Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Rear Coil Springs and Shocks pricing??

Hi folks hows it going!! So my head is still spining after the quote i got for changing my 2 rear shocks and 2 rear springs with oem again.

One of my rear springs is broken and on the other side one of rear shocks is slightly bent where the spring sits on. My mechanic says its only a matter of time when it will give out on me.

So my question is anyone fix these 2 items lately and what did it runn you approximately. Found this place online selling used springs oem and used shocks oem. Is that recomended or do i buy new ones?

Any light in this matter would be super! Cheers and thank you very much folks!!!
mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

you take your chances buying used and can run into this again down the road. However, if it is supper cheap in comparison to dealership then you could probably do the job twice and still save compared to the shop rate.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
mint
1st Gear Newbie

What if i buy oem new shocks but get used springs does that work u think? I just hesitent abit on getting used products that affect the quality of the ride. Anyone know any good shops that are reasonably priced??

Cheers
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I just ordered struts/shocks for my car last Friday, it is a Touring with factory sport suspension with SLS so it was hard to get a break with the prices, especially for the rear. I wound up buying the rear shocks from www.Tirerack.com and the front struts from www.rockauto.com , they should be in Niagara Falls this weekend.

BTW Since the Monroe struts were $63/each I'm giving those a try, the rears are Bilstien HDs ($112/each),...the Sports are the same price but too hard for my likin.

Last edited by MLue1; 03-27-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Adding info
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
mint
1st Gear Newbie

MLue1 ya prices seems very reasonable on those sides. Now my next question to you would be how is doing the instal for you, or are you doing this job yourself??

Further more i take it as a rule of thumb if one rear spring is busted, I should change up both of them. Correct??

Last edited by mint; 03-27-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post
MLue1 ya prices seems very reasonable on those sides. Now my next question to you would be how is doing the instal for you, or are you doing this job yourself??
In the past I've used the Superior Tire store in Markham to install struts but this time I'm going to give it a shot myself,...hell I've done everything else why not the spring eh! Actually on the Touring is really easy, the fronts are where I have to use the spring compressors; the air springs in the rear make changing the shocks alot easier, basically disconnect the battery, let some air out on the springs remove shocks and replace, then put things back in the reverse order.

Last edited by MLue1; 03-27-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Correction on the Tire Store, it was Superior Tire
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post
Further more i take it as a rule of thumb if one rear spring is busted, I should change up both of them. Correct??
+1 I agree replace as a set otherwise one side will be higher or stiffer than the other making it impossible to get a proper alignment done. If you have cracked spring, you could purchase a used set from Eurostyle... . Not a plug just a thought.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Good luck MLUE1 i have faith in your buddy!!

Im thinking of going that route and getting a used set. Question though can u really tell just by looking at the springs if they have had ware and tare on them or are you just rolling the dice pretty much?? And futher more how can u tell if the spring is specifically made for your style oem car. Is there like a code or product # on them??
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

With used parts you are always rolling the dice, BMW OEM springs are good quality, if you buy used from a reputable business they usually warranty the part for a peroid of time. If you have a 528 non sport then buy the non sport springs from a car that is similar optioned and visa versa for the sport setup, they should be the same part numbers.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Im thinking of putting on new socks and used springs for my rear. Mine is the Sport suspension. Now my question is alone from just looking at the springs anyway to know if they are in good shape. Or are you just rolling the dice? And secondly How would i KNOW these are exactly for my car. Is there a # printed on them or something perhaps?

Lastly anyone know where to get used ones froma reptuable company at a reasonably price?

Cheers
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Send a PM to Eurostyle on this board.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Asides from Euro Style any other suggestions plz.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: