Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
2bmw2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkley View Post
It's not an oil LEVEL issue according to the car. IDK what oil they used, but since it's the dealership I expect that it's the proper kind. The car was supposedly just serviced and brought to CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) status. That's part of what disappoints me. Paid EXTRA for this because I got it from a dealer it was supposed to be in perfect condition. (to their credit, I have new tires, pads and rotors and all the other "check" systems in the car show 10K+ kms until service)
You should just take it to the dealer, you can't easily make a diagnosis remotely.
2bmw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

In for what they say, my money is on the compressor clutch pulley being noisy
Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Merkley
Wanna be a racecar driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bmw2 View Post
You should just take it to the dealer, you can't easily make a diagnosis remotely.
Yep, headed there today after work. The problem I have is that it's intermittent and that's why I recorded it. I have a feeling that the noise will not be there when I arrive at the dealership and they are going to give me some line "well it's not there now". I don't want to leave my car there for days because I am still discovering little 'things' on it that I want address while the ink is fresh on the sale AND while I am under the new car warranty (until the 26th only!)

Little things like I can't get my pathway lighting to work. I think it's a user error, but I have tried what other posters say many times and it just does not work. The headlights come on and stay on, but not the little lights under the door. Under new car warranty its covered, under CPO it's not.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Merkley

UPDATE:

Even though I had sent the video from my phone to the SA he had not been able to play it I was disappointed that they would not contact me to tell me they couldn't play the video. I could have converted to a .wav or .mp3. He also was young enough he could have sent it to his phone and played it. ANYWAY, just not great service IMO. Fine, have a problem; but wait 2 days until the customer is in the shop to tell them? BOO!

I played the video for him on my phone and he somewhat beat around the bush but did eventually say "that is not a normal sound". I was happy that he agreed without much 'fuss'. The main guy is away this week on education so I am going back next Wednesday. He also will share the video with his main guy but said he would want to hear the noise himself. I fear I will be without a car for a while if that's the case; intermittent noises can be from hell to find... seeing as I have 19 days of "new car" warranty left I am not happy to lose it for any of that time. I want to find out what else is going to break... do some hard driving, test it out.

... and my 'under the door handle' lighting IS BROKEN TOO. The whole CPO thing seems like a pretty shit process right now. In 6 days of ownership I have an engine problem and lighting failure. Makes you wonder what you get from them if you don't get a CPO vehicle!?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkley View Post
UPDATE:

Even though I had sent the video from my phone to the SA he had not been able to play it I was disappointed that they would not contact me to tell me they couldn't play the video. I could have converted to a .wav or .mp3. He also was young enough he could have sent it to his phone and played it. ANYWAY, just not great service IMO. Fine, have a problem; but wait 2 days until the customer is in the shop to tell them? BOO!

I played the video for him on my phone and he somewhat beat around the bush but did eventually say "that is not a normal sound". I was happy that he agreed without much 'fuss'. The main guy is away this week on education so I am going back next Wednesday. He also will share the video with his main guy but said he would want to hear the noise himself. I fear I will be without a car for a while if that's the case; intermittent noises can be from hell to find... seeing as I have 19 days of "new car" warranty left I am not happy to lose it for any of that time. I want to find out what else is going to break... do some hard driving, test it out.

... and my 'under the door handle' lighting IS BROKEN TOO. The whole CPO thing seems like a pretty shit process right now. In 6 days of ownership I have an engine problem and lighting failure. Makes you wonder what you get from them if you don't get a CPO vehicle!?
Eh, don't stress too much, the noise is intermitted, which means its not te turbos or the valves as those would be constant. I still say ac clutch pulley, since 99.999999% of cars turn the compressor on when you change the blower setting to window, feet and window since cold air clears condensation quicker and its dry air since the a.c. system produces dry air. Also, it sounds like its noise is consistant with the engine turning, aka, something that is belt powered, and intermittent, so that leaves Ac clutch pulley and alternator, since both don't run 24/7 but in cycles. Alternators however can be heard phasing through the radio, and otherwise are not audible even when failing.

Last edited by 5style; 02-07-2012 at 08:59 PM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
Merkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
Eh, don't stress too much, the noise is intermitted, which means its not te turbos or the valves as those would be constant. I still say ac clutch pulley, since 99.999999% of cars turn the compressor on when you change the blower setting to window, feet and window since cold air clears condensation quicker and its dry air since the a.c. system produces dry air. Also, it sounds like its noise is consistant with the engine turning, aka, something that is belt powered, and intermittent, so that leaves Ac clutch pulley and alternator, since both don't run 24/7 but in cycles. Alternators however can be heard phasing through the radio, and otherwise are not audible even when failing.
I agree that it sounds consistant with the engine turning. It's just that it was pretty loud.... it was louder than it seems on the video... lol

Thanks for the details. I'll follow up after I meet with them next week... hopefully with the problem solved even.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
damameke
6th Gear Member

PM BMW 335, he is a member here and a SA for Maranello BMW, he can help.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
Merkley

^cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: