Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
mike12
1st Gear Newbie

Need Help - Body/paint shops in GTA?

Hey,

I was driving my e46 m3 and slid into a ditch because of weather, gravel/debris on the road and poor lighting....

Anyways I will be in need of a new passenger door, passenger front and rear fenders and a new front bumper. I also need a new front passenger control arm, ball joint and wheel hub. The drivetrain is fine and the car is driveable besides the one wheel hub issue.

The tricky thing is my car is an individual series car so I'm not even sure how to go about finding someone that can paint this colour - is it an issue or no big deal?

I don't think I will be going through insurance because I'm in my early 20s and the increase in the premium (even though my record is otherwise clean) would likely be more than the repairs itself (which I'm guessing are going to be around $4-7k).

What I'd like to know from you all is:
1. Do you know where I can obtain these used body panels?
2. Do you know of a good body/paint shop that can do this job properly?
3. How much do you think a decent repair of this kind will be? I know the price difference would be much different if I did this at a dealer but I'm counting on there being some competent and more affordable independent shops around.

Thanks in advance for your help - never been in this position before and I can really use it.
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Honestly, if you want it done right (paint especially) you may have to bite the bullet and go through insurance on this one. Check the terms and deductible of your policy. From what you describe there was no collision with another car, and you may have other features such as 1st accident forgiveness.

Even at some of the best u-pick junkyards in Ontario, I've yet to come across any decent E46's let alone M3's. You'd most likely have to buy the parts individually from a place such as this (check his ads): http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOt...serIdZ50398973

Paint will be the problem, and will most likely cost close to, if not more than the parts themselves.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
mike12
1st Gear Newbie

Hmm yeah I know I might have to consider that.

Do you know if the rear fender (not rear bumper) and door are m3 specific? I think that might be a good place to save some money.

Any place you'd recommend/seen/had good paintwork? And I'm sure a decent shop can match an individual Colour, it's just a paint code right?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Honestly, if you want it done right (paint especially) you may have to bite the bullet and go through insurance on this one. Check the terms and deductible of your policy. From what you describe there was no collision with another car, and you may have other features such as 1st accident forgiveness.

Even at some of the best u-pick junkyards in Ontario, I've yet to come across any decent E46's let alone M3's. You'd most likely have to buy the parts individually from a place such as this (check his ads): http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOt...serIdZ50398973

Paint will be the problem, and will most likely cost close to, if not more than the parts themselves.
Generally, most single vehicle accident (aside from wildlife collisions) would be considered the drivers fault. Most drivers in their early 20's haven't been licenced long enough to qualify for accident forgiveness. (typically 5 or 6 years accident free).

As long as you didn't hit any municipal property (guard rails, signs, lights etc...) and there are no injuries, paying out of your own pocket may likely be less expensive then the increased policy cost over the next 4-5 years. (Even @ $7K in damages).

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12 View Post
Hmm yeah I know I might have to consider that.

Do you know if the rear fender (not rear bumper) and door are m3 specific? I think that might be a good place to save some money.

Any place you'd recommend/seen/had good paintwork? And I'm sure a decent shop can match an individual Colour, it's just a paint code right?

Thanks again for the input.
I haven't looked into the parts themselves, but go to RealOEM.com and compare the part numbers for a 330ci and M3.

Good paintwork again depends on how much you're willing to spend, how well the shop will prep the body panels, how well they can blend the fresh paint with the rest of the aged paintwork, etc. Your budget and shop choice ultimately decides the end result. One place I would definitely stay far away from is Macco, I have had nothing but bad experience with them in the past. John's Unique Auto Body I have heard good things about.

I know the insurance route can be a bit difficult to go through with, but you'll be paying for the repair one way or another (short term/long term).
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
mike12
1st Gear Newbie

Well said guys. I'm going to compare part numbers, have another look at the car today in the daylight and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: