in actuarial studies. The theory is that it speaks to your willingness to assume risk. If you don't check your mailbox for payment notices, you probably don't check your blind spot too often, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadocaster View Post
Sorry to revive a month-old thread but I found this in a search and I will also have an inspection coming up with this insurer. TD Meloche Monnex has already threatened to cancel insurance on account of "modifications" because of a set of Bilsteins, until I described them as replacement parts.

But now I have to have the car inspected, which is mandatory for the 25-and-under set. Mostly not a problem, since the car is essentially stock, but it does come with a Scorpion catback exhaust and I'm not sure they will agree with the "replacement parts" argument.

I've been through these inspections before and know it's just a couple of 3/4 exterior shots etc., but I'm concerned that some fool at TD is going to see the shiny Scorpion tip and decide "omg illegal streetracing modz, cancel policy now."

Advice?
Generally, most insurance companies will paint all modifications with the same brush. If you deal with a bank/direct writer the person you are talking to has a list of rules/guidelines to abide by and a call volume they must deal with. Exceptions take time so the easy answer is always "NO". If you want to talk to someone who is willing to take the time to get an exception made, you are likely best finding a broker or agent.

If you do get cancelled, get a new policy in place before the old one cancels, it will save you a PILE of headaches. I'd start shopping before your appointment so you don't feel panicked. Your lead question should be, "are you able to provide a quote for a car that is modestly or severely modified for performance or appearance. Don't give all your information get the price THEN drop a "BTW my car is supercharged" bomb. The agent/broker will feel like you have wasted enough of their time already and just say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickid View Post
The inspection places are independent shops that are part of a network of inspection shops and they have no direct relationship to TD.

Basically, it will all depend on the person doing the inspection. Unless your exhaust is extremely loud, I think you'll be fine.
Companies can request inspections for different reasons. How in depth they go will depend on the nature of the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickid View Post
They do but TD will only look if necessary. The shop will declare pass or fail right away.
Insurance companies pay for each & every inspection. I can't say for certain that they review each report, but I think it is a safe assumption that the report is always sent to the insurance company. I don't believe the shop makes the call, I know all of the companies I represent make the determination themselves, not the inspection station. I'm not 100% that applies to every company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidc3lls View Post
Let me tell u something about meloche, i had a dent in my passenger door, eventually i had to take it in for the inspection, after snapping photos and what not, a week later meloche calls me telling me that my car is unsafe due to the dent, its a dent caused by PO its so minimal its pathetic, so with that said, they asked to have repaired, so i did, provided photo proof and an inspection, long story short i recieved a letter from meloche a registered letter notifying that my policy has been cancelled because the repair that was done is uneligable posed danger (a dent in the door a cosmetic issue)i can scan u this letter to show u and i still have the email log, just as a heads up try and get the car in an immaculate shape if u have any body damage its a fail, and dont go to apple auto glass they r retarded they know **** all about body work and will fail u!
All in all great rates but they can be serious cocksukers when they want to be!
I've personally signed letters stating, "we need proof of repairs; pictures or reciepits" I've had to ask for pictures to verify the quality of the job, when initially receipts for $100 from canadian tire were submitted (for bondo, fiberglass and tremclad), but I've never had the policy or coverage cancelled because the repair didn't measure up. (and I've seen a few hack jobs)

There is really no reason to live in fear of these inspections. There are companies out there who happily accept cosmetic mods and even performance ones. However, these are considered on a case by base basis and if your car looks like it belongs in a video game and your abstract has more then 2 convictions or a recent accident, you are going to have a much harder time with it.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: