Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

New guy from Ottawa!

Hello everyone, my names Anson. 17 year old from Montreal originally, I came across this e30 on a local add and couldn't pass it up.

So, lets start off with some history. I saw the ad on kijiji asking for $1500 for a 1989 BMW 325i sedan with 245k on it, and figured it couldnt be worth much since all the other ones were listed at over $3000. There was no pics in the ad, so through emails he send me pics of this gem. Love at first sight? I think so. Went over the next day with cash in hand and prepared to negotiate. Lucky for me, the car wouldnt start. It was just cranking over and over. (It sat for 6 months prior)

I figured what the hell. Offered him $400 cash, and with reasoning it was settled at $500 cash for the beast. I paid $65 for a tow truck to tow it to my house, and since then I've been trouble shooting and cleaning the car. :hehe:

Last night, nearing the end of December, things got serious. I bought brand new fuses and replaced all of them. I checked the fuses before (first thing I did) but apparently I ****ed up cause more than half of them were blown!

After 10 minutes of cranking, it came to life. Went for a quick drive - no plates, no windshield, not registered - down my street and back, she drives like a beauty. This is how it sits currently.

Replaced the driver's seat because it was torn to shit. Still need to swap the heating element over and it'll be solid.

I need a new windshield for the safety, and an o2 sensor for etest. All basic maintenance will be done soon enough.

Oh and theres a new battery in there. The old one was way undersized.

I joined here to learn and gain help from the fellow e30 owners, and hope to be a part of the bmw community.

Last edited by Wuzie; 01-16-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Wuzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Your Christmas lights are cute. This summer is going to be like...

REVENGE OF THE RISE OF THE RETURN OF THE BRONZIT E30zzz...

I am excited. This looks like a great deal for the car! Just remember, I've got the WHOLE black leather houndstooth interior dude...with door cards...for a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Indeed! My house is always light up nicely, the garage, not so much lol.

Heres a short vid right after I got it running, pardon the language! Im the brown kid with the City hoodie on.

And this has been ordered.

My last name is Freeman

Last edited by Wuzie; 01-16-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
msinger
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to a new Ottawa guy!
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Just a heads up, I had a new windshield installed in my car in August. Speedy Glass did it for $360 tax in.
karmatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tip, but Im scooping a windshield from a member on here for $80, and Im gonna install it myself. I removed my old one and put it back in with no troubles, only difficult part was the locking strip. I read online that if I soak it in hot water to make it more flexible and use soapy water as lube, it should slide in fine.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

The only hard part I've encountered with windshields is taking them out without cracking them. Looks like a promising start for a fun project. Car looks a bit ratty, but that just means you can go crazy with it without feeling bad about molesting a pristine example.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzie View Post
Thanks for the tip, but Im scooping a windshield from a member on here for $80, and Im gonna install it myself. I removed my old one and put it back in with no troubles, only difficult part was the locking strip. I read online that if I soak it in hot water to make it more flexible and use soapy water as lube, it should slide in fine.
You can get a tool that sets it really easy. The lock strip feeds into it and you just kinda slide the tool in the rubber. Probably easiest to do it while the rubber seal around the window is very warm (like on a sunny day).

After breaking a windshield in my 318i trying to get it out, I decided to just throw money at the problem of putting a new one in. After seeing the guys put my new one in, I was so mad at myself for letting someone else do it.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I went to the junkyard and shattered 2 windshields trying to remove them but in my heated garage the old one came off without a scratch. Thanks for the tool, think I can probably rig something instead of spending $50 on something I'd use occasionally haha.

& thanks for the compliments about the car, yeah its not in mint shape, but it is a 23 year old car in Ottawa lol. With minimal rust (only 2 spots, surface rust) and we use a loooot of salt!

By summer time it will be in spectacular condition

- coils, m50 soon, new paintjob, all the little diys and more.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

I used a screwdriver...

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzie View Post
Thanks for the tool, think I can probably rig something instead of spending $50 on something I'd use occasionally haha.
Bend up some coat hanger and gaffer tape it to a screw driver.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Will do guys, thanks for the help!

Im just a few steps closer from being street legal
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

So a little update: Found a paint matched bumper/valance at the junkyard in minty condition, as well as the side mirrors painted.

Little crappy iphone update haha
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

SUck my dick bitch, that was my ****ing valance and you stole it.

Jokes jokes, it looks good dude! And that's really sad that there is such a minty 4 door there. Apparently the car ran when it was dropped off at the junk yard. I got the fenders, Bilstein shocks and the brake ducts.

Too bad you didn't grab those fogs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, did you notice the spare tire area? It was pushed up, maybe the gas tank got affected from it? who knows..

Super bummed about the fogs they were like new. Whatever though, Im glad I grabbed the valance and bumper.. I have my old bumper if you want to buy, its in great shape I think its new (old owner replaced?) its all gloss black.

Wish the thing had ellipsoids instead of sealed beams haha.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: