Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Nate's Cryo M50 Stroker Build

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of putting an M50 stroker in my 1995 325is.

Got the car last summer. It was auto, black on black, with 173,000km. First thing to happen was an auto to manual swap. I put in some H and R springs and a couple parts that were left over from a previous 1992 325is that was scrapped.

A lot of people are saying / asking why didn't you do an M52 with upgrades. Simply, I just wanted to try something else. I am an automotive engineer with most of my schooling in design, but am currently working at Linamar in quality engineering. So just the idea of something that was more involved and hands on sold me, as I don't get a lot of that at work. I do all my own work, hence making this build a little more worth while.

I will be designing a custom exhaust for it as I have a friend that has the equipment to get it fully bent and created via my drawing as a one piece system. Essentially a piece of up to 9 foot tubing goes in, and your custom exhaust comes out.

I will be doing an almost full rebuild including head bolts, connecting rod bolts, all main and journal bearings, engine mounts, top and bottom end gasket kits, and a port and polish.

I purchased an M54 short block and cam and will be using my existing block. I hope to have this running by the middle of march.

After it is in I will be putting in HSD coilovers, and an E46 M3 6 speed. I will drive the car until mid summer, where the engine will be pulled again and be cryogenically treated. It will be dynoed immediately prior to treatment and then again after to see the gains and improvements. It will also be monitored to see if it runs a little cooler.

After the treatment is done it will see boost and the cryogenics will be put to the test.

Sorry for the long story, onto some pics.

The block the day I got it.

Just before I started

Front end removed

The 330 cam

I will update as I progress.

Comments, concerns, and questions welcome. Let me know what you think!
nate_s89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

GL I was waiting for someone on max to do this!
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Cryo treated!!! That's awesome! We did that on our school car with good results although it was only for a dif casing..

I would say run the engine on the track till it dies, but ied honestly be doin the same thing, so I can't talk..

Hope this turns out awesome!

Ps wanna get me a job this summer/are you guys hiring? I graduate Mech Eng this spring
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Cryo treated!!! That's awesome! We did that on our school car with good results although it was only for a dif casing..

I would say run the engine on the track till it dies, but ied honestly be doin the same thing, so I can't talk..

Hope this turns out awesome!

Ps wanna get me a job this summer/are you guys hiring? I graduate Mech Eng this spring
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
Some of the plants are short on man power these days. You shouldn't have a problem getting a job there if you were to put in a resume. But at the same time you shouldn't have a hard time finding a job a little closer to home.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

What does cryo treating the block do? I've heard of cryo treated rotors, but this is a lil different
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
What does cryo treating the block do? I've heard of cryo treated rotors, but this is a lil different
It does the same sort of thing to the block that it does to the rotors. Cryo treating relieves residual stresses left in the components from the manufacturing process and refines the microstructure of the material to give the parts increased durability as well as increased dimensional stability. The increased dimensional stability helps reduce wear on components and increases power transfer characteristics. You might not see any power gains from the cyro treatment itself but the increased durability of the components will give you the ability to run higher compression or higher boost and thatís where the big power gains are going to come from.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Why drive the car for a summer till cyro it? Why not do it while it's out?

Seems like alot of work...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
It does the same sort of thing to the block that it does to the rotors. Cryo treating relieves residual stresses left in the components from the manufacturing process and refines the microstructure of the material to give the parts increased durability as well as increased dimensional stability. The increased dimensional stability helps reduce wear on components and increases power transfer characteristics. You might not see any power gains from the cyro treatment itself but the increased durability of the components will give you the ability to run higher compression or higher boost and that’s where the big power gains are going to come from.
I see, that's pretty cool. Does it matter how long an engine has been used before it is cryo treated? For example, would it better to cryo treat an engine after it has been run hard for 50K to relieve stresses that happen from (ab)use or right when its new from the factory?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't really matter no, as the stress in question comes from the machining of the part more so, not the use. But cryo treating an engine that is already worn is only going to help reduce wear from that point on. So as long as the block or part is in good condition, it doesn't really matter when you treat it.

And T.Dot E30 its to have a good control before it is treated. If I don't dyno test it prior to treating it, then I am not going to be able to gauge the effects it has. I need to run it for a while to get good info before it is treated. The whole reason I am treating the engine is because a friend owns a a patent on a cryotreating process but usually does big mining equipment. This is an experiement to see the effects of his process on engines and the gains it has. If I didnt dyno it prior it would defeat the purpose of the treatment.
And the amount of work is the least of my worries. Pulling the engine will be a fun afternoon for me and my buddies, and it will give the me chance to put in a new clutch and the M3 6 speed.

Last edited by nate_s89; 02-15-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Drool, sounds like a fun project
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

nice build! totally appreciate what you are doing.
what plant are you at?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, and I am at Vehcom currently.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
I dismantled your M54

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote: