Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member
 
///Lucid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 57
Project: GET THIS VIRGIN BACK ON THE ROAD

So after that past meet and seeing everyone boosted and future chips provided by Bear I got a little excited two days ago and decided to burn out as my buddy was behind me. Not considering at the time I had a +200k old diff I went ahead and popped the clutch at 4.5....Clackk braackkkaakck grrackkkakak. Amazed and heartbroken I threw it in neutral revved all good. Put it into 1st and slowly eased off the clutch. A nice grumble (quite liek marbles in a box) by my driveshaft/ujoint/diff sounded. The car would not go so i'm thinking somewhere around that area (specially diff) catched the bus. So i'll have a buddy toss it on some stands so i can take a closer look. I'm almost positive my diff went so the question that stands: Should I be looking for new or used. What are the price ranges if anyone has purchased any in the past. And any general tips that can help me get my slut back on the road ASAP. Love you long time - Darryl

///Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood
 
MaxBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,357
There's 2 E36s in Kenny U Pull, I'd go there and see if you can grab one from the 318i they have.
__________________
REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
carjoe
6th Gear Member
 
carjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,839
318, 320 share the same diff.
Good luck.
If it helps, Bear can do one in less than an hour. Remove and install. He's dreamy like that.
__________________

93 325is - sold!


2000 540ia- sold!


carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~
 
everlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,847
Bear doesn't even need jackstands. He holds the car up with one hand and throws the diff at the car with the other. Amazing.

edit: to add something useful, definitely go used.
__________________
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 15,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
318, 320 share the same diff.
Good luck.
If it helps, Bear can do one in less than an hour. Remove and install. He's dreamy like that.
That goes for regular E36...None of them would fit on his Ti that uses E30 diff...
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4


Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 15,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lucid View Post
So after that past meet and seeing everyone boosted and future chips provided by Bear I got a little excited two days ago and decided to burn out as my buddy was behind me. Not considering at the time I had a +200k old diff I went ahead and popped the clutch at 4.5....Clackk braackkkaakck grrackkkakak. Amazed and heartbroken I threw it in neutral revved all good. Put it into 1st and slowly eased off the clutch. A nice grumble (quite liek marbles in a box) by my driveshaft/ujoint/diff sounded. The car would not go so i'm thinking somewhere around that area (specially diff) catched the bus. So i'll have a buddy toss it on some stands so i can take a closer look. I'm almost positive my diff went so the question that stands: Should I be looking for new or used. What are the price ranges if anyone has purchased any in the past. And any general tips that can help me get my slut back on the road ASAP. Love you long time - Darryl

Price of new is not cheap at all, look at used...

01 Rmfd final drive I=38:11=3,45-V 1 33101428419 $1,385.90 For vehicles with and without ASC+T
For vehicles with
Differential lock 25%
S209A=Yes
01 Rmfd final drive with differential I=38:11=3,45-V 1 33101214114 $2,163.37
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4


Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
MBrown
2nd Gear Member
 
MBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 148
Ti's have an E30 diff? Do they share any other common components?

Goodluck getting her fixed up, I'd even check bimmerforums and see if someone will ship to Ogdensburg to save on crossborder shipping. I could be wrong but I don't think used auto parts are taxable?
__________________
1995 US-Spec Boston Green M3

18x8.5 MK Motorsport MK1's, BavAuto F+R Strut Braces
UUC System U Catback
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~
 
everlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,847
The whole rear end on the Ti is nearly the same except the hubs have 5 bolt whereas the E30 hubs are 4 bolt. The offset of the hub isn't exactly the same either.

I have a second E30 diff but I plan on using it.. sorry.
__________________
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner
 
bmwconnect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 913
What about the guibo?
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 299
Yea the rear trailing arms+hub assemblies are often used from the ti's for a simple 5-lug conversion for the e30 guys.

I have my dead 4.10 lsd but i'm going to hold onto it for a re-build in the future. Sorry!
__________________
Track - 1991 318is - My Track Car Build
Street - 1987 340i - E30 M60 Build
Chris916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think used auto parts are taxable?
Yea you still have to declare, but you can get whoever is shipping it to throw in a receipt with the package for a smaller amount than you actually paid
__________________
Track - 1991 318is - My Track Car Build
Street - 1987 340i - E30 M60 Build
Chris916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member
 
///Lucid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 57
I'll help clarify some "regular e36 diffs won't fit the Ti. Only ti's fit a Z3, Mcoupe, e24, e28 or e30 diff. The Z3's and Mcoupes came with Torsen LSD 's while the other's came with clutch style LSD's." BUT apparently things are looking up. My buddy who worked at Otto's took a peak and told me that both of my rear axels broke. I'll toss it on some stands and take a closer look. So (fingers crossed) i'll post it up on stands this weekend and keep you boys posted. I also need a left ctrl arm. I'm thinking buying from partsource. F*ck OEM! Rice till I die!!! - Asia

Last edited by ///Lucid; 04-21-2012 at 02:27 AM.
///Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood
 
MaxBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,357
You're in Ottawa? If you swap my LSD into my E30, you can have the open 3.25 that's in there now.
__________________
REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner
 
bmwconnect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lucid View Post
I'll help clarify some "regular e36 diffs won't fit the Ti. Only ti's fit a Z3, Mcoupe, e24, e28 or e30 diff. The Z3's and Mcoupes came with Torsen LSD 's while the other's came with clutch style LSD's." BUT apparently things are looking up. My buddy who worked at Otto's took a peak and told me that both of my rear axels broke. I'll toss it on some stands and take a closer look. So (fingers crossed) i'll post it up on stands this weekend and keep you boys posted. I also need a left ctrl arm. I'm thinking buying from partsource. F*ck OEM! Rice till I die!!! - Asia
How could both rear axles break? I don't trust that diagnosis but sorry to hear of the problem
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~
 
everlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,847
I was thinking the same thing.. maybe torn boots on both axels?

Anyway, just snap some pics and we'll internet-diagnose it.
__________________
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014