Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #31
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
Yeah no shit guys.. since when do max guys act like r3v guys, its not wrong to ask when you're clueless about something.. But like you guys said BACK ON TOPIC..

Rob, when you did the oil pan gasket what did you use?? just the good old OEM gasket? or even just a nice "fancy brand" ones? Because according to my research about the e30 DOHC swap TONSS of people have had oil leaking problems because of the gaskets failing on them or the gasket not being installed properly, and I'm talking all kinds of motors of this swap M50nvs, M52s, S52s etc.. Not saying you didnt, but you basically gotta lick the surface where the gasket goes clean.. and even after doing that some people still got oil leaks..guess what helped them seal the pan properly.. YUP good old RTV sealant in combination of the gasket. (Cormier I'd recommend this for your swap as well bro) and Voila apparently no leaks or problems reported after that..

But to be honest with you, if you're going to spend time and money taking apart your motor to fix it, just shop for a good used m52 or an s5* motor, rip the stupid m50 out and throw in the good motor after you change all the seals, gaskets, pumps and belts.. It'll be easy enough for you since you've got the pan, wiring, booster and the whole shabang already set up and it will give you a chance to start over and retrace your steps so that you can avoid mishaps in the future.. its called gaining experience and learning from previous mistakes.. we weren't all born with our knowledge about BMWs/cars in general like people make it sound. We all had to learn somehow, whether its from ourselves or from others.

Oh, and i know you'll probably think.. naah I can't afford a motor right now gotta just run this one, but at this point it seems like your cheapest bet to just find a motor. cuz $$ and time constantly spent on fixing the m50 + oil is just a waste, could be money your spending on a new motor + nice new parts for it and not only will your car love you and run like an absolute G.. but you'll also be stunting on the haters when you've got a good running motor in her, know what im sayinn broo

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egye30 View Post
Yeah no shit guys.. since when do max guys act like r3v guys, its not wrong to ask when you're clueless about something.. But like you guys said BACK ON TOPIC..

Rob, when you did the oil pan gasket what did you use?? just the good old OEM gasket? or even just a nice "fancy brand" ones? Because according to my research about the e30 DOHC swap TONSS of people have had oil leaking problems because of the gaskets failing on them or the gasket not being installed properly, and I'm talking all kinds of motors of this swap M50nvs, M52s, S52s etc.. Not saying you didnt, but you basically gotta lick the surface where the gasket goes clean.. and even after doing that some people still got oil leaks..guess what helped them seal the pan properly.. YUP good old RTV sealant in combination of the gasket. (Cormier I'd recommend this for your swap as well bro) and Voila apparently no leaks or problems reported after that..

But to be honest with you, if you're going to spend time and money taking apart your motor to fix it, just shop for a good used m52 or an s5* motor, rip the stupid m50 out and throw in the good motor after you change all the seals, gaskets, pumps and belts.. It'll be easy enough for you since you've got the pan, wiring, booster and the whole shabang already set up and it will give you a chance to start over and retrace your steps so that you can avoid mishaps in the future.. its called gaining experience and learning from previous mistakes.. we weren't all born with our knowledge about BMWs/cars in general like people make it sound. We all had to learn somehow, whether its from ourselves or from others.

Oh, and i know you'll probably think.. naah I can't afford a motor right now gotta just run this one, but at this point it seems like your cheapest bet to just find a motor. cuz $$ and time constantly spent on fixing the m50 + oil is just a waste, could be money your spending on a new motor + nice new parts for it and not only will your car love you and run like an absolute G.. but you'll also be stunting on the haters when you've got a good running motor in her, know what im sayinn broo
yoyo
new engine is the end all solution, which i will be doing this spring with an m52 instead. i can buy one right now...reason why i havent is because i literally do not have the time for it! i work 5 days a week, and go to school...weekend comes for homework and chilling out...so really, the best i can do is keep this m50 going til school is out!

...and no. i aint paying no mechanic to do what I can.

i used the victor reinz gasket, but even after making the contact surface on the block squeaky clean...i caked it with permatex *gasket sealer* then put the gasket over it, and covered it with permatex then put the pan on. the only oil pan leak i've had was cracking it open!

the swap was done almost 2 years ago, and was more than fine. It def wasn't no "hack job" as some would think...these probs just recently started happening. ye boyyyy i know what you're saying. driving fresh to death.

Brian, ill just write that stuff down and make a checklist, i'll find time for it this weekend. thanks bud...and yes, take note on the oil pan gasket for the 24v'er
Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
cormier
6th Gear Member

Sealant on oil pan and head were done at the machine shop -- would you guy recommend on valve cover gasket too? Rtv is best? I have some permatex stuff lying around too

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

I wouldn't suggest sealant on the headgasket. On my oil pan gasket I did use some black high temp stuff. You need to apply it correctly or it will leak horribly. You need to run a bead all the way around, then sit the joining part on top and tighten all the fastening bolts/nuts to HAND TIGHT only. Then let it sit for an hour or whatever it says on the product. IF you wrench tighten it right away then it will all squeeze out and be useless.

Cleaning the stuff out of the parts later can be a pain in the ass. The one that I use it on all the time is the water pump gasket. It also helps keep the gasket in place while you fiddle with fitting the pump.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #35
cormier
6th Gear Member

You're right head gasket was a brain fart. Oil filter housing? Coolant flange on back of the head? I'm worried about that one because it's just a stupid paper gasket

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

the valve cover gasket...you dont need any seal gunk on it. if anything at the rear of the engine, where the 2 semi circles are. i never used any gunk for mine.

the coolant flange at the back is ok...and after rereading that, yes...put some seal gunk on it. it will be a bitch to work on if shit hits the fan, always having to take off the intake manifold...spare yourself that headache!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: