Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Many questions about E39 work/customizing/parts

Hello,

I recently bought a 2002 Black E39 (530i), and I absolutely love it. I live in Toronto, but I donít mind travelling anywhere in the GTA to get parts. I have few questions:

1) Do you recommend a good body shop for minor painting of some scratches, and few fixes (small dents) here and there? I am not looking for a very professional paint job of the whole car, but I am looking for a good job to be done on few spots on the car with reasonable prices. (I am definitely looking for an honest shop with excellent customer service; I donít mind paying a bit more, e.g. 10%, if I know I am getting a good service to my car and not get hassled with dealing with the shop.)

2) I am interested in the M-tech bumpers. Do you know any shops/online stores that sell them? (For shops preferably in the GTA; for online stores preferably in Canada.)

3) I am interested in the euro armrest (I have beige interior) and euro side mirrors. Do you know any shops/online stores that sell them?

4) Do you know any scrap yards in the GTA (an hour drive is ok too), that are known to have BMWs/E39s cars for parts?

5) I am interested in the smoked red/white backlights. Do you know any shops/online stores that sell them?

Finally: for any of the parts I mentioned above, should I buy OEM parts or third party parts? (I am thinking for the bumpers it is better buying OEM parts, but for backlights it does not really matter.)

Thank you and I am looking forward to your feedback
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

You can check the site sponsors for parts and service.
Here are some answers to your questions based on my experience:
1) Mister John Auto (Weston and Steeles area). I always take my car there, they are really good.
2) There is someone on Kijiji selling aftermarket M bumpers, also in Weston and Steeles area. I have no experience with them. Search Kijijii.
3) Check Ebay.
4) Check site sponsor list.
5) Don't know
6) When I got my bumpers I went OEM because I didn't want to have problems with the fit. It will obviously be more expensive. There are alot of other parts that you will need to complete the conversion.
Check here:
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/m...ech-bumper.htm
And here:
http://www.540isport.com/DIY/M5front...umperparts.htm
Old 03-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much for the helpful reply. I just called Mister John and I loved how friendly the lady was. I am seeing them tomorrow
Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for your reply.

1) I saw Frank at Mister John, very professional (knowledgeable, honest about the prices, and friendly). But they do a complete body shop kind of repairs. So they don't fix a spot here and there--they repair the whole panel. Which was too much money for what I wanted. They are also more expensive than the Procilo Brothers. Mister John quoted me $700-$800 for the rear pumper, while Dominique from the Procilo Brothers quoted me $400-$500 on the same pumper. They both do a complete panel body repairs and paint. They don't do "quick" fixes. I guess their prices reflect the quality of work they do.

2) Do you suppose the after market bumpers are really that bad? They obviously won't be OEM quality, but are they still good enough? I mean, I don't want them to fold by shear wind power! Or start cracking after one winter for no reason! Also, they come in black plastic, so I guess they have to be painted black metallic to match the car, no? (I am also considering the M-side mirrors, which probably need painting too.) What are you thoughts about this?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

3) Does anyone know a good way to clean dirty ridges in beige leather seats?

4) Does anyone know if there is a beige paint for beige plastic interior??? :s

5) Does anybody know what is this think inside the '6 CD changer' compartment? :s

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Some pics (see attachment) N/T

Some pics (see attachment) N/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG276.jpg (473.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG275.jpg (496.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Thank you for your reply.

1) I saw Frank at Mister John, very professional (knowledgeable, honest about the prices, and friendly). But they do a complete body shop kind of repairs. So they don't fix a spot here and there--they repair the whole panel. Which was too much money for what I wanted. They are also more expensive than the Procilo Brothers. Mister John quoted me $700-$800 for the rear pumper, while Dominique from the Procilo Brothers quoted me $400-$500 on the same pumper. They both do a complete panel body repairs and paint. They don't do "quick" fixes. I guess their prices reflect the quality of work they do.

2) Do you suppose the after market bumpers are really that bad? They obviously won't be OEM quality, but are they still good enough? I mean, I don't want them to fold by shear wind power! Or start cracking after one winter for no reason! Also, they come in black plastic, so I guess they have to be painted black metallic to match the car, no? (I am also considering the M-side mirrors, which probably need painting too.) What are you thoughts about this?
1) It's good to shop around to see if the price you were quoted is reasonable. Mister John is on the expensive side but they do really good work.

2) I had an afermarket bumper on my E36 and it was excellent in terms of fit, finish and strength. But you never know what you get...some may be good while others not so good. I decided to go with OEM on my E39 because I didn't want any problems.

The picture you took where the CD changer goes...that is the amp.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

"4) Do you know any scrap yards in the GTA (an hour drive is ok too), that are known to have BMWs/E39s cars for parts?"

Not a scrap yard, but we have 10+ E39's in stock being parted at all times, with new inventory every few weeks. From 525i to M5.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech9T8 View Post

2) I had an afermarket bumper on my E36 and it was excellent in terms of fit, finish and strength. But you never know what you get...some may be good while others not so good. I decided to go with OEM on my E39 because I didn't want any problems.
Thank you for the helpful reply. Do you, by any chance, remember what was the brand of your E36 aftermarket bumper?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
"4) Do you know any scrap yards in the GTA (an hour drive is ok too), that are known to have BMWs/E39s cars for parts?"

Not a scrap yard, but we have 10+ E39's in stock being parted at all times, with new inventory every few weeks. From 525i to M5.
Thank you for the tip. What's your address? Shop name?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

about the aftermarket e39 bumpers, i got them from steeles and weston, www.extremeparts.ca)

For the price the fit is decent, but you will have to play around with them a bit to fit. I dont drive my car in the winter, so im not really worried about them cracking.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
about the aftermarket e39 bumpers, i got them from steeles and weston, www.extremeparts.ca)

For the price the fit is decent, but you will have to play around with them a bit to fit. I dont drive my car in the winter, so im not really worried about them cracking.
Thanks man, you are very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Do you know what brand it is? I think I can get it from ebay for $100 less. Also, where did you get them painted and for how much? Thanks a lot again.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Quote:

Do you know what brand it is? I think I can get it from ebay for $100 less. Also, where did you get them painted and for how much? Thanks a lot again.

The packaging had taiwan on it. They are probably the same ones as the ones on ebay, but buying it locally is easier, plus you might get hit with heavy duty fees.

I painted mine at Leons Autobody http://www.leonsautobody.com/ at $500 for 2.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:

Its not worth the $100 savings! Here is why; I got mine from the same place on Steels (Extremeparts.ca) and when i got home, after very carefull inspection i discovered 2 imperfections i could just NOT live with. Went back next day and got an exchange without any problems! If i had to send it back to the US (like i had to do with my last part i ordered) it would take 2 more weeks, shipping cost and maybe paying duty again. After all said and done, i paid more locally, but very happy customer.

Keep in mind all parts you get from the US will have duty added to it by the time it gets here, last time i ordered something big ($300-400 part) i had to pay $150/160 in duty before i could pick up...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate your advice.

Can you recommend a body shop that would paint the bumpers for less than $500 for the two of them? I've seen the painting process done before and it's definitely not worth $500. It will probably take 30 minutes of their time (as there is no disassembly or assembly), + the primer/paint/clear coating, etc. $500 sounds too much for the that, no?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: