Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Interesting, how are you going to put it in the car so it can see the sky ?
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I have a windshield mount. I usually position it towards the top behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Ah, ok, so one of the things that I found important was the GPS sample rate.

Most of them do 1/second, which isn't quite enough for tracking a car. Does this GPS unit do more ?

The one I have does 10/second which is a little too much, 5/second is about right.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

So far I've just been reading my lap times off my video footage at the end of the day. From your screenshot I'm liking the speed display and lap count (assuming those will be more accurate when coupled to your external gps).. is there anything else you use the app for? And.. I'm guessing the app works by running while your phone camera is filming? Is there a way it could work using footage from a dedicated camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I have a few videos up on youtube.

Harry's lap timer is cool because it does video overlay. At mosport GPS signal wasn't that great so speed readings are off. An external GPS receiver would improve the signal alot, im looking into it for next year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdottme#p/u/2/Py1f4Q8hwD4
There are more that i've uploaded under the same account.

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Ah, ok, so one of the things that I found important was the GPS sample rate.

Most of them do 1/second, which isn't quite enough for tracking a car. Does this GPS unit do more ?

The one I have does 10/second which is a little too much, 5/second is about right.
The Emprum UltiMate GPS add-on I bought has a 5hz update rate, wheras the iPhone internal gps is 1hz. The Ultimate also supports passing NMEA data to the app, which as I understand it makes the timing more accurate.

For more tech talk, read this: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie...a957db271ce315

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamus View Post
So far I've just been reading my lap times off my video footage at the end of the day. From your screenshot I'm liking the speed display and lap count (assuming those will be more accurate when coupled to your external gps).. is there anything else you use the app for? And.. I'm guessing the app works by running while your phone camera is filming? Is there a way it could work using footage from a dedicated camera?
It is possible to use the app only for data acquisition. You can then output the data and overlay it onto another video. Not exactly sure how it is done, but it is possible. Probably not as easy as letting the app do it.

Another add on that you can buy is an OBDII doggle, which allows the app to overlay RMP, Trottle, Brake, Current Gear, etc.

Can't wait to try it out, there has been a update to the app with some new features.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 03-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
2bmw2
Banned

Having a 5Hz or 10Hz NMEA update rate does not make the systems more accurate. What you really need is either a dead reckoning system using a gyro and accelerometer to extrapolate the points in between the one second samples, or you need to process the RAW binary data from the GPS and write your own algorithms to process the data for better resolution. (or use a combination of RAW data and additional sensors. That's how we do it on the GPS products I work on.

And there is absolutely no reason that the GPS signal at Mosport would be weaker than anywhere else. If you want to read about the sort of module I use, here's a link: http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloa...W-10018%29.pdf

Just a module like that is more then the price of those external receivers that plug into your phone.

Here is one solution for an external GPS/GSM antenna that mounts on the inside of your windshield http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...893cs926574116

Last edited by 2bmw2; 03-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.
2bmw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the track bug and I'd like to start using a lap timer. I saw someone using Harry's lap timer at Cayuga. Very cool! I'll have to borrow my wife's android phone or borrow an ipod from one of my kids.

Great info here - is there any more recent developments that would help me choose an app?

I saw a youtube video where the app was calling out lap times on the phone's speaker. Does anyone recognize which lap timer app can do that?

thanks
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: