Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

2013 F32 BMW 4-Series Coupe Rendering

Based on the shape of the F30 3-Series sedan, and on the most recent sightings, we bring you our first rendering of what will soon be known as the BMW 4-Series Coupe, built under the F32 codename.

Production on this new Coupe will likely start in the first half of 2013, while the full reveal will likely take place in late 2012. The engine range should be borrowed from the F30, with a strong focus being put on the new 2.0-liter in the 428i.

But what do we think of the new 4-Series Coupe from an esthetically point of view. Is it a looker? The short answer is yes, very much so. The cutout at the side of the kidney grilles is even bigger where the headlights meat it, which makes the coupe look sporty.

Down the side, we have strong character lines that remind of the bigger 6-Series. Coincidently, the F32 coupe is about the size of the first Generation 6er, and with the extra length, BMW has decided to create a bigger boot by the looks of things.

source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ing-43312.html
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
ezbst
1st Gear Newbie

awkward render at the rear, though the front looks pretty close to what it should look like.
ezbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

^^agreed
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member

I dont like the fact that they are going to call it a 4 series! That means the M3 is dead, the best sports sedan in the world, is dead!!!! WTF BMW?? honestly who is doing there marketing and coming up with these stupid ideas.
92 325is- sold
97 328is- sold
00 Land Rover Disco- sold
07 328i- sold
84 325e- track car, in progress........ SOLD!
87 325is- FOR SALE
98 328is- Current Daily
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerboyPH View Post
I dont like the fact that they are going to call it a 4 series! That means the M3 is dead, the best sports sedan in the world, is dead!!!! WTF BMW?? honestly who is doing there marketing and coming up with these stupid ideas.
I actually had a rant about that at the bottom of my OP but it got edited out before this thread was 'approved' by the mods.

I was speculating on what niche this car is supposed to fill. Is this car supposed to be for people who think the 3 series coupe is too small but don't like the number 6? Because this is only slightly smaller than the current 6 series. I went on to point out that there is most likely going to be a 4 series GT as well as an X4 now. And finally I said that all BMW has to do now is make a slightly larger 1 series coupe and call it the 2 series, usher in the X2, and bring back the 8 series with a sedan version, but make a slightly larger coupe version and call it the 9 series.

Can I haz job at BMW now?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
brunp
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
They will still have an M3 Sports Sedan, and then the M4 Sports Coupe. The engine choice for the M3 Sports Sedan will a tri-turbo inline six. They are not killing off the M3.

Paul
brunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I actually had a rant about that at the bottom of my OP but it got edited out before this thread was 'approved' by the mods.

I was speculating on what niche this car is supposed to fill. Is this car supposed to be for people who think the 3 series coupe is too small but don't like the number 6? Because this is only slightly smaller than the current 6 series. I went on to point out that there is most likely going to be a 4 series GT as well as an X4 now. And finally I said that all BMW has to do now is make a slightly larger 1 series coupe and call it the 2 series, usher in the X2, and bring back the 8 series with a sedan version, but make a slightly larger coupe version and call it the 9 series.

Can I haz job at BMW now?

Like I get that they are going for smaller boosted engines to improve efficency, but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but BMW made its name with legendary n/a straight six engines, mated to manual transmissions and rwd. They where drivers cars!! Nowadays they seem to only be interested in profits and not they're heritage.

As a result I have noticed a huge dive in there quality! I can see BMW ending up where Mercedes did a few years back. They had a terrible reputation but they have since made a come back and look at them now!!! BMW's heading for the same thing. They are turning there back on there heritage, there trademarks!! No more n/a straight 6's, no more m3??? WTF!!! Instead they are coming out with stupid cars like the 5 series gt. Only time will tell, but ones things for sure, I doubt I'll be buying a new BMW anytime soon if ever again. I hope I'm wrong. And I'm sure many of you will disagree and tear me to pieces now, so go ahead.
92 325is- sold
97 328is- sold
00 Land Rover Disco- sold
07 328i- sold
84 325e- track car, in progress........ SOLD!
87 325is- FOR SALE
98 328is- Current Daily
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
brunp
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Like I get that they are going for smaller boosted engines to improve efficency, but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but BMW made its name with legendary n/a straight six engines, mated to manual transmissions and rwd. They where drivers cars!! Nowadays they seem to only be interested in profits and not they're heritage.

As a result I have noticed a huge dive in there quality! I can see BMW ending up where Mercedes did a few years back. They had a terrible reputation but they have since made a come back and look at them now!!! BMW's heading for the same thing. They are turning there back on there heritage, there trademarks!! No more n/a straight 6's, no more m3??? WTF!!! Instead they are coming out with stupid cars like the 5 series gt. Only time will tell, but ones things for sure, I doubt I'll be buying a new BMW anytime soon if ever again. I hope I'm wrong. And I'm sure many of you will disagree and tear me to pieces now, so go ahead.
I can understand your point with N/A straight 6's, but to stay with ahead of the competition and maintain their lead, they can not go with n/a straight 6's like they used too. To keep ahead of their competition they need to introduce some kind of forced induction into the power-plant.

I don't see BMW having lost any edge in quality. They did not have any specific partnership like Mercedes did with Chrysler that resulted in lower quality Benz'.

I find that BMW is still maintaining their heritage. I still consider them to be the best damn car in its class. I test-drove a 328i last week and I was blown away by the ride, quality, performance and everything. However, I am waiting for the 4-series coupe to come out. :-)

Paul
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
The-Traveler
2nd Gear Member

Let's recap this 4 series is what the 3-series coupe was, only larger and more boaty? Did I read that right?
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
vincenthclam
2nd Gear Member

I wish they were still making the E30.
vincenthclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

2002 had a four banger. World-beater e30 M3 had a four banger. Formula one champion had... a turbocharged fourbanger. Don't get me wrong, a straight six is possibly my favourite engine configuration to drive, BMW made the best, and I recently invested in one myself... I just don't understand why the inline 6 is a necessary component of a sporting BMW in so many people's minds.

There are a lot of things going wrong with the M-car direction but as long as the engine is free and high revving and mated to a good manual transmission (AHEM!) I don't know that the configuration straying from NA I6 is a dealbreaker.

Shrug.
nonlocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
2002 had a four banger. World-beater e30 M3 had a four banger. Formula one champion had... a turbocharged fourbanger. Don't get me wrong, a straight six is possibly my favourite engine configuration to drive, BMW made the best, and I recently invested in one myself... I just don't understand why the inline 6 is a necessary component of a sporting BMW in so many people's minds.

There are a lot of things going wrong with the M-car direction but as long as the engine is free and high revving and mated to a good manual transmission (AHEM!) I don't know that the configuration straying from NA I6 is a dealbreaker.
I would have to agree, the inline 6 had become a signature of BMW, but certainly not a deal breaker IMO.

However, you neglected to mentioned the fact that none of those cars weighed 4000lbs. So with that combo, it is a deal breaker, for me anyway.

Last edited by Discostar; 03-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Perhaps I can interest you in the automatic tranny fatass truck-coupe X6M?

Like I said, lots going wrong with M-division's direction these days, heh.
nonlocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Where did you hear there is no more M3?? Is this true??
Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
brunp
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IScreamer View Post
Where did you hear there is no more M3?? Is this true??
There will be an M3 sedan and then the 4-series will have an M4.

Paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: