Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Spacers and wheel balance issue

Need some help. My new (to me) 16" wheels on my E30 I bought with 3 mm spacers for the fronts to clear the strut housing. I've got a non stop balance issue. The wheels and tires balanced out alright.

The spacer looks really cheap and actually doesn't sit perfectly round on the hub, meaning it can actually be off center (bore hole bigger than hub, and oval lug bolt holes). Would however this difference so close to the center of the rim cause the balance I'm feeling? I'm also using the stock bolts.

So if I want to truly sit on the hub with these wheels are my only options a 10 - 12mm spacer with a hub built into them?

Vehicle has all new front and rear suspension and bushings with the exception of the rubber coupling in the steering column.

Any experience would be appreciate, thanks in advance!!!
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

I wouldn't think so unless you have a bad ball-joint or tie-rod or something. Can't you swap a wheel from the back and see if it makes a difference...

Remove the wheel and glue the spacer to the wheel with a thin layer of gasket maker or something... lol this way it'll be centered, and you can still remove it later with a spatula or something.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I remember fighting that battle on my old e30, i never completely solved it even after replacing complete brakes, complete front end suspension, brand new wheels (Direct fit and hub centric), brand new tires, rebuilt rack. The only thing that left was the front strut mounts.

I got it down a lot and barely noticeable, but never completely gone. Most people never notice it but i did. (Maybe i'm too picky)

Now i'm fighting this battle with the e36.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

If the bore of the wheels is chamferred drastically (the angle of the hub where it means the car's hub) then yeah, a 3mm spacer alone could cause the wheel to be positioned slightly off-center.

Trick is to tighten the bolts with the wheel/tire still unweighted (in the air). Star pattern, try to get a good amount of torque into each one without going over spec before you drop the car. This will help center the wheel and fix the wobble.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Also if your car is dropped make sure you're not using the spec for toe. From what I've read you want to aim for 0 toe.

I'm not an expert but from what I know when the car moves up and down the toe changes, (bump steer)... If you have any weak joints, cabs or rods you'll know it. Excessive toe in/out places a side load on each wheel, either forcing the wheels apart or together.

Unless you're running staggered I'd swap a back wheel forward first, just to be sure it's not the wheel or the tire.

I was joking about gluing the spacer to the wheel.... but in fact it might work.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 02-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Some great advice! And honestly a dab of RTV sealer to the spacer actually sounded like a good idea to me as well.

I'm realizing also that I am using stock bolts with the 3mm spacer. This whole setup just reeks of unsafe. Not sure what I'm going to do.... sell the 16s and go with a wheel and tire that doesn't need spacers and run my 15" BBS RMs while I do that... (grrr they vibrate as well!!!)

Thanks everybody.
85 325e M5
Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Stock bolts are fine with 3mm spacers and most wheel hubs. If you can get 6 full turns in it's more than safe.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

It gets more interesting. I feel like a total newb when it comes to this. The Asa wheel has a plastic adapter ring pressed into the middle of each wheel to center it and adapt a larger opening in the middle to the small hub size of the BMW. I pressed out cleaned and pressed in this plastic ring. I wonder if it is somehow pulling the wheel to one side slightly?
85 325e M5
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

What I'm wondering is why you need any other wheels if you already have RMs?

I only use my RM's around town and for about 2 weeks at a time. It takes forever to polish them and I don't drive down any unknown roads... My GF wonders why I have wheels I never use... I pretend I don't hear her very well and then change the subject very quickly.

Bottom line is I like them and that's the only reason I need.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 03-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

One rm leaks out air and though I've done the bolts over I can't stop it.

Also they have my race rubber. Lol the rarest wheels are the race wheels.

You're more than welcome to come by and see if you want another set once the race rubber is done.
85 325e M5
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Dixie14
1st Gear Newbie

I'm also using the stock bolts.

So if I want to truly sit on the hub with these wheels are my only options a 10 - 12mm spacer
Dixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm a little embarrassed to say that ALWAYS the simplest things first.

I went to my buddy at Pickering Tire and Mag (check out his new Ford GT!!) and each wheel was badly off. He started by removing each tire and checking the wheel for bends, remounted and balanced.

Night and day. For the first time ever the vehicle is smoooooth!
85 325e M5

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: