Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
ShawnS
1st Gear Newbie

Need some help!Noob here

Hey guys, My name is Shawn and I think Im becoming a BMW-aholic.

Thanks to a good friend of mine, who is a car dealer,he has been letting me take some of the BMW's on the lot for the night and the occasional weekend. Now I have the BMW fever and the only cure for this aint no cow bell.

In the fall Im looking to get into a E-30. Late 80's early 90's. Body style on them is so sick.
My questionn is what is the difference between the 325i and the 318i?
My plan is to eventually mod it, exterior/interior and with the possibility of a engine swap to a newer m3.
What are some of the pros and cons to each?

Any and all help is appreciated.
ShawnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
c-bass
Bajador De Panti

Difference between 318 and 325 is the size of the engine.

The general opinion seems to be that the fun factor between the two is quite noticeable and driving the 318 you will be wanting more power soon.

I started my BMW habit with a '97 328i....but it's an auto

What can I say, it was priced right
c-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
cormier
6th Gear Member

325 is a bit more powerful, but really what you want is a clean body and all around good condition... Make motor your minimal deciding factor

There's a few awesome e30 examples for sale here, how much you looking to spend?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
ShawnS
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up guys.
I have noticed alot more 325's then 318's and aftermarket parts for the body was a concern.
Im looking to spend a few grand, but am in no rush, unless a steal of a deal comes along. I would like to find one safety and cert. I would like to drive it for a bit before I tear it down and rebuild it.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

Get a clean car and as rust-free as you can afford. If it's a 318, then 24v swap! If it's a 325, 24v swap!
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
MBrown
2nd Gear Member

if you're willing to go through the process of importing a car, definitely look into buying one in the States. There are MANY more available, generally in better condition because they see less winter, and are cheaper in most cases.

18x8.5 MK Motorsport MK1's, BavAuto F+R Strut Braces
UUC System U Catback
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Clarissa63
1st Gear Newbie

Clarissa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
ShawnS
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie591 View Post
Get a clean car and as rust-free as you can afford. If it's a 318, then 24v swap! If it's a 325, 24v swap!
The hard part is finding one around here w/minimal rust.I have a buddy who is in the car industry and frequents the auctions so that is one avenue. Debating between a M50B25 or e36 swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
if you're willing to go through the process of importing a car, definitely look into buying one in the States. There are MANY more available, generally in better condition because they see less winter, and are cheaper in most cases.
I am searching about this alot.. Going this route would save me alot of time and cash with a ride that has not been exposed to salt.Reading on the RIV web site. Just have to find us sites with bimmers for sale. Know of any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa63 View Post
Thats a nice start but I dont think I could afford them. I like the projection head light conversion for them. Now thats gangstar.You going to keep it auto or swap?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
MBrown
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnS View Post
I am searching about this alot.. Going this route would save me alot of time and cash with a ride that has not been exposed to salt.Reading on the RIV web site. Just have to find us sites with bimmers for sale. Know of any?
anthing older than 15 years by the build date of the car doesn't need to go through any of the RIV stuff.

check bimmerforums.com, there's usually quite a good selection there, it's where I found my car.

18x8.5 MK Motorsport MK1's, BavAuto F+R Strut Braces
UUC System U Catback
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: