Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Farintosh
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Bought My First E30! Any Advice? Upgrades?

Hey Everyone!

First off, great community you got here! Well, I just turned 18 and finally decided to take the plunge and by my first car (Bought from K. Vella, great experience, he also told me about these forums :p). An e30 was a natural choice, always loved them and it appears they have an amazing following. On a side not insurance for me was half the price of a 06' Civic... and at 18 I'm ready to drop $6k/year (really expensive here in Markham, Ontario).

I bought a 87' Delphin 325i Convertible Automatic w/ Taurusrot leather seats, and I have to admit, I'm in love

There is a squeaking which I suspect is a timing belt so I've decided to change the timing belt and other components which I don't know the history of (don't want to wait and find out).

I'm extremely new to e30s and cars in general but I'm lucky enough to have a full auto shop as my dad restores antique trucks.

Here's a list of some parts I was planning on ordering from Pelican Parts, I really don't know what I'm getting myself into but I don't mind spending some money on the car. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

-Timing Belt, Tensioner, Spring, Guide pin
-Power Steering Belt
-Alternator Belt
-A/C Belt
-Water Pumper & Gasket (Metal Impeller)
-Thermostat 80 Degree, Gasket, O-ring
-Cam Shaft Seal, Cam Flange O-ring
-Fog Light Lenses

I plan on picking up the standard maintenance parts (Oil Filter, Air Filter etc.) from a local distributor.

I'm really stepping into a new world here and any advice such as important upgrades would mean the world to me. Just one thing, telling me to swap to 5-speed doesn't help much, I live in the country on a farm, but I'm off to university next year where I don't really want to suffer through rush hour in a manual.

Thanks again in advance, seems like you have a great community here!:p

Geoff
Farintosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, delphin, e30, project, taurusrot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: