Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

here is an older article from January.. really makes me think is not just about currency exchange and culture.....

"Xbox 360 factory workers threaten suicide in China?
Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Jan 2012 18:34

Allegedly, 300 disgruntled workers at Foxconn's Technology Park in Wuhan, China threatened to commit suicide today by jumping off a building.
The factory builds parts used in the Xbox 360.

Apparently the threats came after a payment dispute with their boss. After asking for a raise last week, the boss told them to quit with a small severance or continue to work without a raise. Most of the workers took the severance but the company reportedly then reneged on the deal, not paying them the extra compensation and not giving them their jobs back.

Foxconn had a different statement, however, saying 150 employees took part "in a workplace incident" over being transferred to a different unit within the same massive campus. The company says Foxconn officials and government representatives resolved the issue, with 45 employees resigning and the rest staying on.

Microsoft released a statement, as well: "Microsoft takes working conditions in the factories that manufacture its products very seriously, and we are currently investigating this issue. We have a stringent Vendor Code of Conduct that spells out our expectations, and we monitor working conditions closely on an ongoing basis and address issues as they emerge. Microsoft is committed to the fair treatment and safety of workers employed by our vendors, and to ensuring conformance with Microsoft policy."

Foxconn is notorious for poor working conditions and was a daily headline in the last few years as workers committed suicide to have their families collect death compensation that was worth over 10 years of work pay. The company has even installed nets around their campuses to catch would-be jumpers. "
Colombian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Just read this entire thread on my iPhone. Flawlessly.
The Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
sirex
King Sirex

BigD, what about all the Palm devices and Windows phones that were out in existence before the Iphone? Lots of Palm devices were out in the wild before the Iphone, all with touch screen, hand writing recognition, etc, etc. Some with keyboards, some without. Some with the telephone capability, some without.

Look at the original Palm devices and their operating systems. Ios is almost the same thing. Same tap to activate, same type of interface. So why don't you include that?

Anyway, I don't really agree with your argument in regards to "well apple did it first, now look everyones copying it."

You can put that argument against anything. Look at all the cars on the street, they all have the same curves/look. You have to open a similar style door to get into the car.... They all operate roughly the same way.

I think everything was leading up to this point, if it wasn't apple, someone else would have done it first.

In regards to poor working conditions, it's pretty shitty. Our society allows it though and agrees with it. The very people that write those articles and post these stupid articles all over facebook are the very same people with said products that post to their facebook through their iphones.

If only they could comprehend the irony.

At the end of the day we're all slaves to the corporations anyway, and we can thank globalization for the equalization of all our wages to shit.

Last edited by sirex; 02-23-2012 at 06:19 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post

In regards to poor working conditions, it's pretty shitty. Our society allows it though and agrees with it. The very people that write those articles and post these stupid articles all over facebook are the very same people with said products that post to their facebook through their iphones.

If only they could comprehend the irony.
ding ding ding, someone gets it

People hang apple out to dry because they're an easy target, large and successful. People criticize Steve Jobs for not being as generous as say Bill Gates, but that man is literally trying to buy a Nobel peace prize. As transparent as glass.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
That's why I bought HTC over Iphone.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
Welcome to the modern marketplace where consumers demand cheap goods for the "have it all" generation. Much like the "instant home" trend in housing, goods become cheaper and made cheaper to meet this demand for everyone to fill every room in their house... typically on credit.

Not like our parents generation.

Says the Man with a BMW 7 series... As said earlier, take time to reflect on the toys you have that you really dont need. You might come to the conclusion that you are part of this generation as well.

If you have money and obtained it in morally sound and legal fashion you should have every right to spend it.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
sirex
King Sirex

People like to buy things.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Anyway, I don't really agree with your argument in regards to "well apple did it first, now look everyones copying it."
Your agreement isn't required when it comes to the legal matter of patent infringement. It's IP, it's what makes this interface good/possible, it was copied. Which is why Apple is succeeding getting the Android phone sales banned. (and before anyone calls hypocrisy, I'll admit that I'm aware that Motorola has succeeded in getting iphones banned in Germany due to 3G patent infringement - so Germans can't buy Androids OR iPhones? that's gotta suck)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #24
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
I don't think Apple is doing anything wrong.

I could see people complaining about forced labour but this obviously isn't the case. No one is forcing these people to work.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #25
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

I've been to the Foxconn factory in Shenzhen. It seemed liked the workers enjoyed their lives more than factory workers in Canada/North America.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #26
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Apple sucks, but thats because foxconn makes cheap garbage parts, like all their failing motherboards prior to apple, just sayin'
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #27
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

"To create just one iPad, it takes five days and 375 people."

I call BS!!! It take less time to hand build an M5!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #28
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

probably the company owners making scam products like baby formula filled with other unedible materials.

i don't think it's the min wage earners that are leaving the country for canada. they couldn't afford the flight over let alone buy a place here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Makes you wonder why people immigrate to Canada for a better life.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #29
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I don't think Apple is doing anything wrong.

I could see people complaining about forced labour but this obviously isn't the case. No one is forcing these people to work.
When you have to eat, or take care of your kids, you would work for $5/week if that was the best you could get! And Apple like so many other brands know that, and fully take advantage of it!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #30
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

There are so many poor jobless people that are willing to work, I dont see a problem with it.

No one is forcing them to line up for work, if they can do better tell them to go find another job. most of them are probably happy to even have a job that gives them a place to live and food to eat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: