Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
What are you basing that off of? Remember that the show is meant to be entertaining, and often it's more entertaining to watch people drive like yahoos than to watch them drive properly.

They've got their race licences. If they aren't very good drivers then what does that say about what it takes to get your race license?
With the exception of anything over the International level, you really donít have to be good to get a racing licence. You just need to put down some cash, and put in the time.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discostar View Post
With the exception of anything over the International level, you really donít have to be good to get a racing licence. You just need to put down some cash, and put in the time.
Put in the time... exactly.. You can get good at anything with the time. Thats what most dont have.. And that's what makes one a racer and one not. Cash money, upbrining, devotion.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Put in the time... exactly.. You can get good at anything with the time. Thats what most dont have.. And that's what makes one a racer and one not. Cash money, upbrining, devotion.
I guess it depends on your definition of good. Time and money only get you the opportunity, they dont make you good.

They do however get you a racing licence, which really says as much about your skill as a G road licence does. You can idle around the track at over 3secs off the pace and still get approved for a class C racing licence.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
davericher20
black and blue

Having a racing licence doesn't make you a good driver... I also doubt they have theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
Having a racing licence doesn't make you a good driver... I also doubt they have theirs
Remember when they raced in that 24hr touring car race with that BMW diesel?
I'd have a hard time believing they were allowed to do that without a race licence.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
davericher20
black and blue

I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to get in a race like that with the connections they have
But let's agree to disagree.

And they're still shitty drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Getting a basic race license is incredibly easy. Just takes money. You don't need to be a good driver.

Read up on what is involved in most race schools and you'll understand. For the most part you're in a classroom, and while you are on track you're practicing spatial awareness. Basically driving around the track 3 wide at about 80 km/h.

Again, it depends on the type of license you're going after.

The Top Gear guys definitely have impressive car control, but they're quite rubbish when you pay attention to their driving in an actual race. Jeremy especially. Out of the three of them, I think James is the only one with a good understanding.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread

Last edited by doogee; 03-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^for me, being a racing driver is all about consistency. Getting through a chicane once quickly doesn't mean anything. If you watch lots of top gear you can see that none of the presenters are very consistent, even if they are fast.

Clarkson always comes into corners way too hot so he can slide all over the place and yell POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I drive like that too sometimes, but that's not fast, and not how a racing driver would turn.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
Furious
BMW again.

Who cares what religion he practices. Tom Cruise has been in some of my favorite movies and thats all I care about. Seeing him on the track busting out respectable times put a smile on my face.

As for the Top gear guys. I feel that even though they are decently accomplished drivers their faults more reflect the average driver more so than a professional driver. Its what makes the show a bit more entertaining. Besides they have the Stig to do all the serious driving.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: