Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Another Style 5 Refinishing Project.

Although I'm sure there has been many of these, I thought I would share what I started over the weekend. I picked up 4 very sad looking BBS Style 5's last season in need of some love, and finally got around to starting this weekend.

They were pretty dirty, and the clear coat was peeling badly so first thing I did was separate them and strip them down. There are many tutorials on how to do this with many different methods.

The centers were still in pretty good shape.

The bolts had a combination of oxidization, loctite, brake dust, and dirt on them. I used CLR and an old tooth brush to clean them up and ended up making a high school science project style volcano...

After a lot of scrubbing they came out pretty clean. But they will also get stripped down and polished a little later.

I started work on the barrels over saturday. I focused on the two with the most issues as I quickly realized just how time consuming this process can be. I spent a solid 5 hours on the first two. But then again I can be kind of a perfectionist. I was lucky there was very little in the way of curb rash, but there was some minor pitting and slight oxidization in some areas. The camera didn’t really pick up the oxidization, but it was easier to see before I stripped the clear coat off of them.

Here they are ready to start the prepping process.

I took pictures of some of the problems areas to compare before and after.

Last edited by Discostar; 05-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

For the sanding process, I started with a dry sand using 400grit, and then worked my way up to a 2000grit wet sand. I used 600 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000, but that was really unnecessary. You could go from 400dry to 1000wet to 2000wet and it will do the same (which is what I ended up doing the second time).

Here is what it looked like after the first round of 400dry to clean the surface.

Here it is after the wet sanding was complete with 2000grit.

Here they are side by side so you can see the difference. The 400dry on the right and the 2000wet on the left. You can already start to see the shine a little after the wet sanding was done. I was almost tempted to leave them with a satin finish because it looked so good.

Last edited by Discostar; 05-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

I stopped by princess auto and picked up a 24pc polishing kit and 4 different polishing compounds. Since I was anxious to see how they would work I left the remaining two wheels and started with the course polish on the wet sanded wheel. It actually turned out pretty damn nice for a first pass. Still needs more work, and I haven’t even started with the medium and fine compounds...

After/Before..

Ill keep you guys updated on the progress.

Last edited by Discostar; 05-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Steve30
Techno Viking

are you sanding them in a cross-hatch pattern? or just a straight line? I think the cross-hatch will lead to better results in the end.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
CBimmer
2nd Gear Member

Nyce I Wouldn't Mind Trying This With My Style 42's If/When I Get Time LoL.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

IMO 400 grid way too high to take off all the machine marks (lines) that visible once the clear coat is off...In order to get that mirror smooth finish, i think you have to start lower (180/220)...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
are you sanding them in a cross-hatch pattern? or just a straight line? I think the cross-hatch will lead to better results in the end.
I have seen both methods and from what I understand, you want the small even directional ridges to grind off and smooth out. I was under the impression cross hatching takes that away and make it harder to achieve. But where did you get that info from? Seems some people do it, other say donít.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
IMO 400 grid way too high to take off all the machine marks (lines) that visible once the clear coat is off...In order to get that mirror smooth finish, i think you have to start lower (180/220)...
I guess thatís what those super fine radial lines are. They were visible after the course polish. Looks like they are part of the metal because the surface is still just as smooth as the lip. I'll give 220 a shot on the last two and see if that works better. Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Steve30
Techno Viking

There was a thread on bimmerforums. It showed the final product and it was mirror finish using the cross hatch method. It might be a little extra work but way worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: