Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Clutch or tranny issues?

Alright so i fixed all my previous issues if you've seen my post. Replaced a worn out bushing off my shifter plate and now everythings back together and working. Before i took it apart i couldn't get it in reverse, first, and it grinded going in second. So i took the guibo cover off and that fixed the grinding and reverse issues.

On a cold start the car seems to shift decent. You still have to pull it pretty hard into second but it does go. Then as i drive it for a while it gets harder to get into reverse, first and second.

Also if i accelerate high in second and sometimes first then engage the clutch it doesn't seem to go. Just kinda holds its rpms till i pull it into neutral. This car is becoming less fun to drive as i get further into it.

Any help would be awesome.

BTW it has a B and M "rep" ss kit.
subarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

No joke man, but change the gearbox oil. Sounds like, the oil you have in in the gearbox now is too heavy. The oil type greatly affects the shifting and operation of the gear syncros.
mr ilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Not the tranny fluid? Also sitting still i revved it high with the clutch in (in first) and a second after it jumped forward.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
fiasco
1st Gear Newbie

bleed the clutch slave cylinder. if that doesn't work put a new transmission, i think your gears inside the transmission is worn out.
fiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
Not the tranny fluid? Also sitting still i revved it high with the clutch in (in first) and a second after it jumped forward.
The fluid inside the tranny needs to be changed to something proper. And, while you're there, also have mechanic to check your clutch.
mr ilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
No joke man, but change the gearbox oil. Sounds like, the oil you have in in the gearbox now is too heavy. The oil type greatly affects the shifting and operation of the gear syncros.
I doubt that. He says it shifts decent on cold, than warms the fluid and it shifts worse. When the fluid warms up it's becomes thinner, therefore it's supposed to go in gears easier not harder. Common problem on most bmw's, 2nd gear goes in hard on cold.

IMO: You have an issue in the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch area. Don't know to be exact. As for your short shift kit, if it's too short and you have it for a while, you probably worn your syncros abit by now.

1. Check your slave, bleed if needed.
2. If slave is good, take the transmission off and check clutch assembly.
3. If clutch is fine, look for a gearbox.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Slave is leaking and it almost looks like the tranny is leaking in 2 spots (both seals). So im buying a used tranny next week and ill do the seals on it before its in. Anything else i should do when im down there and every things out?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
Anything else i should do when im down there and every things out?
slave, clutch hose, tranny fluid, guibo, CSB, mounts, clutch/PP/flywheel, input shaft seal, TO bearing, pivot pin/clip.... Prolly more lol any/all of the above if needed

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: