Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

oh yeah add a lincoln mark 8 to my list of previous cars owned, what a pos that thing was, lots of low end power though....

OEM Style 313
E46PauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
hamant
2nd Gear Member

mis fire? wow

i dont know how long they last, but they're super easy to test, just take off the cover and test each one individually, i can't remember the resistence they should produce, but look online there is a DIY somewhere

it literally takes under 1 hour to test all of them and replace them if need be

and yes your 2004 will throw a code if the coilpack is bad IIRC
hamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
DYMO
JDM soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46PauL View Post
hey guys ok i just checked my oil jug and it says bmw LL-04, i think i read somewhere on this site that the grade should be good? just wanna confirm....

i see alot of guys bithcing on this site about thermostat repalcing and water pump replacing, but looking at the interval this lil bit of maintenance is nothing compared to japs or even doemstics. ive seen a dodge pos nitro get its water pump changed at 12000 km, and toyotas on average have to replace at 60-80xxx kms. the parts on the bimmer are overbuilt, and im not sure why guys bithc about maintenance cars arent bullet proof, wtf?

screw fuel economy i buy cars to enjoy them, which i do.

how long do coil packs last on these rides, on average? i have a really strange misfire only on first start up when engine is cold, car bogs for a split second and then goes away, like a maf sensor or bad coil pack. no stored codes, i would imagine it would throw a code, right?

u guys suggest an in fuel tank injector cleaner or hook up the machine directly to rails?

thanks again!!

PauL

about the bitching - im not sure how of those member do their own work, but i work at a garage and had to deal with my fair share of both japanese and german cars. you hit it on the nail about german cars being over-built. This is a good thing in terms of parts lasting a long time... but it also makes things that much more difficult to fix/replace once those parts finally do go.

today for example, we had a VW Passat in to change one of it's flex pipes. the entire exhaust is made of stainless steel, which makes it super durable... but it also took us 30 minutes and 4 sawzall blades (of the highest grade, the stuff firefighters use) to cut out that flexpipe.

that's where the bitching probably comes in. That, and the fact that german car parts tend to be more expensive and generally harder to get than japanese cars. we spend alot of time waiting for replacement parts, and on newer Euro, the parts are usually OEM/dealer items, not aftermarket. Alot of jap parts are over the counter, and lots of aftermarket(cheaper) alternatives.
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

hey guys, sorry for the super late reply lol!!! Lots has changed since last I popped in...

I believe the misfire was an o2 sensor, replaced it and the car runs much better. Thanks for all the advice though, I have to log onto here more often!!

Got a question about my 19" and fuel economy. Seems like I am suffering, or is it that my speed sensor is not reading correctly? I tested my speedo with a friend at up to 60km/ hr, and we were bang on. My L/100 km went down to 10.9, It was at 11 previous to installing the 19s. Was thinking the initial inertia to rotate the larger/ heavier diameter rim, may be the cause of extra fuel usage? Its not a huge difference, and I am in no way complaining, I just like to stay on top of fuel consumption, if the car is drinking like a pig there is usually something greater causing the problem...

thanks for the advice in advance

PauL

OEM Style 313
Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

oh and btw I tried using Lucas upper cylinder/ fuel injector cleaner, and I had to replace my o2 sensor shortly after. Im not saying its bad, because I had great success with that stuff in my other cars, may just have been a coincidence. Just thought I'd share

OEM Style 313

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: