Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
oakville46
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakville
Posts: 155
Smoking E46 - not in the good way either

So I just started up my car and she is just spewing white smoke out the tailpipe constantly. You rev it and its just worse. Last year I had to replace the CCV and valve cover gasket. Not sure what this issue is now. She also runs a little rough - revs moves around at idle from 800 to 500 and back and forth.

I'm guessing perhaps an O2 sensor ... anyone have any input. She's on the flatbed right now headed to the shop. Man I hate the winter.

She's an 05 325i with 116,000km. All maintenance and inspections done.
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
328iInt.o
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 140
Frozen ccv.

Overnight with this cold weather the valve stuck open and dumped oil into your intake manifold. The reason the rpm were dipping is because the oil was smothering the engine - hence the smoke (burning oil).

Leave the car in the garage overnight or find a way to heat up the ccv plus it's lines somehow before driving it. Then drive the car REALLY hard to burn all the condensation.

You'll be alright. Btw I speak from experience. Happened to me last winter. Try avoiding short drives and drive the car hard especially in these colder weathers - this will not solve the problem but can help avoid it.

Last edited by 328iInt.o; 02-11-2012 at 05:46 PM.
328iInt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,995
Yeah, frozen CCV for sure. Did you get the upgraded version when you replaced it? I had mine done and had no issues last winter. This year she's hibernating...lol
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4


2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Neb
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Just had mine fail on monday night, my first winter with car parked outside. Car stalled after starting. Once the engine warmed up, it smoked like crazy. Had it towed, failed Oil separator, got water in engine. Replaced head gasket, and oil filter housing gasket. Oil change, spark plug changes.. back on the road again.

Does this happen often? I park outside now.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
oakville46
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakville
Posts: 155
E46 is known for this. The car needs to run longer to generate enough internal heat to burn off the condensation build up otherwise the oil seperator fails and you are out some $$$. I've had this happen now 2 winters in a row. Since I drive short distances to work next winter the car is getting parked.
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
jabela
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 761
I think I had this a few weeks ago after letting the car sit over a cold weekend. I only had a little white smoke for about a minute after I got on the highway.
I have a 20 min highway drive, but it's obviously not getting up to temp.

Since xmas I've had this oil pan heating pad ready to install on my oil pan as soon as I get some time.
http://www.padheaters.com/description.html
I'm also considering wrapping the CCV and dipstick tube in a smaller one.

I connected with INPA and logged some data on my drive to work.
As you can see, the oil temps barely got over 100C after 20km. Ambient temp was about 3C at the time. Any water in the oil would not be burned off properly.
Maybe we need to put some insulation on the oil pan in the winter?
I had cardboard blocking off the radiator. Coolant never goes over 97C.
If I let the car idle at the end of the drive, the oil eventually gets up to 103C.
They do make heater pads that run off 12V. We could heat the oil hotter with that while driving. But you'd have to tie it into the oil temp sensor to shut off over ~104C.

I hate to think what the oil temp is when it's below -10C.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mIwWXVTakhGdXc
Attached Images
File Type: png chart_1.png (43.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: png 2012-2-21_10-31-42_No-00.png (95.2 KB, 175 views)
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
328iInt.o
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
I think I had this a few weeks ago after letting the car sit over a cold weekend. I only had a little white smoke for about a minute after I got on the highway.
I have a 20 min highway drive, but it's obviously not getting up to temp.

Since xmas I've had this oil pan heating pad ready to install on my oil pan as soon as I get some time.
http://www.padheaters.com/description.html
I'm also considering wrapping the CCV and dipstick tube in a smaller one.

I connected with INPA and logged some data on my drive to work.
As you can see, the oil temps barely got over 100C after 20km. Ambient temp was about 3C at the time. Any water in the oil would not be burned off properly.
Maybe we need to put some insulation on the oil pan in the winter?
I had cardboard blocking off the radiator. Coolant never goes over 97C.
If I let the car idle at the end of the drive, the oil eventually gets up to 103C.
They do make heater pads that run off 12V. We could heat the oil hotter with that while driving. But you'd have to tie it into the oil temp sensor to shut off over ~104C.

I hate to think what the oil temp is when it's below -10C.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mIwWXVTakhGdXc
Great research.

I never knew our oil stayed so mild even at 3c. What's worse is BMW throughout 7 years of producing the e46 only put some foam around the ccv to 'prevent' it from freezing.

I like the cardboArd idea and will do so. happy our winter is mild so far.
328iInt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
jabela
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iInt.o View Post
Great research.

I never knew our oil stayed so mild even at 3c. What's worse is BMW throughout 7 years of producing the e46 only put some foam around the ccv to 'prevent' it from freezing.

I like the cardboArd idea and will do so. happy our winter is mild so far.
Yea, 325's seem to be massively overcooled, especially in the winter. Plus with 6.5L of oil, it takes a while to heat up, especially cruising on the highway with low load and cold air blowing through the rad/engine bay.
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakville46 View Post
E46 is known for this. The car needs to run longer to generate enough internal heat to burn off the condensation build up otherwise the oil seperator fails and you are out some $$$. I've had this happen now 2 winters in a row. Since I drive short distances to work next winter the car is getting parked.
Cliff,

The problem was the fact that the job was not done right the first time, it was your old hoses with a "custom" cold climate jacket...not OEM stuff. Follow my guidelines and you should be fine to drive it next winter.
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
oakville46
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakville
Posts: 155
Jon, always great service and happy to deal with you at the staff at Bimmersport. So far so good since she was last in. Now its time to slam her to the ground. I'll let you know when that happens LOL
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.