Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #121
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Rob's motor mount has a slotted hole on the same hole your mount doesn't line up with. Looks like you need to slot that hole a bit.
I figured that was my best/only real option. I would be drilling now if the f#(k1N& power wasn't still out

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #122
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

just as bullet said!

drill that bitch out!!! and the real option is to get an e36 m50 mount . please be careful with that drill!

...hmmm.....wonder how that mount arm will line up. oh by the way, make sure your engine mounts are LOOSE and flipped backwards as in 180* degrees horizontal rotation. you will find that it wont line up, then you're going to freak. just have a 2x4 on hand, cuz you will def need to pry here and there to get the mount to line up with the engine mount arm hole!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #123
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya I've heard its a challenge to get lined up with the mounts. I'm sure I'll be too full of excitement when thats going on to get too angry

Got the hole widened

Whats the other hole (top right) for on this mount?

Other arm went on no problem

My temporary steering rack lol. The car could be getting towed to the bodyshop as early as tomorrow evening

Headed into town now to try to find bolts for PS pump and alternator. Also get some and confirm sizing of the TB heater port and my oil centre. Then I'll order those VDO visions with the correct senders tonight

Last edited by cormier; 03-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #124
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Other arm went on no problem

Is that upside down? The motor would be at a pretty massive angle if the one mount point was that much higher than the other

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 03-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #125
cormier
6th Gear Member

I think it's correct! Here's a shot showing the angle compared to the bottom of the oil pan. I can't tilt the motor because of how it's on the stand now

Annnd she's back on the wheels and craving some fresh paint!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #126
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

the passenger mount is on correctly, so no sweat there. like i said it looks upside down but isnt lol

that hole is probably e36 related, i just pretended that it wasn't there. s'long as you got the 4 bolts in your gravy.

by the way, i noticed you put the PS reservoir on the driver side mount arm...i think you should leave that open for a ground wire. i found 1 ground wire did not cut it for me, so i used 2 and it works great.

ps: what suspension are you running again?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #127
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
I think it's correct! Here's a shot showing the angle compared to the bottom of the oil pan. I can't tilt the motor because of how it's on the stand now
Yeah that shot puts it in perspective better, looks right from that angle. That S52 definitely has a deep sump.
...and that turtle pool is wicked.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 03-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #128
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
the passenger mount is on correctly, so no sweat there. like i said it looks upside down but isnt lol

that hole is probably e36 related, i just pretended that it wasn't there. s'long as you got the 4 bolts in your gravy.

by the way, i noticed you put the PS reservoir on the driver side mount arm...i think you should leave that open for a ground wire. i found 1 ground wire did not cut it for me, so i used 2 and it works great.

ps: what suspension are you running again?
Ive thought about relocating the PS res, I know lots of other people do because its pretty low down on the motor mount. I didn't want to do it because I'm going for the shaved bay look, and want to delete anything that doesnt need to hang off somewhere high up.

As for the ground, your swap didnt work with the one motor mount and one cylinder head (those are the only two engine grounds right?) If I need another one maybe I'll use that spare mystery hole on the other motor mount.

Suspension is Koni Yellows (SAs) from Late Model with IE3 springs. Also e90 drop hats and no spring pads in the front, to try and give a nice rake look. Need camber plates and rear upper mounts at some point soon.

Quote:
Yeah that shot puts it in perspective better, looks right from that angle. That S52 definitely has a deep sump.
...and that turtle pool is wicked.
Lmao its a sandbox. Pretty awesome for sure -- unless you spill it all over

Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #129
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

fair enough man. clean look is always good!

ya, that extra mount arm hole should be able to suffice as a ground connecter. way i did it was...mount arm to frame of car. same goes for the driver side, using that hole you attached the PS res to.

koni yellows are pretty much stock right? if that the case....change them. the s52 will be heavier and definitely will blow out your shocks, even with stiff springs!

is the exhaust manifold made to fit the e36? or custom for the e30...i had a problem intalling the engine with the manifolds attached, might have just been the excess down piping...but def keep that in mind. you prob wont have to though.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #130
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Lmao its a sandbox. Pretty awesome for sure -- unless you spill it all over
This kid told me otherwise...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #131
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

That sucks the fitting isn't 1/8th.
Edit: Just read 3x beemers post. Going to look into ordering a fitting.

And where did you pick up your oil centre?

Build looks good!

Last edited by nate_s89; 03-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.
nate_s89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #132
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
fair enough man. clean look is always good!
koni yellows are pretty much stock right? if that the case....change them. the s52 will be heavier and definitely will blow out your shocks, even with stiff springs!

is the exhaust manifold made to fit the e36? or custom for the e30...i had a problem intalling the engine with the manifolds attached, might have just been the excess down piping...but def keep that in mind. you prob wont have to though.
Koni SAs I believe are some of the stiffest shocks you can get other than a coilover setup. Plus you can adjust the damper to your springs. I don't think Ill have a problem running them with the minimal added weight of the S52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_s89 View Post
That sucks the fitting isn't 1/8th.
Edit: Just read 3x beemers post. Going to look into ordering a fitting.

And where did you pick up your oil centre?

Build looks good!
I got my oil centre used from one of the forums. If I was buying one new, I may have gone with the bimmerworld (I believe) adapter that uses a hollow bolt where your OEM oil switch goes. A lot more incognito and I think mounting the pressure sender would be better. we'll see how it goes.

I ordered my gauges from egauges, some come with a "metric kit" which is 1/8NPT sender and M10-16 adapters. For the one that didnt come with that, I ordered seperate adapter fittings from egauges at the same time. Should work out fine . I've been told the TB heater hole is M12 x 1.5 and I believe my oil centre is the same.

Quote:
This kid told me otherwise...
Thats f'in jkz. My g/f confirmed just now that it has indeed been used exclusively as a sandbox all their childhood.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #133
cormier
6th Gear Member

Also, the headers are e36 fitment, but I dont think it'll be a problem because theyre nice and short Custom downpipes will be fabricated once the motors in

Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #134
cormier
6th Gear Member

Got the car loaded up to the body shop today! wooohooo

Ugh still having second thoughts about going a little darker grey and painting the rest of the car that colour next year. I dislike my current paint

Onto some pix

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #135
cormier
6th Gear Member

Color change is back on the table. After seeing some great examples of fresh paint at OctaneArt, I realized how much I hate my paint currently. I love grey, but either the Polaris itself or the job that was done on my car previously doesn't tickle my fancy. There's runs on the body and the color is just flat and boring.

So I'm going to go with another grey / silver for the bay now, with the intention of getting the rest of the body color done next fall (I need another project lined up anyways). There's a lot more visual ... "refreshments" that I'd like to do next winter at the same time.

I'm pretty much set on Lachssilber, because it's beautiful and Sooo close to Polaris that it wont look hideous this year mismatched. Other contenders are sterling silver, delphin grey and some Audi colors (which are generally a bit darker)

Will post some Lachssilber pix for encouragement for myself. Bottom line -- what's the point of doing all this work and hating the color?!

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: