Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

Thoughts on BBK's

Hi guys, my brakes are due for replacement and I need pads and rotors so I am thinking about upgrading to a better braking system. My car is an E46 330ci zhp. I have heard of guys using the M3 competition package (at least on the front) which I am told requires switching to M3 control arms as well so they can be mounted. Another option is just an aftermarket big brake kit. I know there are a lot of kits out there so what is good bang for my buck and roughly how much should I be prepared to spend on parts? I would really rather go with the M3 conversion or brembo BBK

I figure most of my stopping power comes from the front so I will probably only be upgrading the fronts and just stick with oe in the back unless you guys tell me my brakes will be too unbalanced and upgrading the rears is critical.

I should mention my wheels are the original dimensions as equipped on my car 18x8 and 18x8.5

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

Are you tracking your car and running out of brakes? If not, bbk are mostly for looks and are $$$.
OEM brakes are pretty decent and most people who track just upgrade their pads, rotors and fluid.
What are you using your car for? Autocross? HPDE? Racing? Just street?
What's your budget?

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

I have never done a track day in a car yet but I do plan on trying it out this year. Seeing as it is time to replace my brakes anyway, I don't want to just replace with oem and then end up regretting not upgrading them first time around. I did do a quick search on ebay and wow- they are quite expensive! I don't really know what I want to budget, for just front Brembo kits I see them ranging from around $3300 up to $5k+! which is really getting up there..

First thing I need to know is if upgrading only the fronts is logical or if rears should be upgraded accordingly? I definitely won't be spending $10g's on brakes.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
jabela
4th Gear Member

Some people only go BBK on the front to save money. The idea is that the E46 has excess rear braking power, but the ABS deals with it. So yes, you would probably be okay with only going BBK on the front.
If really want BBK and you want to save some money, you can look for a used BBK as they're typically around 50% less than new.
I would still recommend staying closer to stock. I track and autocross pretty hard, and my stock 325 brakes haven't failed me. All I've done is upgrade the pads to axxis ultimates, though I may go more agressive on my next set of pads. Stock blank rotors have served me well. Your 330 ZHP brakes are much bigger than mine.
What would be a nice upgrade is some rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, and even brake cooling ducts.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-53...30si-pair.aspx
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...4-z4-30si.aspx
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-39...ng-plates.aspx
http://a.imageshack.us/img687/7640/h...comparison.png

Also, don't forget that driver/track education is extremely helpful.
BWM Trillium puts on great events that you can write off on your taxes.
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/a...river-training

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Although a bbk isn't the most useful mod you can do to a street car, it is more useful than m3 bumpers and mirrors (on a non-m) and can cost less. In all honesty, what mod is useful on a street car? Does anyone really NEED to corner at 70, or add 100hp with boost? Mods aren't useful for the street, they are fun though. Not to mention, if you need to replace your brakes anyway, then the upgrade price isn't quite as severe. If all other maintenance is taken care of on your car, and you have the cash to burn, I say why not.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Stay stock. You're just throwing money away getting a BBK unless you're looking to shave 0.1 off your laptimes

Try a different pad?

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

oem or good quality rotors with upgraded or just OEM pads, your brakes are only as good as your tires..... buy the best tires you can afford!!!

I would never recommend someone running upgraded brakes till they were taught the limits and how to actually brake, BBK are money wasted and just bling for the street driven car
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

They're strictly for looks for 99.99% of enthusiasts.

As for using OEM M3 front setup, we tried that on my car but it didn't work. Something about how the M3 control arm not mounting to the knuckle? I can't remember. Maybe someone more technical can chime in for me.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
your brakes are only as good as your tires..... buy the best tires you can afford!!!
Best advice you're going to get. The only part of your car that actually makes contact with the road are the tires.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
BimmerBoys
3rd Gear Member

All talk aside... They are better than stock and many feel they look better. Realy depends on priorities. You can do A LOT to a car for 4000$ that a bbk would cost you! I'd rather supercharge for that money! Vvvrrroooooom
BimmerBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

They definitely look better, but buying them used will cost less than half of $4g's. Didn't you just pick up front and rears for $1800 from the classified here?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
BimmerBoys
3rd Gear Member

Nazdar Rene!

Yes, I'll probably grab them... But they are for dedicated track car, and I like to stomp on the brakes

My buddy is going to inspect them tonight. If all is good I'll get them.

These brakes are just about the last thing in a long long line of upgrades done to the car... So if I only had a few grand to spend, I'd look for power mods or suspension mods first.
BimmerBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Vitaj.

I had no idea it was you that started BimmerBoys, bitchin.

As for the bbk, they can be had for reasonably cheap if you take into account the cost of stock replacement parts, and how much a persons stock brakes can be sold for. Mine for example came out costing me nothing. I got brembo calipers with pads and floating rotors for $700, sold my stock brakes for $200, made brackets at work for free (technically I got paid to make the brackets) and the cost of replacing the stock parts and powder coating the stock calipers so they're on par aesthetically with brembos more than outweigh the $500 difference. The only problem thus far is the pads dust like crazy, even OEM pagids aren't this bad.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
They're strictly for looks for 99.99% of enthusiasts.

As for using OEM M3 front setup, we tried that on my car but it didn't work. Something about how the M3 control arm not mounting to the knuckle? I can't remember. Maybe someone more technical can chime in for me.
Not the same ball joint! You need to replace control arm and spindle to get M3brakes...Along with a few other things...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #15
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

The brakes will only be as good as your tires and the rest of the suspension.

A BBK will only increase the amount of time you have before your braking loses efficiency due to heat build up. That will only happen when you're tracking the car pretty aggressively.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: