Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
ding ding ding, someone gets it

People hang apple out to dry because they're an easy target, large and successful. People criticize Steve Jobs for not being as generous as say Bill Gates, but that man is literally trying to buy a Nobel peace prize. As transparent as glass.
Who the **** cares if he's buying it? He's doing a SHIT LOAD of good vs Jobs in the process. Ultimately that's all that matters.

And I don't think he'd buying it, for the record...

Some people are just pricks (like Jobs - Read his biography, eye opener to who he was) and some people aren't.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
Says the Man with a BMW 7 series... As said earlier, take time to reflect on the toys you have that you really dont need. You might come to the conclusion that you are part of this generation as well.

If you have money and obtained it in morally sound and legal fashion you should have every right to spend it.
Nope, not part of it because the difference is that I pay cash and use my debit card for the toys I want (excluding cars). I'm not some hippie but I'm a realist and don't fall for the buy moar junk from China to keep up... but thanks to complacence you are paying good money (typically on credit) for stuff that costs pennies on the dollar.

And could I get a newer 7-series? Yep but I feel that there is something to be said about the quality of the older gens. Flame away about E38 reliability but I've replaced all the problem-by-design-parts and it has been an absolute tank for the last couple years and should be for many more.

But yeah, my point: people demand everything now on credit and goods supply has come down in price and quality to meet the demand. Nothing wrong with what Apple or anyone else is doing... the market asked for it.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #33
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twin View Post
Just read this entire thread on my iPhone. Flawlessly.

hahhaha.. I tried on my blackberry.. this $hit dont work.. i guess it because they were made in Canada. I got an older one, lol..
Colombian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #34
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Who the **** cares if he's buying it? He's doing a SHIT LOAD of good vs Jobs in the process. Ultimately that's all that matters.

And I don't think he'd buying it, for the record...

Some people are just pricks (like Jobs - Read his biography, eye opener to who he was) and some people aren't.
All I was saying is everyone has their reasoning's, and that those who do good are not always doing it for the sake of goodness. He very well may, but the general consensus among critics is that he's trying to buy it. That's not to discredit what he's done, by the time he dies he'll probably have saved millions of lives which is an incredible feat. It's just so often you see a comparison between him and Jobs for charitable offerings and it's unreasonable and always stinks of bias.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

I LOL'ed @ the shoe riot.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4649622.story

Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #36
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
Nope, not part of it because the difference is that I pay cash and use my debit card for the toys I want (excluding cars). I'm not some hippie but I'm a realist and don't fall for the buy moar junk from China to keep up... but thanks to complacence you are paying good money (typically on credit) for stuff that costs pennies on the dollar.

And could I get a newer 7-series? Yep but I feel that there is something to be said about the quality of the older gens. Flame away about E38 reliability but I've replaced all the problem-by-design-parts and it has been an absolute tank for the last couple years and should be for many more.

But yeah, my point: people demand everything now on credit and goods supply has come down in price and quality to meet the demand. Nothing wrong with what Apple or anyone else is doing... the market asked for it.

You mean you don't want to buy tons and tons of useless shit to show off to your friends and family and to make you feel good about yourself????!!1111
Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #37
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
All I was saying is everyone has their reasoning's, and that those who do good are not always doing it for the sake of goodness. He very well may, but the general consensus among critics is that he's trying to buy it. That's not to discredit what he's done, by the time he dies he'll probably have saved millions of lives which is an incredible feat. It's just so often you see a comparison between him and Jobs for charitable offerings and it's unreasonable and always stinks of bias.
What unreasonable is to assume that one knows what Gates is thinking and what his motivations are. Period.

Actions are to be judged, not intangibles that not a soul on earth could tell you.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #38
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:

dude you said that your not part of this "have it all" generation but your probably the epitome of the "have it all generation".

you have a 7 series bmw that has a ton of aftermarket goodies in it that have probably cost well over a few thousand dollars over the years. It doesnt matter at all if it was purchased on credit or cash. 10,000 in cash or 10,000 available on a credit line is the same if its used to purchased depreciating goodies.

think about all the electronics you have.. xbox,ps3,mp3 player, cameras, watches, treadmills, tvs... and then think about why you bought them.

heres a start, TV size.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
dude you said that your not part of this "have it all" generation but your probably the epitome of the "have it all generation".

you have a 7 series bmw that has a ton of aftermarket goodies in it that have probably cost well over a few thousand dollars over the years. It doesnt matter at all if it was purchased on credit or cash. 10,000 in cash or 10,000 available on a credit line is the same if its used to purchased depreciating goodies.

think about all the electronics you have.. xbox,ps3,mp3 player, cameras, watches, treadmills, tvs... and then think about why you bought them.

heres a start, TV size.

Life is all about the race to collect the most things. Who ever dies with the most stuff, wins.

Credit provides you with the leverage that you need to make it come sooner.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #40
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
You mean you don't want to buy tons and tons of useless shit to show off to your friends and family and to make you feel good about yourself????!!1111
nope. If it ain't broke and still useful , its not getting replaced. I can't understand current trends, replacing a 6 month old phone because the new one is 20% "faster", people have too much buying power, think they are too rich to do BS like that. Worst part is it happens every product release, just look at the ****tards who line up at apple

There are occasions when its ok, like the PS3 launch. The PS2 had been out for quite some time, was dated in the tooth and could not do what the PS3 can , example HD graphics. It had become legitimately obsolete, same thing with xbox to xbox 360.

Apple on the other hand dumps out a new product every 6months to a year, making their old one SEEM obsolete. Who the hell has $800+ to dump every 6 months on a cellphone? I think consumerism sucks.

Last edited by 5style; 02-25-2012 at 12:25 PM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #41
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

Quote:

heres a start, TV size.
Totally missing the point and my 7-series and mods is a bad example. What I am trying to say is that prices are being driven down to feed demand and the only way that happens is overseas manufacturing & cutting corners. People are paying good money for sh!t that costs pennies on the dollar... hence why Apple is the world's largest company and isn't it ironic that it isn't an oil company? or a medical company? or a food chain? or a housing company?

Sure I want to buy all kinds of Sh!t that is why we work. I like toys, technology, cars but I WANT quality but its getting increasingly difficult to find it. Everything is flimsy, disposable and out of date real fast. Our parents used to rock TVs for 10+ years and appliances for decades. You can't say for a second things are and improvment and former solid companies are cutting corners and costs to compete.

Here is a few more reasons why I'm not part of it.

- I don't buy knock-offs
- I don't wait in line to buy shit
- I Don't use credit for goods, pay cash including GT-R and E30
- Every house I have owned is pre-1980
- Keep using what works, 18 yr old power amp, 13 yr old server, 12 yr old DJ headphones, 40 yr old dining set etc...
- Try to buy quality where possible for example my Skyline every part on it is Japanese except for CF hood and trunk :-( long story.

Again, this isn't an attack or a flame war... IMHO quality is dropping for feeding frenzy for china-made goods and fact is consumer debt is at record high.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #42
FelixT
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to FelixT
Apple can definitely make a much better workplace, but getting paid 1.78 dollar/hours is not bad compare to getting paid nothing or few quarters if they work in other factories.
FelixT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #43
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
And if he/anyone does? So What.

Is anyone considered "noble" because they don't buy useless shit? We ALL DO! Some A LOT more than others, but we ALL DO!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #44
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:

Again, this isn't an attack or a flame war... IMHO quality is dropping for feeding frenzy for china-made goods and fact is consumer debt is at record high.
Well said.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
And if he/anyone does? So What.

Is anyone considered "noble" because they don't buy useless shit? We ALL DO! Some A LOT more than others, but we ALL DO!
ya exactly, so what?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: