Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Nolimit77
2nd Gear Member

E36 Clutch issues(so I think) during recent track event

Hi guys, figured this mist be a more suitable place rather than the "tech" section as most of you have tracked you cars at some point or another.

The Problem:

My car is a 1996 E36 328i and during my first event(Sigma TA) with the car, and more specifically my first run, I had a major clutch issue. Near the end of my second hot lap, I attempted to shift into third when it refused to do so - actually it wouldn't go into any gear so I coasted to a stop off track. Once stopped, the cabin and front end of the car was smoking pretty bad with a ditinct burning clutch armoma. What I found weird was that I had pedal pressure during this time but pbviously it just refused to get into gear.

Once back to the pits I decided to let the car cool down to see if the clutch would become operational once again and sure enough it did. I then went for a drive into town to test it out and all seemed fine - no slipping or clutch related problems. After that thorough test I decided to take the car back out on track and sure enough, at about the same time (2nd hot lap) the problem came back, but thankfully this time I felt it was happening and was able to keep it in gear and drive back to the pits. Again, the smell of clutch was there. The most strange thing about the second time it happened was that there was NO slipping- it felt as if I shifted into 5th gear from 2nd. It just bogged down as if it was a motor problem but the car drove back to the pits under its own power and seemed absolutely fine.

When this problem first arrose, I thought for sure it was the clutch but to be honest I am no longer sure as a damaged clutch usually slips really bad, not bog down. I know for sure it has nothing to do with how I was shifting as I have been using the heel/toe technique for a few years now during down shifts in any car and I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT power shift. On my last three attempts at making runs, I was even more cautious and shifted like a granny, but no such luck - the problem would return every time.

Only positive thing for me during the day was cracking off a 1:25.9 without ever having been to TMP before and it was my first track event for ME and the car(competed in 50 autocross events over the past two seasons). Unfortunately, as a result of my problems, I only logged a total of 6 hot laps(on 6 seperate runs) so I know the car has ALLOT more in it - I just need it to run more than 1 hot lap at a time so I can put some laps together.

Below is information on the car that might help.

1996 E36 328i
AASCO Motorsports 10lb flywheel
Bully clutch
3.15 LSD
CDV recently deleted(shifts much smoother now)
Stoptech 332MM brake kit(new RB rotors)
Hawk DTC60 pads F/R
Turner brake cooling ducts
New fluids througout(except the tranny)

** Note: I have been having some electronic issues with my climate control. Sometimes it will randomly shut off and as a result my revs would hang during shifts. On my first run, it was off and before I got on track, I attempted to get it back on with but couldn't. I feel as if this might have had a part in this problem but I cannot be sure. Thoughts? **

The car will be going to a shop as this is a bit much for me to do by myself in my underground. I just want to hear what some of you thought before I did take it in.

Thanks in advance!
Nolimit77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: