Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

E21 unbuild-rebuild

So I've decided to start a build thread about the upcoming e21 track car build.

I've been bouncing the idea around for a while and I finally decided on the e21 for a number of reasons...

1) I already had available to me a very well built 2.7 M20 Stroker motor out of a donor e30. Turbo in the works! As my research has shown putting it in the e21 will require minimal effort… and I like minimal effort.. I’m good at that

2) The initial cost is the lowest out of any 3 series. Aside from a few junked e36’s the e21 can be had in considerably good condition for well under 2000$ and if I’m lucky for under a grand!

3) I like it! The group 5 kicks ass! Which is what I would eventually like to replicate. My father-in-law is a custom metal fabricator in Europe and I plan on getting him a flight over here at exactly the same time I plan on doing body work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (53.0 KB, 122 views)
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Please feel free to add your .02$

thoughts are welcome regarding suspension setups, wheels, brakes... etc.

My initial plans have led me to VEC motorsport. the have a nice selection of e21 junk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VAC-BBK-E21-2-L.JPG (82.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg E21 coilover kit -L.jpg (92.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg ST generic Sway bar set -W.jpg (17.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg ronal_aero_16.jpg (64.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
I like the idea of this project as I've been following your hints in other threads of getting a project going like this... but I have to ask a few questions since its a topic I can relate to, and can probably add some perspective on since I've been there.

First, how much do you have to spend? Understand that ultimately your budget will decide how the car looks. Do you have a timeline in mind? Usually, the quicker it comes together, the more it will cost. 1 year? More? 3-5 years? And lastly, what are your plans for it? I know you mentioned 'track use' but thats somewhat vague... is it track as in to learn to drive fast with aka proper driving schools, or track as in lapping days aka hero days, or track as in race with legit vintage racers?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Not quite Group 5, but thought you might be interested.

Zender E21 skirts and spoiler.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217546
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

The budget is set near 20,000 to 25,000$ at the top. Its actually a team build and the costs will be shared witrh 2 others. The time frame is realistic, 5 year for completion but perhaps on the track in some form by next spring.

As for use... That is split as well. I only do hero days since all I want is ti go fast have fun and not die. The other guys do a lot of competition racing and travel extensively. They currently run an e30 m3 which I'm sorry to say has been guttend and ass-raped. They do events once a week at least, even down south in the winter. I have no intention of driving in any of those types of events but I'll be there holding the water bottles

For me... I just want to build. I'm not overly concerned with track time rather that I can recreate something unique.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultName View Post
Not quite Group 5, but thought you might be interested.

Zender E21 skirts and spoiler.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217546
Hey thanks for the tip! I really like that kit but I think the body work is going to be mostly custom fabbed. Besides I'm scared of people on R3V! They'll just as soon threaten to kill you as sell you something!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
If it were more of a dedicated 'track car' I would tend to shy away from the whole Gr.5 idea as all it does is just make things harder and create more work. Costs on regular consumables start to get out of hand when things get 'bigger'... just tires alone will be more than double in cost over something more 'normal'.

I think its a good idea that you are more interested in the building aspect rather than the track/performance side of it so then you can focus more on the visual things about it... Since you have already chosen a motor platform for it, I guess I won't suggest much more there... aside from 'Think outside the box' when it comes to suspension and driveline. Don't be obligated to stay with E21-based parts...

You mention flying over a metal fabricator. Are you doing the bodywork in metal?! Trust me, you'll definitely want to do it in fiberglass. Cheaper, easier to work with, and relatively easy to get copies made in case you will need extras (and for large front spoilers, thats definitely going to be needed). The actual Gr.5 cars had not much metal left in them... Check out the pic of the Junior Team car I will attach at the end of this post to get an idea of the fenders (or lack thereof). The American-run 320s used by McLaren are even less of a 320 underneath, with some of the cars not even having a front clip/floor/transmission tunnel. Maybe you can get some ideas there as to my 'Think outside the box' hint.

I must again ask you... what are you doing for wheels? Wheels will make or break the look you are going for, have you looked into it? Another thing I may suggest is ask your racing buddies to look into available tires you plan to run and base a wheel size/selection around that. When I looked into it for writing up a list/spreadsheet of everything it would take to make a visually identical replica, the total of rims (getting them casted, machining, finding used wheel sections, and adapters/nuts) totalled to over 8k... Kind of a lot for wheels that just keep the look legit, but not even to the same specs or weight as the originals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7382192.jpg (143.4 KB, 87 views)

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

^^ Carboner. Damn.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: