Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #76
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Some more progress, I finished up changing all the brakes this afternoon. While I was in the back I swapped the shocks and springs for some better condition stuff I had lying around. I didn't tackle the front shocks and springs because the housings are pretty rusty and will most likely be a bitch to take apart. Instead I sourced a better condition set of strut housings to build with the shocks and springs I have and then swap them over. While I was in the back I also patched up a hole in the wheel well that a mouse kept going into and making nests in my trunk...

Pics:

Old rusted shock that wouldn't even rebound when I compressed it...

Sweet hole in wheel well and rotted overflow return cover...

Patched the hole with fibre glass and sprayed on some undercoat

All back together with a slightly less rusted overflow return cover that doesn't fit properly and is held on by 3 out of 8 plastic nuts that use to be there... solid as a rock!

Took it for a quick rip once I got it back together, I didn't have the laptop with me to log it, but I noticed that when I was doing pulls at higher rpm I must have been getting some sort of tach loss, it didn't seem to make the car stumble at all, but I noticed that the needle on the tach was bouncing ( i.e. I'd be at 5000 rpm and it'd bounce from 5000 to 4000 and back). One other weird thing that happened is that the car just shut off while I was driving lol. I think it might have something to do with how my wideband is wired into the relay.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 11-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #77
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

So the green monsters were delivered today. I installed them this afternoon, I adjusted the req_fuel in tunerstudio and scaled the VE map accordingly. I also loaded a more aggressive timing map I made up. By this point it was almost dark and the cluster lights and head lights on the car don't currently work so I took the car for a quick rip... she pulls pretty good and the injector pulsewidth isn't infinity anymore to get enough fuel when in boost lol

The timing map I got off of a guy with a similar set-up but I pulled 5 degrees off his numbers just to be safe, but it's good to know that I still have some head room
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #78
DIY
Permanently Dirty

That's awesome! Sounds like its coming along nicely

Maybe I missed it but what are your goals for this? Ie how much boost/Hp are you looking to run/are running now? Track use only car? Are you using boost control in the MS?
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #79
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
That's awesome! Sounds like its coming along nicely

Maybe I missed it but what are your goals for this? Ie how much boost/Hp are you looking to run/are running now? Track use only car? Are you using boost control in the MS?
I'm not using electronic boost control, but I am using an overboost fuel cut for protection. The built in waste gate seems to have a 10psi spring so for now I'll tune for that. The guy I pulled the timing map from had an M20B25 with an HX35 running 10psi and he made ~280rwhp. My turbo is smaller but the motor is an M20B27 so I'd be happy with ~250rwhp

Next year I'm going to pull the head and install an ARP stud kit and possibly get the water jackets welded then up the boost which will end up driving me to get a new clutch lol. I'm not planning to track this car, it'll just be a fun street car. Goal for next year is 300+rwhp.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #80
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Well now that I've pulled the car out of storage I'm starting to work on it during the time that I can't work on my stroker motor. Last year I had a goal for this year of 300+rwhp however that was before I decided to dive into this stroker project. Seeing as that project is sucking up a good amount of money, my goal for this car for now is to just get it all buttoned up, insured and on the road so that once I'm done building my motor I can pull the other car off the road and start working on the swap.

Working towards getting the car on the road, yesterday I swapped in some less weathered front suspension bits. This is the stuff I pulled from my car when I installed the GC coilovers plus another set of housings I bought...

And this is what it replaced...

Now that I've got the breaks and suspension more or less done I just have to clean up the car and do a bit of wiring and it should be good to go. Then of course I have to tune it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #81
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

So now that I have a registered version of tunerstudio I drove around for about 20min this evening and went through several iterations of allowing VEAL to smooth out my fuel table. The car showed a major improvement in the driveability. The table will still need some manual smoothing done to it but I am very impressed with how well the car drives now and how quick and simple it was to tune it. However, when I was a few km from home my exhaust suddenly got a lot louder while doing a pull. A quick look under the car showed that the exhaust clamp right after the downpipe came loose and the exhaust separated leaving me with a fairly short straight pipe lol.

I decided to take a short video of what it sounded like before I fixed it... and yes my low beams need some serious adjustment... turn it up!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #82
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

you should put this turbo on your 2.8 stroke

looks bloody awesome dude brooo
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #83
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
you should put this turbo on your 2.8 stroke

looks bloody awesome dude brooo
I wouldn't put this turbo on the 2.8, the manifold and turbo are ebay junk. The 2.8 is going to be sitting around 9.8:1 compression so if/when I get bored of driving it n/a I'll probably end up doing a custom, low boost (8-9psi) vortex/paxton/rotrex supercharger set-up on it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #84
Denny
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I wouldn't put this turbo on the 2.8, the manifold and turbo are ebay junk. The 2.8 is going to be sitting around 9.8:1 compression so if/when I get bored of driving it n/a I'll probably end up doing a custom, low boost (8-9psi) vortex/paxton/rotrex supercharger set-up on it.
I would not mind using that manifold and turbo to start building the turbo side on my twincharge system. Forget the centrifugal.. I was dissapointed when I installed a 4000$ Active Rotrex on my E46 rotrex what you want is a Roots type I just so happen to have a M90 from a 3.8L thunderbird..

...you up for the challenge? It wont be easy..but I know your capable of doing it. I'm having some serious fun with my Supercharged M20 right now!! even at low boost its quite impressive and I still got some tuning to do on it.
2006 BMW 330i 6-speed black SOLD
2001 BMW X5 4.4 - Auto - black on black - SOLD
1989 BMW 535i - 5-speed - black -SOLD (kept M30B35/tranny for E30)

1985 BMW 325 E 5-speed (new project)
1987 BMW 325 5-speed - work in progress
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/
Part 2 (Supercharger/turbo build)
http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #85
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I would not mind using that manifold and turbo to start building the turbo side on my twincharge system. Forget the centrifugal.. I was dissapointed when I installed a 4000$ Active Rotrex on my E46 rotrex what you want is a Roots type I just so happen to have a M90 from a 3.8L thunderbird..

...you up for the challenge? It wont be easy..but I know your capable of doing it. I'm having some serious fun with my Supercharged M20 right now!! even at low boost its quite impressive and I still got some tuning to do on it.
I agree that positive displacement is the way to go. I like centrifugal because in my mind I feel like it will be easier to package lol, but if I were to go with a positive displacement style unit I'd probably go for a twin screw over a roots type.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #86
Denny
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I agree that positive displacement is the way to go. I like centrifugal because in my mind I feel like it will be easier to package lol, but if I were to go with a positive displacement style unit I'd probably go for a twin screw over a roots type.
me too just dont have the money,..
2006 BMW 330i 6-speed black SOLD
2001 BMW X5 4.4 - Auto - black on black - SOLD
1989 BMW 535i - 5-speed - black -SOLD (kept M30B35/tranny for E30)

1985 BMW 325 E 5-speed (new project)
1987 BMW 325 5-speed - work in progress
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/
Part 2 (Supercharger/turbo build)
http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: