Fast forward to this winter. It's my first winter in 5 years that I'm not in school, so with more free time on my hands than I'm use to I mustered up the gumption to dive into this project.
Goals for the project:
- budget stroker = keep cost to a minimum
- make at least as much power as the 2.8L motor that the crank came out of (~190hp) but with my old shitty 2 valve head
- mainly learn about building a motor as this is the first time I've attempted to build a motor of any kind
Performance parts to be added:
- Ireland Engineering heavy duty rockers (for all day 7000rpm duty)
- Some sort of performance headers
- Some sort of performance cam
- Lightened flywheel
- Crank scraper
- adjustable cam gear
- DIYPNP engine management (which in turn will give AFM delete)
- ITB set-up (this will be another project for after the motor is built and running)
Before the snow hit I bought an engine stand and pulled Rob's old motor back into the garage to become a permanent resident for the winter...
On a side note: After I had pulled the oil pan off that motor I ended up dumping it on a piece of plywood in the bush and covering it with a plastic tarp. It sat there for two years with the crank case open to the atmosphere. I was quite surprised to see when I brought it back into the garage that there was no rust on the cylinder bores at all.
Unfortunately it didn't even cross my mind to take pictures of the motor during the initial tear down but I bagged and tagged all the bits that came off.
Once I had the head disassembled I did an El Ghetto test to see if any of the valves were leaking...
Only the one exhaust valve was leaking...
However the shop that I'm taking the head to for decking said that they'll vacuum check the valve to valve seat seal of all the valves for $20. So I'm going to get them to do that.
Initial inspection of the head showed quite the step from the exhaust port to the manifold...
I figured this might be for anti-reversion, but I'd look into it further.
Continuing the tear down, I ripped into the bottom end. Sometimes the timing gear can get seized on when corrosion creeps in between the gear and the crank. I got lucky and mine slid right off
Then I got to cleaning up the head...
Next I needed the connecting rods out of that 325e motor. When I bought it, I ended up putting it in the back of our wood shed. Not having a convenient way of getting it to the garage I decided to tackle it on one of the not so cold days...
Roll out the red carpet...