Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
richmak
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the E39 touring team! Hope you get issues fixed soon and start enjoying your car

Last edited by richmak; 01-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
jmack
2nd Gear Member

I pulled the alternator today. The PO is sending me a warranty replacement via BMW, so it's not a total PITA.

What made it easy was removing the 3 allen bolts on the fan, instead of removing the whole fan clutch/fan assembly. Once you get the fan shroud off it's easy.

Mark do you know if you used a new o-ring when you reinstalled? I pulled mine off the old unit but would probably get a new one anyway. I think NAPA can get me one next-day in town, it's something I neglected to get and I don't know if the warranty replacement will have it included.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #48
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

My rebuilt alt came with a big o ring for the alt, you new one may come with one, the question is if you can wait if doesn't and you have to order one. BMW wants too much for an o ring, if NAPA has it then go for it.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #49
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmak View Post
Welcome to the E39 touring team! Hope you get issues fixed soon and start enjoying your car

Was that you parked at Princess Auto few weeks ago or does your car have a twin!? lol
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Got the new alternator just now. Looks OK, except that the large o-ring is painted over in grep paint. Kinda dumb, I should use a fresh one.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #51
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Alternator is in, working, charging at 13.6v. Replaced VANOS solenoid seals at the same time. Engine bay is 100x cleaner than a couple days ago. It took a few days but I was moving slow cleaning things as I went.

After the test drive I drained the oil and pulled the pan to check for any foreign objects. Good news - there was absolutely nothing except oil in the bottom of the pan, no hint of debris. So that is good...
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #52
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Car has been running great, and I've been beating on it here and there on the backroads to make sure the new alternator is good

I have a bunch of parts from Tischer coming, mostly misc stuff but including a fuel filter and stuff to fix my dead drivers side windshield nozzle, new carpets (on sale @ $116) and a bunch of misc plastic stuff to fix fenders, new roundels, bla. Cabin filters from Autopartsway.

After I was sure the alternator was good I changed the oil/filter, oil pan gasket, air filter, oil cap, timing chain tensioner. Things are looking good! Preventative / OCD maintenance FTW. I am really enjoying wrenching on the car, and hoping that it treats me well in the coming months. We just had our first child, this is the designated people mover so it needs to be reliable. And no smoke in the cabin from shitty alternators.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #53
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Good job Jmack, she should be good to go just drive her every day and things work better. I bought my Touring for the same reasons and haven't look back, my kids are older now so when the e39 Touring goes I'm looking to go back to Porsche tho, the maintenance is about the same.

Edit: you should change that coolant hose at the back of the engine that I mentioned earlier on as it has a way of going unexpected like.

Last edited by MLue1; 01-25-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #54
richmak
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Was that you parked at Princess Auto few weeks ago or does your car have a twin!? lol
Definitely not me .. have been travelling for the past 2 months and my touring has been sitting in the garage. Hope the twin you have seen is not having the same set of 19" BBS RS-GT (or else I should really get the owner to do a dual picture) ...
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #55
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Congratulations on the new ride and the baby! Boy or girl? Funny, I couldn't sleep the night before I picked up the M5 either

These wagons are super coolin! I always loved the wagon, but hated BMW for not offering a stick for the 540iT. I can't believe there is a 3rd M5 iT now!!
I've got 3 kids. At one point, my ex 540-6 had 3 babyseats in the back and a double stroller in trunk. Come to think of it, my handle was chosen because I used to have one of the first Mk IV Jetta Wagons for a company car. It was "nice", but no 540.... The wind part is from windsurfing.

Last edited by windwagen; 02-12-2012 at 01:15 AM.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #56
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, it was a girl (we didn't know until she was born but had strong feelings it was a girl) and didn't even have any boys names picked out we were so certain. The day she was born a big snowstorm moved in, so it was perfect - wife in labor, 1 hr drive to hospital, middle of a snowstorm, I had just replaced the alternator in the wagon the night before so was a little nervous about that. I was going a little to fast on Hwy 7, talking on the phone to the sister-in-law, and of course I come upon a unmarked cruiser in the right lane... I just let the phone fall out of my ear and slowed, he didn't seem to care. Everything worked out fine in the end.

Got a bunch more maintenance stuff to do including:
- diff flush
- new windshield washer hose (major b***h not having the drivers side nozzle working in the winter) as well as new grommets for the bottle
- new motor mounts
- new tranny mounts
- new roundels
- assorted nuts, bolts, clips and screws to fix the front fenders liners
- new vac hoses
- fuel filter
- misc interiors parts including new plastic for the seats where the buttons are
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #57
windwagen
6th Gear Member

We are fortunate we live close to the Hospital. Our second kid came really fast though. Even though we were so close, my wife was screaming. I though it was funny but when I started slowing for a red light, I got this feeling I was going to get slugged if I stop. So I crossed the REDs on the only two intersections we went through.

We went in and the nurse took her ina wheelchair and ran....literally ran. I left the car in by the hospital door and I went after them. So while they're stripping my wife and getting her on a bed I ask....uh, I left the camera in the car, I'm going to go get it. The nurse looks me in the eye.... there's no time.

So I call my mom, who came to my house to babysit my son. Hi mom, can you come over here and get th........uh ....never mind.

An hour later, I remember I never parked the car. It was still there, lights on, passenger door still open, keys in the ignition. I don't remember shutting it off. Maybe somebody switched it off? ha ha

Lucky for me, my list is not as long as yours.

Figure out the DSP/Satnav - I think I got most of it with help from forums like this.
Headlamp adjusters, Wiper relay - these could be covered under warranty
Replaced cracked fogs
Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #58
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
We are fortunate we live close to the Hospital. Our second kid came really fast though. Even though we were so close, my wife was screaming. I though it was funny but when I started slowing for a red light, I got this feeling I was going to get slugged if I stop. So I crossed the REDs on the only two intersections we went through.

We went in and the nurse took her ina wheelchair and ran....literally ran. I left the car in by the hospital door and I went after them. So while they're stripping my wife and getting her on a bed I ask....uh, I left the camera in the car, I'm going to go get it. The nurse looks me in the eye.... there's no time.

So I call my mom, who came to my house to babysit my son. Hi mom, can you come over here and get th........uh ....never mind.

An hour later, I remember I never parked the car. It was still there, lights on, passenger door still open, keys in the ignition. I don't remember shutting it off. Maybe somebody switched it off? ha ha

Lucky for me, my list is not as long as yours.

Figure out the DSP/Satnav - I think I got most of it with help from forums like this.
Headlamp adjusters, Wiper relay - these could be covered under warranty
Replaced cracked fogs
Alex did this all just happen? did you go the Hospital by me?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #59
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Yes - Markham Stouffville. But our second kid was born in 2003

This was pre-540 in fact. We had a Silver Jetta Wagon at the time, hence my handle. The wind part is from windsurfing.

Fawk...we almost had 4th coming!!! I was kinda dissappointed rather than relieved when the test was negative. But then I'd be reduced to a 7 passenger wagon which leaves only 2 choices. Older Volvo V70R - newer ones are only 5 seat and are way too slow. The other choice, if you can find one is E55 wagon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: