Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
Huge Insurance Issue! Chime in!

So my wife just moved down from Vancouver, BC. She has a clean driving record and has been driving since 2000. The car she has been driving has been under her fathers name as well as the insurnace.

When she moved down here we tried to insure her. The insurance agent requested a letter from the insurance corporation of BC to show how long she has been insured for and her driving record.

Here is the letter:

Re: Insurance coverage history and claims experience for *HER NAME* for the past 6 years

This confirms that *HER NAME* carried no vehicle insurance with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia during the specified period.

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia recorded no at fault (more than 25% liable) claims for *HER NAME* as an owner or a driver for the past 6 years.

Our records indicate that *HER NAME* has B.C. driver's licence number 7155946 issued November 26, 1999 with expiry date of May 12, 2015.

________

She was always under the impression that her name was under the insurance as an occasional driver but obviously this is not the case. Because of this issue the insurance companies want to insure her as a NEW DRIVER!

The original quote was for $1400 with 10 years driving experience. Now its jumped to $3900!

There has to be something we could do. Any suggestions?
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
So my wife just moved down from Vancouver, BC. She has a clean driving record and has been driving since 2000. The car she has been driving has been under her fathers name as well as the insurnace.

When she moved down here we tried to insure her. The insurance agent requested a letter from the insurance corporation of BC to show how long she has been insured for and her driving record.

Here is the letter:

Re: Insurance coverage history and claims experience for *HER NAME* for the past 6 years

This confirms that *HER NAME* carried no vehicle insurance with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia during the specified period.

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia recorded no at fault (more than 25% liable) claims for *HER NAME* as an owner or a driver for the past 6 years.

Our records indicate that *HER NAME* has B.C. driver's licence number 7155946 issued November 26, 1999 with expiry date of May 12, 2015.

________

She was always under the impression that her name was under the insurance as an occasional driver but obviously this is not the case. Because of this issue the insurance companies want to insure her as a NEW DRIVER!

The original quote was for $1400 with 10 years driving experience. Now its jumped to $3900!

There has to be something we could do. Any suggestions?
Call the insurance company in bc yourself. If she was listed as a driver, she had insurance. If she wasn't listed on the policy then she is a new driver, and you're stuck with the bill.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Vinoth
1st Gear Newbie

Second driver often gets viewed as no history ... I have come across this before ... Being a primary on a vehicle is usually required to get lower rates a a result of history
Vinoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
damameke
6th Gear Member

If your wife is not listed as an occasional driver in her dad's policy,(easiest way is to check her dad's policy) she will be classified as new driver;

"Second driver often gets viewed as no history"; depends on your definition of 2nd driver; one car drive any car without insurance provided the car is insured, like by your dad, so he is loaning you his coverage, and by that, you dont have driving history

but if you are a 2nd driver(occasional driver) listed on your dad's policy(that means you pay the premium) then you wil have driving history...so this might not be the OP's case....

to OP; check with hockeyfan27, he might be able to get you cheaper rate...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
daytona
6th Gear Member

One word for high insurance..."Brampistan".........
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinoth View Post
Second driver often gets viewed as no history ... I have come across this before ... Being a primary on a vehicle is usually required to get lower rates a a result of history
I am looking at my insurance experience letter right now which clearly states that I was an occasional driver for 6 years.

and yes, our resident insurance broker will chime in shortly i'm sure.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
One word for high insurance..."Brampistan".........
I actually have a house in orangeville and that's the address I'm using. I don't even want to see what it would be like in Brampton.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Hey Kal - My wife's from BC as well (remember?)

Anyhoo - We had to go through the same crap when we got married in 2002. Her letter DID state she had been an occasional driver, she had never had a car with her as the primary. I would call ICBC yourself and see what's up.

Congrats by the way brotha :-)

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Experience letters are kind of the be-all and end-all in the insurance world. When I check someones insurance history and it doesn't say what they think it should, we have them request a letter from the company who reported the questionable information to verify the details of the discrepancy.

If the ICBC says she wasn't a listed driver, her only hope of successfully arguing otherwise is if she can provide a copy of the policy declaration pages that specifically show her as a listed driver. The argument would then be made with ICBC, their experience letter would have to be revised then the rate could be adjusted.

I've run into this a few hundred times. I can count on my thumbs how many times it was an error/omission. Usually, I find it was the parents who don't report their kids as drivers as they fear the increased cost. (which is especially ironic with occasional female drivers as, in Ontario at least, most companies don't/didn't even charge a penny for them to be listed as driver).

Good news is that there are a few companies who will rate based on your wife's licence duration, however many will only do it once there is a few months of insurance experience in Ontario under her belt. Your agent should be able to help you make a plan going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
I actually have a house in orangeville and that's the address I'm using. I don't even want to see what it would be like in Brampton.
From this I infer that you actually live in Brampton and will be saying you live in Orangeville. If that isn't the case then please pardon my assumption. This is what is call misrepresentation. It is the foundation that the denial of a claim will be based on.

It would already appear that not giving an insurance company the proper information may be costing you more money now, if that is in fact why your wife isn't showing as ever being listed on a policy in BC. Why would you risk going down that road again?

All it takes to destroy your insurance record for the next 5 years is some punk kid who vandalizes every car on your street, including yours and your wife's.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I heard the "if your a second driver you don't get experience as a primary driver" as well. Best thing to do is bring your insurance company some driver training papers to bring it down and well since your now married if you both get life insurance it will bring down the cost as well.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I heard the "if your a second driver you don't get experience as a primary driver" as well. Best thing to do is bring your insurance company some driver training papers to bring it down and well since your now married if you both get life insurance it will bring down the cost as well.
In my experience, as long as you are listed on a policy as a driver; primary, secondary, or occasional, you will receive credit for that experience, provided you can prove it. I know that some insurance companies do not report the secondary or occasional drivers to the insurance history database, just the named insured or primary driver. (I have a few theories as to why, but I'll save you all a rant) So when an insurance history search is done, nothing shows up for your prior experience. Without the letter of experience from your prior company, you won't get the credit due to you. I often have to encourage people to go through the effort of getting that letter, many just give up and ask how much more without it. Brokers used to be able to do this on your behalf before the new privacy regulations came in to play.

Not many companies offer additional discounts for tying in your life insurance, but I guess a few of the banks may.

The biggest discounts are realized when you have 2 or more cars with the same company and your property insurance (tenant, condo or house) in the mix as well.

Unfortunately, drivers training doesn't often cross provincial lines. Ontario has a lengthy process and most insurance companies don't offer the graduated licence discounts unless you completed every step in the system. As an example: if you were fast tracked through your G1 due to driving experience in another country. No discount. (maybe training, but not Graduated licence)

Previously, being married only had an effect if you were under 25 and male. There is some new discussion with respect to "individualized rating" and if this will weigh in. No clear answer on that yet.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: