Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
M_DREI
M_DREI

Send a message via MSN to M_DREI
E30 M3 Yellow Fog Lights

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this so I got a few questions regarding the fog lights:

First off, what was the wattage of the original bulbs? If I get 50W H3 bulbs, will I need to beef up the fuse? If so, by how much?

Secondly, for yellow fogs, what combination is best: just yellow bulb, yellow bulb + yellow lens, or simply regular bulb with yellow lens or coat?

Thanks,
M_DREI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
North
2nd Gear Member

I don't think its possible (without considerable effort) to even find a H3 bulb under 55w. For that, stock wiring is more than fine.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

get yellow h3 bulbs. Done.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
yellow h3 bulbs in combination of this film..

http://elefantsupply.com/?page_id=59...roduct=5753706

will give you the look you want, with the fogs both on or off. if you want just the yellow lighting then stick with just the "hyper yellow" bulbs, i recommend PIAA or NOKYA bulbs, but any will do. Or If you wanna go all out you can HID your fogs.
I got my films from those guys for both my highbeams and fogs and if you apply them properly they will pass for real french lights, mine have lol

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

when i had yellow fogs, i just went for hid bulbs, 3k , no film, That way they looked stock off.

Aren t real french lights yellow bulb only, i ve yet to see yellow lenses in france from oem
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
///Maluco
5erholic

^^^I've seen lenses that are yellow and use standard white bulbs for France applications. Mercedes-Benz also had unique lenses that were yellow too. Porsche had them too.

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Maluco View Post
^^^I've seen lenses that are yellow and use standard white bulbs for France applications. Mercedes-Benz also had unique lenses that were yellow too. Porsche had them too.
Those were different too though, they had a yellow lense inside the light, the outside was still clear , which is why I don't like laminex in yellow, since it makes the outside glass yellow, not a special trick lense inside like the real french lights , no?

Last edited by 5style; 12-15-2011 at 01:04 PM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

pics for reference. the exterior lense is clear. This style I adore. The modern laminex or painted over style not so much
Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

This gives me an idea!

E30 m3 owner, I know how you should do it for a oem look. Go buy a can of duplicolor metalcast in yellow ( I did this before on my e28, works great)

Take out your fogs, and disassemble them. I am guessing they are like the oem e30 fogs, so they have a projector lense?

Paint the projector lense ONLY with yellow duplicolor metalcast paint. Reassemble

Oem yellow fog look, with clear lense, yellow trick lense inside, and normal clear bulbs.

Profit??
Old 12-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #10
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
when i had yellow fogs, i just went for hid bulbs, 3k , no film, That way they looked stock off.

Aren t real french lights yellow bulb only, i ve yet to see yellow lenses in france from oem
i always thought french lights (for e30s atleast) were yellow lenses like so,

but it seems like you're right about that, real french lights use yellow reflectors on the inside and clear lenses on the outside, i guess theres a big difference between "french lights" and "french STYLE lights" lol

as for you M_DREI if you want to go the real french route, i stumbled upon this while doin some research, thought it may interest you
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw-...e23-p2524.aspx, but if you dont want to spend that type of money on fogs, then you should either go the film route and/or some yellow bulbs, or maybe try to custom make them with vht yellow coating like 5style suggested.

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
M_DREI
M_DREI

Send a message via MSN to M_DREI
re: yellow fog lights

thanks everyone! Thanks for the vacmotor link. I had seen it before, but it was a bit pricey.

On http://abrahamsmotorsport.com/e30.html they're selling the oem French smileys...but check out the price! The other cool thing I saw there, which I hadn't seen before are the euro bumper trim inserts that cover the turn signals...

For now, I've decided to go with the yellow bulbs first. Afterwards, I'll see how it looks with the film. I'll let you guys know and post some pics.

Cheers,
M_DREI is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: