Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #706
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^This^^

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #707
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

apparently you dont read... he got the car less than 4 yrs ago..that was his estimation on line age...and its only speculation, as is the hanging the line theory. He also stated at the possible 4 yr age they were long overdue for a change.

ive personally seen enough failures and *gasp* also read about enough to not be a dimwit about chancing brake lines. you need to inspect them everytime you hit the track and seriously think about changing them after a season...depending on how much use they got and the condition they are in. 2 yrs is probably a good balance.

how can you think they are a one time purchase?
You dont run those brake lines until it fails. The goal is the replace it a suitable time interval before failure. Its called preventative maintenance and after market SS lines definitely need more attention than other parts do.

if you want to chance it motoring down the back straight at mosport, be my guest.

Dont try to lambaste me for offering up good safety advice.

Last edited by SiR; 01-06-2012 at 09:42 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #708
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
apparently you dont read... he got the car less than 4 yrs ago..that was his estimation on line age...and its only speculation, as is the hanging the line theory. He also stated at the possible 4 yr age they were long overdue for a change.

ive personally seen enough failures and *gasp* also read about enough to not be a dimwit about chancing brake lines. you need to inspect them everytime you hit the track and seriously think about changing them after a season...depending on how much use they got and the condition they are in. 2 yrs is probably a good balance.

how can you think they are a one time purchase?
You dont run those brake lines until it fails. The goal is the replace it a suitable time interval before failure. Its called preventative maintenance and after market SS lines definitely need more attention than other parts do.

if you want to chance it motoring down the back straight at mosport, be my guest.

Dont try to lambaste me for offering up good safety advice.

I agree that by no means are SS lines good for a lifetime. They will wear out eventually. However where do you come up with they should be a 2 year PM item? Iím sure there are some guys who change their lines after every season, and some guys that do it after two seasons, and probably some guys who go even longer. It really comes down to balancing incurred costs with peace of mind. Based on the cost of a set of SS lines anyone who races competitively will be ok with spending a couple hundred $ every season for that peace of mind, and most people who track their cars regularly would probably accept eating that cost every couple years or so. Itís just the same as guys who do oil changes every 5k with synthetic. Does the oil need to be changed? No, but for them the peace of mind is worth the cost.

That being said, who knows what the life cycle of an SS line is? I donítÖ you donítÖ and most of the people who have had failures donít either. Do the manufacturers of DOT compliant SS lines specify a life cycle for their product? I havenít seen anything. There are all kinds of stories out there about SS lines failing, but the life cycle isnít consistent. Some guys have their lines fail after a few months, while others (myself included) go a few years with no failures. There are several factors at play here. Are the lines coated? When the lines were installed were the wheels cycled from lock to lock while the suspension was loaded and unloaded to ensure thereís no binding, excessive bend radius, or potential abrasion points? Did the lines get overly twisted when the fittings were being tightened? What sort of climate and road conditions are the lines subjected to? Ö the list goes on.

At the end of the day the important thing is to thoroughly inspect your brake components on a regular basis, and especially every time before you head out on the track. If something appears to be worn or damaged, replace it. If everything looks ok, it probably is ok. Worst case scenario is that you have uncoated lines and invisible damage is occurring because some particulate has worked its way between the braid and ground down the Teflon lining. You will develop a leak. It will ruin your day, but it wonít be the end of the world.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #709
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
^^ This is correct

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #710
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunter View Post
Awesome build! Read it start to finish over 1 1/2 days at work (shhhh don't tell the boss! ). So who's build do I read now??

A little OT but how do you like the mastercraft impact wrench you got and what model is it? I was looking at those this morning before I dove back into this thread and the reviews are mixed. I would really like to grab one for when I start ripping apart my E30. (Sorry John, doesn't look like you'll get a chance to see my "clean", "mint", "rust free", "parts car" this year! I wanted to do at least one of the school's but I guess I'll wait until next year. Hopefully I'll be able to come out and spectate again though!)

Thanks!

Yeah I've used the gun a few times already. Just for wheels so far. It's been busting everything loose I've tried it on so far!

Here is the model I have:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

It also comes with two batteries which is nice!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #711
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Got the car out today since it was a pretty nice day.

Decided to start messing around with the brake ducts that haven't been installed yet. I found some nice brackets that will work perfectly to hold the ducts. They bolt right up to the frame rail. Better than mounting them right to the bumper because now I can take the bumper off without having to disconnect anything. Until I get the undertray sorted out of course.

I definitely have a lot of cleaning up to do with the car. Going to repaint the interior this spring, and also changing out most of the hardware on the car with new stuff.

So I made up a list of "To-do's" in order to be ready for spring:

-Shock rebuild
-Install new Hood and Front Bumper
-Solve Brake issue
-Finish Brake ducts
-Add front swaybar
-Wire cut-off switch
-Mount undertray
-Bore out the gas filler
-Duel fuel pumps
-Reseal Diff with new Fluid
-New front Spacers
-Install Rackstops
-Change Power steering lines
-Rebuild Vanos

Lots of fun stuff to get started on soon

Last edited by doogee; 02-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #712
davericher20
black and blue

It looks goooood! I would hate to be your neighbour with those straight pipes lol. Repaint the interior though??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #713
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
It looks goooood! I would hate to be your neighbour with those straight pipes lol. Repaint the interior though??
Yeah I had it running all afternoon

I want to repaint the interior just because it doesn't look the way it did when I just painted it. I rattle canned the entire inside which took forever and took about 10 years off my life. So I'm going to roller paint it this time. The paint will be much more durable and I'll actually be able to clean it unlike the spray paint!

Should look pretty

Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #714
doogee
Stance is Gay.

I should also mention my great friend Dave is hooking me up with some black surgical tubing for those crazy Friday nights.

I kid, I kid. My seat makes putting your harness on impossible. You have to grab the lap belts and hold onto them while you get into the seat. Otherwise you'll end up sitting on them and you have to try again. So I needed something to hold them up for me. Found out the "pros" use surgical tubing.

It's a must have in a series where you're doing driver changes. I obviously dont need them for that reason but I want to do the lap belts for sure!

Last edited by doogee; 02-04-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #715
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Did you clear the interior after you rattlecan'd it?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #716
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Did you clear the interior after you rattlecan'd it?
Definitely not. Would of cost a fortune to do that. I used a spray enamel.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #717
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Got the car out today since it was a pretty nice day.

Decided to start messing around with the brake ducts that haven't been installed yet. I found some nice brackets that will work perfectly to hold the ducts. They bolt right up to the frame rail. Better than mounting them right to the bumper because now I can take the bumper off without having to disconnect anything. Until I get the undertray sorted out of course.

I definitely have a lot of cleaning up to do with the car. Going to repaint the interior this spring, and also changing out most of the hardware on the car with new stuff.

So I made up a list of "To-do's" in order to be ready for spring:

-Shock rebuild
-Install new Hood and Front Bumper
-Solve Brake issue
-Finish Brake ducts
-Add front swaybar
-Wire cut-off switch
-Mount undertray
-Bore out the gas filler
-Duel fuel pumps
-Reseal Diff with new Fluid
-New front Spacers
-Install Rackstops
-Change Power steering lines
-Rebuild Vanos
-change SS brake lines ( cause SIR said so)

Lots of fun stuff to get started on soon

FIXED LOL
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #718
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
So I'm going to roller paint it this time. The paint will be much more durable and I'll actually be able to clean it unlike the spray paint!

Should look pretty
I wonder where you got that idea from

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #719
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

uhh pure noob question LOL

: what is that black box thing beside the drivers seat with wires connected to it?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #720
NITRO89
Slammed E36

were did u get the paint from the bumpers came out really good
NITRO89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: